Why in the world would a whole thread warning about predators on this site be deleted?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by bottlenecker, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

It was about at least one person still active on the site. Children use this site.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

i don't get it here.... children use this site as many others sites, is this a witchunt ? what's wrong here ?, you are implying and at the same time accusing that the mods protect these people, i think you just reached the boundaries of reason here..... you're trying to make some kind of point like this has something personal to you ? see I'm implying as you do ... it's an easy pitfall ...

So, i don't get what's your problem here, we considered the thread not be in line with the contents of this forum, and that's it.

Do you get the message now ?

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I really hate threads like this but I have two points to raise. First, it is the responsibility of the parents to monitor the activities, on line or otherwise, of their children and a 15 yo is still a child. The second point may be a little more difficult and I don't know if or how it could be implemented. Is there a way to block access to or by minors in Conversations? Opening a conversation is the most likely way for an unwanted contact to be initiated.

Also, something I'm confused about; I see Social Forums in my profile but I don't see any listed under Forums. What are they?

Paul-T likes this.
  4. bottlenecker

If you're confused about why I would want the information in that post, please allow me to explain.
    If one of these persons were in my area, we might interact, maybe choose to meet, share gear, or whatever. If one of these people were in my house, they would then have some level of access to my young child. I would not knowingly interact with a pedophile, because I have a child. So I want to know who to avoid, and I hope every parent would.
    It's not to punish anyone, or get in their business, it's so I know who to avoid. That information was made available to me, but then purposefully obscured. That is disturbing to me.
    I hope that's clear.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Fair enough.

However, ask yourself this- is the TDPRI management team aware of any current members of this site who are convicted sexual predators? Because if the answer is "yes," and one of those convicted predators contacts minors through TDPRI, you are in for a world of trouble. I believe the Ts&Cs of this site allow the owners a fairly free hand to deny or revoke membership, do they not? Far be it from me to tell you fine folks how to run your forum, but I would think that a place that filters profanity might well be able to make a case for keeping convicted pedophiles off the site too.

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

many years ago in the fine time out spot i was sent to go to, with mandatory 1 year in house state rehab called TC program, cause i got caught with a santa size sack of sumthin sumthin///mandatory state program facility with in house rehab and next to us was the SO block..own fence own yard...all of em are freaky messed up..they wernt allowed newspaper ads..anything with kids in it..in the yard they traded cigs for newspaper ads...about once a week we all got grounded from yard cause one got thumped..when they were out in pop on their own..open season..guards looked the other way..even in time out land they are called out..also..it is well known that deviant behavior very rarely rehabilitates..they let them go knowing they are going to repeat..most have to max sentence out.. but you can see them..spot them..smell em ..cause they are shifty eyed shady ,,,non men..predators.,,if megans law publishes them..why hide..why not let people warn ??

bottlenecker likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What if someone gets it wrong? I've seen people 'identified' for things in the internet, and often those identifications are wrong? Hell, after the Boston Marathon bombing a guy was outed as the bomber, turns out it wasn't him. That guy ended up getting a lot of money from the party that mistakenly identified him.

It can, and does, happen.

- D

RomanS likes this.
  8. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Deleted

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    StrangerNY likes this.
  9. bftfender

true..but in obvious megan law offenders, why not, they had a caught dead to right guy today and identified him..it became a principal issue i guess,,,back to guitars..Megans law ..you are either on it or not

10. StrangerNY

I dunno, man. I'm just here to talk about guitars.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't see how it's a gear forum's business to notify people about sex offenders. YMMV.

- D

Gibson, gtrplr, Mad Kiwi and 4 others like this.
  11. bftfender

me too..just commented on it..and had real world experience with my kids and posted as a warning and its gone..not my thread but sure will not hide from the issue

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm not mistaken, the thread (which I did see and actually replied to) began on the Bad Dog, which I believe is a general topic area....not limited to gear. I personally don't understand the suppression of free expression. If a particular post violates standards, can't just THAT post be deleted?

bottlenecker and bftfender like this.
  13. bottlenecker

No one asked them to. No one asked them to stop someone else from notifying us either.

StrangerNY likes this.
  14. bottlenecker

No you didn't see the thread, and have no idea what you're talking about. But now you're trying to argue nothing with no one, because no one asked anyone to screen anything.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. StrangerNY

I missed the thread completely, so in one respect I'm kinda talking out of my butt here.

I'm all for free expression as well. But I can also see how the folks who run the forum would want to avoid the liability of leaving up threads like the one being talked about here.

- D

16. bottlenecker

Yes.

17. StrangerNY

I'm going to duck out of this thread after this comment, because it's not really my fight.

But it could be credibly argued that by allowing a thread to stay up on the forum with that information, they are in essence notifying people.

- D

18. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was looking at your original term, as the OP, "warning about predators" and took that to require some sort of screening by a staff member. After all, you are suggesting that predators not be allowed to use this site. Staff would have to screen threads and then decide to eliminate alleged predators. Yeah, I do have an "idea what I'm talking about."
    Enjoy your evening.

StrangerNY likes this.
  19. bottlenecker

No, I didn't actually suggest that. You didn't read this thread either.

20. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit TDPRI Member

Maybe it's plastic surgery in thier culture.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.