Why I just bought the Blues Deluxe Instead.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mickg, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the advice and converstaion guysleading up to my new amp purchase. Finall I chose the Fender Blues Deluxe. Whether or not they call it a reissue I'm not sure. Its a Tweed, 40 watt with the Fender Eminence speaker. You all know the one.
    Its competition was:
    DDRI.. I loved this amp so much. the clean was a cut above. BUT. at 22 watts it ment micing up and having just retired from pro playing and lugging my PA and stuff every gig I really didn't want to do that for all the Jam and charity type gigs I'm doing now. Wish it had been at least 30 watts but it starts to break up at 4. A beautiful break up too, but not suited to a lot of the country stuff I play.

Hot Rod Deluxe.. The chrunch was too crunchy for my style. Nice amp, especially with the Jensen 12 in there. But I can always upgrade the speaker if i feel i need to at some time.

The new Bugera 55V. What a piece of crap the one I tried was. No volume and broke up on 2 0r 3. The guy at the shop had never tried it as it just came in and he says its goin back.

Blues JR.. have owned one before, Great amp but not powerful enough again without micing.

I played the stock Blues Deluxe and its clean channel, whilst not as nice as the DDRI at all, was still great. It gets warmer but does not break up at any volume I will be at, but still achieves great volume whilst still clean. Nice verb, just like the other fenders. As simple to dial up as the others. $400 less than the DDRI and 250 less than the Limited Ed Hot Rod Deluxe with the Jensen. I found the OD chanell on the Blues deluxe to bemuch softer in its chunch than the Hot Rod. It stats just warm and Ods very slowly as I turn the drive up, whereas the Hotros begins chrunchier and rapidly gets fairly distorted. Great if that is your style but i am country and blues and , surprise surprise, the blues deluxe OD suits blues better than the Hot Rod.

Well thats my initial comparisons and reasons. the guy said try for a few days and I can always exchange if I'm not happy with it gigging or jamming when with other players, rather than just trying it in store.
    It was initially a tough choice but in the end, an obvious one for me..
    Cheers and thanks for listening.. Mick G.. BTW I put mainly Teles thru it and an occasional strat.

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Its a good Amp

Mandolin Brothers uses it has their shop standard for all the guitar repair evaluations and when taking in a new piece

3. grasspicker

grasspicker Tele-Meister

Mickg, did you try the new Deluxe Reverb VM?
    A redo of the DR, but with additional effects and rated at 40 watts. I briefly tried one and liked it...and I've heard good reports on it.
    I'm still using at stock DRRI and I'm enjoying it...
    Good luck on the new amp!

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Great decision. Very nice amp!

5. TheBlueNote

TheBlueNote TDPRI Member

That is one nice amp! Played it many times at Guitar Center...the tone from that is unreal

6. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

I didnt get a chance to try a deluxe vm but was led to believe that they were similar to a Hotrod deluxe in sound rather than A drri, but also with the MV stuff in there. was I mislead

7. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Mickg,

I see by your signature you have a Traynor YVC40.

What's the difference between the Fender Blues Deluxe and the Traynor YVC40? Tone? headroom?

The 2 amps have similar power output, the Traynor specs 5881 and the BD 6L6GC, and are single 12" speaker cabs.

I'm not very familiar with any Fender amp models mid 1990s and later, except for the Pro Jr and auditions of RI tweed Bassmans. I'm stuck in the distant past...

8. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

The traynor is a very nice amp but can't do the shimmers of the fender. Very warm and a nice OD even though I don't really use it.

9. drdos

drdos Tele-Meister

Totally agree with you on that.. Great purchase!

10. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Hey Mic
    What mickg said.
    I'm always surprised how dark traynor's sound
    Smooth not Fender-ish.
    Play them up in Canada
    They are the usual Canadian Festival back-line.
    I like em' though.
    Mickg
    If you wanted the 30 something watts why not a Vibroluxe Reissue ?
    Guess they don't come up used in your pricepoint ?
    I would miss the Tremlo.

11. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Haven't tried one, but based on the tube complement (2x6L6) I'd say they probably were right on the sound. It's actually a bit cheaper than the DRRI - looks like a cross between a Super Champ XD and HRD. You give up spring reverb, too.

12. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

The Blues Deluxe is a great amp; congratulations!

I like how it works in a band -- bright enough that you can hear your guitar, and the overdrive isn't all MUSHY.

13. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

Sounds great in my shed. Will be gigging tonight so I'll ley you all know how it sounds in a band situation. I have high hopes though. Cheers Mick

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.