Why I still pay my TV license fee:BBC to mark the Rolling Stones’ 60th anniversary with new documentaries.

tweeet

Tele-Afflicted
I've got to ask the question why now ? What is new that hasn't been shown before and why hasn't Netflix done it ? I for one will gladly welcome the day now that the BBC license fee will be abolished. It's done some great things in the past...Monty Python...I Claudius...Blackadder to name but three...but the last few years has seen nothing but mediocrity and wokeness, Just my opinion. BTW I love The Stones.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I wish I hadn't mentioned the BBC license fee because my main point was the forthcoming Stones docs.

I'm reluctant to say much more on the license subject because it's a political grey area.
Irony is I haven't owned a TV set in 10 years but I use the BBC streaming services and albeit a license isn't required for Radio, their radio broadcasts are great, especially regional radio. Outliers like trad music, country and jazz would have very little grassroots support in Scotland without our regional radio and tv. The commercial station just go for the lowest common denominator playlists.

I also haven't watched or heard an advert/commercial in years because everything I watch is streamed.
Their documentaries on Science and Nature are informative, agenda free, non-sensationalist and well made. The only equivalent I've seen elsewhere is on PBS in the US.
When the BBC do drama well, they do it very well. The same goes for music "The Old Grey Whistle Test" and "Later with Joolz Holland" haven't been equalled yet. MTV Unplugged was close.

I'm aware there's a lot of guff on the BBC but that's why I got rid of the idiot lantern at home. It was switched off most of the time once the kids had grown up and I hated the sight of an ugly black screen taking up space, so it got sold and money paid for a new hearth.

As for the grey area, as I see it, both sides of the 2 dimensional grey area divide see bias against themselves as far as the BBC is concerned.
I can only conclude from it that they must be doing something right.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I wish I hadn't mentioned the BBC license fee because my main point was the forthcoming Stones docs.

I'm reluctant to say much more on the license subject because it's a political grey area.
Irony is I haven't owned a TV set in 10 years but I use the BBC streaming services and albeit a license isn't required for Radio, their radio broadcasts are great, especially regional radio. Outliers like trad music, country and jazz would have very little grassroots support in Scotland without our regional radio and tv. The commercial station just go for the lowest common denominator playlists.

I also haven't watched or heard an advert/commercial in years because everything I watch is streamed.
Their documentaries on Science and Nature are informative, agenda free, non-sensationalist and well made. The only equivalent I've seen elsewhere is on PBS in the US.
When the BBC do drama well, they do it very well. The same goes for music "The Old Grey Whistle Test" and "Later with Joolz Holland" haven't been equalled yet. MTV Unplugged was close.

I'm aware there's a lot of guff on the BBC but that's why I got rid of the idiot lantern at home. It was switched off most of the time once the kids had grown up and I hated the sight of an ugly black screen taking up space, so it got sold and money paid for a new hearth.

As for the grey area, as I see it, both sides of the 2 dimensional grey area divide see bias against themselves as far as the BBC is concerned.
I can only conclude from it that they must be doing something right.

"Later with Joolz Holland" was on some tv station here in the states. Buddies had EVERY channel imaginable and that was what we'd watch a lot. Very cool show and you're right...not matched for that sort of format. I was amazed how he could get such performers to play in that format... If you've not seen it search it out! Lots on YT!

USA media is overwhelmed with advertising. You'll have to suffer numerous commercials on youtube and just TDPRI without no ad subscription is a real drag. I rarely watch tv as a result. I guess us yanks have an impression having gov't involved in media not a great thing BUT the way most corporations are like evil fiefdoms kinda counters that....

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
There are a million good reasons to pay the licence fee. And even though i don't like the Stones I'm betting this will be great TV.

I don't have to like them to acknowledge them. And music is sometimes like sport: talking about it is better than the game itself.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
wow, imagine having to pay the government to watch TV. jesus.
Yeah imagine

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
It's arguably anachronistic, I suppose. But it pays for the BBC's TV output - some excellent stuff, seen worldwide; some superb news coverage; national and local radio across the UK; the BBC World Service, still highly regarded worldwide; as well as educational stuff and digital formats.

Anyone watching TV for free elsewhere is probably seeing adverts, to fund it, or is paying for it through general taxation.

An advantage of the BBC being funded from the licence fee rather than through general taxation is that the government is less able to control its output, having a less direct control of the purse strings. Or, that's a major disadvantage depending on your position, politically.

I'm left of centre, so the BBC, the NHS etc are part of our national legacy that people fought and died for, and should be conserved. We are custodians, not owners, and our children and grandchildren should inherit them.

Others will obviously hold different views.

All that said - sorry OP, you were talking about the Rolling Stones?! Agree on Keef...

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
Yeah imagine

The fcc does not collect fees from tv owners/users lol