1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why is it so hard to buy a television?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Yonatan, Apr 20, 2021.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a TCL 43" 4K smart tv.... I don't use any internet functions, it's just a TV...

it's on all day every day since I bought it a few years ago..... seems to work OK..:)

fortunately our free to air TV has enough channels/programs to find something to watch.... My PC has a TV receiver card in it too, which I use if there are two things on I want to check out or I can stream online sport, etc...

I don't watch movies or download them or have any subscription channels.....

Nightclub Dwight and PingGuo like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a snot-nosed kid of 23 or 24, I got a job selling TV's and Stereos at Montgomery Ward. I worked with several "old school" salesmen who taught me many old tricks of the trade. One of those tricks was to avoid dealing with an engineer or a man who smoked a pipe. (and especially a pipe smoking engineer) Why? A pipe smoker spent more wasted time fiddling and playing with his pipe to make a decision.....and an engineer wanted to dissect every single aspect of the TV.....down to the source of the knobs. The LAST thing they were interested in was picture quality......so which are you? ;)
    Like everyone says, go to a reputable store, find one the right size and price that has a good picture, and buy it. It REALLY is that simple.
    BTW.....is there any programming in Israel worth watching? You're lucky! ;)

Yonatan likes this.
  3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

46" Plasma owner here!! Picture quality is fabulous. Make....Panasonic, I think? Too consumed with this riveting thread to bother to go look. TV means that much to me. :lol:

WTRT likes this.
  4. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

It’s not hard at all...buy a Samsung or Sony, problem solved.

5. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

We bought a Samsung 'dumb' TV about 9 years ago, it was cheap because all the new 'smart' TVs were hitting the market. Stuck a Chromecast in it, and we stream everything through that.

TV is still going strong, so no complaints, although it's had a new Chromecast, as the original one was very 'original' :D

So, as others have said, get a decent spec TV that you like the look of with a name on it that you recognise. Like phones, the firmware/apps in TVs don't get updated after a (short) while, so there's built in obsolescence there. So just use the latest apps on a device of your choice and run them through the Chromecast/Roku/Apple/Firestick, job done.

SRHmusic and nojazzhere like this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It's hard to judge a TV in the store with the factory settings.

cyclopean likes this.
  7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I've totally jinxed it now, haven't I? Watch out for my 'I need a new TV' post soon.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know. I've never bought a television.

If she wants you to choose, just buy one. Don't sweat the small stuff.

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder what they call Best Buy in Israel.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Go to Costco (or?), pick one that shows a picture, go to the checkout.
    If it's hard then you are suddenly considering things that are new to you.
    So maybe the "learning" is hard, not the buying. :D (That would be me)

I do this everytime I buy a computer. I get worn out, then I just buy something and never think of all the things I worried about until.... wait for it.... Next time I buy a computer!

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Last time I had to buy one, it was for my granddaughter for xmas. I was told it needed to have Roku. I have no idea what it is. I just payed

12. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We have a 4 year old Samsung 55” Smart tv. It’s been great. Our last 3 TV sets have been Samsung

The picture is still good even though standard (non-HD) channels seem to be slightly degraded from a year ago. Maybe it’s just my tired old eyes

13. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I haven't bought a TV for over a decade. We have 4 in the house ((2) 32", 42" & 50") and I just sold an LG 55" to my niece cheap. I just look for broken ones and repair them for less than $50.

Most flat screen TV's have less than 3 circuit boards on them that go bad. I just watch a boob tube video to learn about how to troubleshoot which one has gone bad and go to shopjimmy dot com and buy the board and replace it.

The last one I repaired was a Samsung LED 32" that only needed a $.70 capacitor on the power board. Great picture for a TV that cost me less than a dollar. The 42" and 50"s are Panasonic plasmas that cost me less than $100 to repair for the both of them. The 55" LG LED I sold to my niece cost me $45 to repair.

I refuse(nor can I afford) the latest/largest or best for our house and I figure it helps keeping them from the landfill at least for a few years.

Next time your TV takes a dump and you want to save a lot of money, take it apart and figure it out. It really isn't rocket science.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    PingGuo likes this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The idea is for the consumer to be overwhelmed with variables so the salesperson can have roomn to hawk the most profitable items. It's not very hard to do online research and price-checking and determine what's most desirable for you, and I recommend doing that. I rarely find a store, even the big ones, that has much choice given the spects I seek, and as a consequence you can end up compromising or getter the wrong thing. So I decide what features and price I want, and is currently available, and then start with going to whatever plac e has that. It's a pain in the butt. They want to seel what they have and makes money for them, not what you want. Last place I went to, I'd say 50% or more of the stuff on the floor was already obsolete or was a good unit... a year ago.

cyclopean and nojazzhere like this.
  15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I decide a size, a resolution and a speed. From there it is a picture I like and price. Not so hard.

16. trev333

The day I went tv shopping I had seen a model that I liked on special, but they had sold out when I looked ..typical.

they had two tv's on display that were the screen size I wanted.... I inquired about the better one of those two ..

it was the only one they had in stock.... so, I said unplug that one and I'll take it.... sales guy gave me another 50 off which put it just under 500 with all the full warranty that went with it.... I figured it was running at the store all day and was still going, it couldn't be too bad...

2 1/2 yrs later it hasn't missed a beat...:)

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I witnessed a drunken lady Banjo saleswoman at a musical festival one time when asked which one of her banjos was the best? She replied well hell honey there ain't hardly a nickel's worth of difference in any of 'em just buy the one you like. I'm pretty sure TVs are like that too. I recently bought a Samsung 58" tv because I have a recess in the wall, and that's the biggest that would fit in there. I ordered mine from Costco Online and it was unbelievably easy. The delivery guy brought it and set it down in my living room about six feet from where it was going to end up. That evening my son came over and we set it up, and that was it. No problemo. I looked online, and there is supposed to be a pretty easy shipping solution for getting one from Costco to Israel. I don't know a darned thing about any of that other than what I read.

Nightclub Dwight and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Just don't get one with their "brower". I inherited a Samsung from my dad and you can't download a different browser.

northernguitar likes this.
  19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got a little thing called a dongle that I plug into an HDMI port on my dumb TV and I can stream Amazon Prime and other streaming services from my cell phone. On Android phones there's a built-in app called Smart View, you just open that up and then you just select the little "casting" device, whatever kind you buy, and it'll play on your phone and the TV at the same time.

aging_rocker likes this.
  20. trev333

The only weird thing about this TCL is there are no buttons on the TV to adjust picture/change ch/ vol etc.... only a reset button.

I didn't think about that function when choosing a tv, I thought they all had manual control buttons on the TV itself...

I did get two remotes for it though, all functions are controlled by the remote...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.