1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why is it so hard to buy a television?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Yonatan, Apr 20, 2021.

1. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

The app wasn't built into their OS and there was no way to add it. I just want to watch these things through the TV with no add ins and nothing else to buy.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

WRT smart & streaming via apps etc, purchasing individual networks like separately as opposed to from on service provider, it seems some incompatibility can happen.
    I know of cases where a user cannot hear sound on an individual network they pay for, on their own TV, but the sound works on friends TVs when they log in with their own user info. Seems it's an issue between their TV software and the network app software.

I'd bet that with time we see more and more outdated incompatibility issues, just like phones and computers.

3. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

:):):) Precious

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd stay away from any 19" portables with the built in antenna.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just buy a Yamaha. They make TVs, right?

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What if it has NOS tubes?

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Whatever you buy for $2000 will be $1000 next year. What costs $1000 will drop to &500. Just buy a name brand TV with the features you need and nothing more. I have to replace a 40” TV and I don’t plan on spending more than $400.

Asmith and nojazzhere like this.
  8. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've really learned to value offloading thinking. Do you have anyone in your life that has a consumer reports sub? This kind of activity is perfect for that.

I also find it's useful to just arbitrarily pick a brand and go with the one that fits what you're looking for. We did that a few years ago with out last TV purchase.

We could have spent between $500 and $3000 comfortably. It was crazy. There were literally hundreds of choices.

At the time Vizio was at the top of the budget market. So I just got one of those. Good price, decent looking specs, decent meta reviews.

It was like $400 for a 55" screen. It has lasted for years, still looks decent and has no dead spots.

It's not the best looking panel on the market but it more than meets our needs. I'm not sure I could be persuaded to buy a high end model going forward. It's not like I'm trying to recreate a home theater experience.

idk, the whole thing is absurd when you stop to think about it.

9. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Bought an LG 50 or 55" a year or so ago. $350, works fine. If it breaks, I'll do the same thing, but maybe a different brand. It does everything I want it to do, plus a whole bunch of stuff I didn't know TVs do these days . 350 every 5 years of so is not a lot, considering what people pay for cable, which I never will.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I called my brother (he knows about such things) and he told me to buy a Sony or a Samsung.
    And just get the highest spec unit that I wanted to pay for.

11. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

you decide..trust your eyes. cheer's..

12. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Don't overthink it. It's a disposable utility. It's hard to get burned unless you overpay for "state-of-the-art" tech that's going to be outdated in 4 years.

I decided on a budget ($600 - $800) and size range (55" - 65") and found Sonys, Toshibas, Samsungs, LGs, etc., at the local Best Buy that came in at or below budget. Grabbed a Sony that came in below my budget. Completely satisfied.

P.S. I remember thinking that the Samsung looked better. But my wife is trapped in the olden days when Sony was the top dog in terms of reputation. I think those days are over but whatever.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    PingGuo likes this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

it's not
    just go to goodwill

14. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

IMG_20191223_104812988.jpg

Blrfl likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I finished dealing with specs or investing big money in TV's.
    The inexpensive LG (or other) 4K models sold at Target are good enough. I don't need a smart TV.

TV's are just computers with a receiver and various media inputs. Also, the Android TV version on my Sony Bravia sucks goat gonads.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Fair enough.

My 9 year old works and I have two spares I got free at my job, one because the cable connection got ripped out but now it's all HDMI.

My neighbor across the street runs an airbnb and constantly renovates/ upgrades.
    He put three working TV's on the lawn with a free sign and it took a few days to get rid of them.
    They were all newer than my set.

If a user has a Roku or other box they don't need a smart TV, and some even prefer it that way, though I guess all sets are smart now since the board with the smart part only costs two bucks in China dollars.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I got mea Samsung Curved TV a couple years ago. Love the picture on this thing and you get a good look where ever you're standing in the room.
    LCD 4k Smart TV. Got it when there were getting rid of them for the 8k models and the 4k's were finally at a reasonable price.

One problem I've had lately is finding a good and dependable Blu-Ray Player. They never seem to last long and they'll lock up if you just look at them wrong.:mad:

18. NC E30

NC E30 TDPRI Member

It is really annoying that they go obsolete so quickly. The smart tv i bought for the bedroom stopped working with Amazon Prime, YouTube, and most other applications within 2 years, with no way to update the apps. Luckily we haven't cut the cord, because the tv works great except for the smart functions.

SRHmusic likes this.
  19. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The trick to buying a TV is to use it as a display and nothing else. If you get some other functions out of it for a short time, it's gravy.

The daily-use TV in my family room is a 46" Samsung that I bought in 2011. My A/V receiver provides it with picture, and it sends audio back down the cable when I'm using it to watch over-the-air TV. It's got all of the "smart" stuff in it and wasn't anything to write home about ten years ago. I have no idea if it would even work anymore, nor do I care because it still functions just fine as a display. My content sources are a BluRay player, a custom-built DVR and a Roku. The Roku's been upgraded a couple of times over the years, and these days that's a $40 upgrade for the latest and greatest. The TV doesn't care. Yours probably won't, either.

That said, I did buy a TCL with Roku built in for my bedroom last year. When TCL stops supporting it, I'll plug whatever the latest and greatest gadget is into one of the HDMI ports and that will become the new default thing. No fuss, no muss and no buying a whole new TV.

20. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Find one with a good picture and remote control. If you get the remote control without digits, you'll be scrolling through all the channels, like mine.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.