1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why is it so hard to buy a television?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Yonatan, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

One of my daughters asked for some help picking out a television, and I feel like I'm reading a foreign language when I look at the specs on televisions today.

And I can build a PC from parts, complete with triple boot to Windows, Ubuntu, or Hackintosh. So I don't think that I'm technically challenged :)

There's something seriously wrong.

And, by the way, don't even try to recommend any model, because it seems that manufacturers only market to each country/region its own unique models, which makes it impossible to rely on international reviews.

2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'd just head over to Best Buy, or one of those other massive tv sellers, look at the one that appears to have a good picture, pick a desired screen size, and if the price seems ok, buy it.

I don't get very hung up on the technical specs.

We still have the 65 inch plasma set I bought about fifteen years ago, and as far as I can tell, it suits us very well, has never given us a lick of trouble.

Oh, sure, it ain't a very 'smart' tv, but I couldn't care less about that sort of thing, and being so old, it's not likely to be spying on us and sending our images and verbal conversations to the mother ship.

RomanS, Drew617, Telekarster and 17 others like this.
  3. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

They're so reliable now just get a big brand smart TV in the biggest screen for application, with speculation on if it will need to be moved. Big brand will be potentially easier to pair with devices and wireless systems in the future.

Tonetele likes this.
  4. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I did that too. Only to get it home and find out that it didn't support Amazon prime. These days you need to know all of the channels you watch and make sure any TV you buy supports ALL of them. I didn't even know there was a TV that wouldn't support Amazon Prime. My current TV won't support CBS all access.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Analysis Paralysis. Too many options. Pick a size, pick a budget, GO! There's no way to know at any price point which one will last the longest. And that's by design. And the sales people don't know any more than you do.
    So the answer to your question is it's hard if you make it hard.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Size, features, price.

7. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

This is one of the reasons Costco is an unbeatable force. They only sell good tv's, at every price point, with the best warranty.

8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

If all your daughter wants to do is watch TV, just pick one that's the size you want and fits your budget. They're all basically the same. Things like aspect ratio, refresh rate and whatnot only matter if you watch a lot of BluRay movies or you're a hardcore gamer.

A "smart" TV is nice because it makes all of your streaming services readily accessible. Recognizable brands (Samsung, LG, Sony, etc.) will also tend to have friendlier user interfaces and mesh well with all of your devices....But I suspect that the TVs themselves are likely all made in the same Chinese factories.

MrCairo46, loopfinding and nojazzhere like this.
  9. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Well, it's supported, but the app isn't built into the set's OS, right? That's okay for me, I'd rather use the 4K Firestick or an AppleTV anyway as it's not clear to me whether manufacturers support 4K streaming in their app implementations. Prime's a weird one for a manufacturer not to include.

OP, just figure out what size you need and how much you want to spend. What's "best" in this space is pretty nebulous. 75" Sharp is in our living room. $1100 two years ago (same price I paid for a Panny 50" in 2011), looks great to me.

Nightclub Dwight and getbent like this.
  10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I think it took me less than 2 minutes to buy the last one a little over a year ago..,.not hard at all.....

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Samsung. For sale, everywhere.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

See here boychick. I just went through the whole ordeal. Every company is competing with each other AND theriselves. It seems new up grades and or models /improvements are on a 4-6 month basis. I went from considering the $900 range to the $1200 range, then jumped up to the $2200 range. THe important thing is the more powerful the engine is, the belter it does everything. Everything includes uploading old format to get its best and enhance it. My TV screen is now my center channel,(Sony). I purchased Sony cause they have the best colors. Anyway, you can buy 2-3 generations of the same model and they all could have come out within a year & 1/2 of each other. Fyi mine is a 55"

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

This might help:

They put a timer in TVs that make them stop working at a preset time depending on the retail price.
    Buy an expensive one that lasts longer and you're stuck with old tech in five years.
    In USD we're talking $175 vs $1750.
    Buy the cheapest one in the store that covers basic expectations and later you choose the latest tech for a cheap price.

I made up the timer idea but at work I have 40 TV sets to keep functioning, and the cheap ones last three years while the expensive ones last a good bit longer.
    The plastic screens get scuffed from cleaning, the remotes get dropped and beat up, why keep them for ten years?

My TV was $700 in 2012 and I almost wish the thing would finally die, but preferably at a convenient time.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Sony may use other parts, but their construction
    and durability is way better. imho

howardlo likes this.
  15. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Just got my 1st flat tv last week. Before i had a small cathodic tv. Image is ok, sound is a bit disapointing.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  16. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Or do what we do, don't own a TV. I do have a big computer monitor for the rare occasion where we want to watch something on a big screen (and I normally just use it as an external monitor for my laptop). The "special model" thing has been going on for decades, it's just a way to make it impossible to compare prices or ask for price matching, mostly those are the same box labelled differently. As for brands I'd say Samsung or LG but I'm not really up to date.

17. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We just went out and got the one that would only receive that reality show about the two sleeping cats...couldn't be happier with the programming and super-clear picture.
    Screenshot_20201116-092638~2.png

WTRT, cyclopean, Jerry J and 16 others like this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it is hard to buy a television because everyone is valuing different qualities unevenly. There is no 'best' tv anymore, and the field is wide and deep.

You can simplify it (costco method) get sucked into features you cannot see or detect (going from 400-800-2200) and you can think an 'all in one' is a good idea or bad idea.

Lots to consider especially when, according to most threads here, no one on TDPRI watches television.

in the words of the great Spock: Fascinating.

beanluc and Buckocaster51 like this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like the flexibility of components, like a good monitor or projector, a $50 or $100 Roku and a stereo system. The new TV's with built in WiFi and apps are going to obsolete themselves in five years, I bet, based on how things go with other systems with old firmware, including some stereo receivers. ("no longer supporting updates...") Plus they're a bit of a network security risk, best to put on a guest network. All that for a TV. o_O

jvin248 and Ron C like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.