Why don't I like modeling amps?! What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cedarburger, Aug 15, 2020.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

Line 6 Flextone III XL amplifier

ChickenKiller and gregulator450 like this.
  2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Ew, sound-wise not my cuppa... tho like Sly said, Diff strokes...

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

that is the amazing arlo west.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

That's pretty interesting. Two of my favorite amps, both tube have one volume and one tone. The first, a'58 tweed Fender Harvard( awesome range of clean and overdriven sounds ), the second, a Tone King Gremlin, also a very versatile and toneful amp, with clean and overdriven Tweed channels. Everyone has such different perspectives on gear. There is always something for everyone.

Tim S, Fretting out and Cedarburger like this.
  5. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

What you like is a personal decision and it’s not for anyone else to judge. I’ve traditionally been in the same boat but recently tried a Boss Katana battery powered practice amp and thought it was a pretty good little practice amp and then tried out the GT series digital pedal boardS. While it sounds amazing it’s a bit harder to tweak quickly than “real” pedals. But otherwise I love it. The Bigger Katana combo amps and heads are so awesome sounding for solid state amps and the modeling functions sound great. They’re worth checking out. I mean you may still hate them and I still prefer my tube amps but the ss and modeling stuff is getting LOTS better all the time. It may not be long before I’m willing to switch.

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I like some modelling amps, but most are garbage and none are a legit replacement for the real thing. If you use a modelling amp to try to mimic the real thing it will always fail. If you throw out all the preset sounds & use them to make your sound, you have a chance.

7. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

Maybe I just haven't found the right one. That is why I am looking for advice. Maybe there are some out there to try. What I do know is I love my unmodded Blackheart Little Giant combo.

8. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

Oh, I didn't nention that I had an Egnater Rebel that I loved but sold because it was too loud. I wish I'd have kept that one.

Anyway, tube or not, doesn't matter to me. It is modeling combo amps that have been frustrating me. That Balckstar just pushed me to the point I had tonask the question.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

ChickenKiller and LeonHr like this.
  9. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

I don’t see the Yamaha THR100HD head mentioned much but I’ve got one and love it. To me it sounds better than the Katana head I owned briefly. No effects (Other than reverb) or presets, just two channels. Choose your voice and set gain EQ and volume for each channel and away you go. Sometimes I still like to crank my tube amp but mist of the time the Yamaha does everything I need.

Anacharsis likes this.
  10. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

When all the tube amps are gone what will modeling amps model? I guess we’ll just share old profiles and digital samples.

Modeling amps/profilers are not modeling other modeling amps, they’re trying to replicate great tube amps. That should tell you something. Even modelers/profilers know what sounds best.

11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

There's nothing wrong with you or your choices, or somebody else's choices. The three amps you listed are probably not as good as the newer modeling amps, but what do I know. PS I use both kinds pretty regularly.

12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

They've been out for quite a while. I haven't seen them in the studio but I've toured with a band (contemporary jazz) and the sax player/band leader has used electronic saxes for a long time.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Vox digital modeler that I'm trying to sell right now. The problem is none of the amp models actually sound quite like the original; it's like they're 90% there but just missing that character that makes the original great. I'd rather have a couple of 100% amps than a bunch of almost-there tones.

BrianK likes this.
  14. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

When modeling amps first came out, my reaction was, “Yuk!”

But I’ve kept trying them now and then, and the more recent offerings are starting to make me warm up to the idea. They’ve improved, if my ears can be trusted.

I still prefer my tube amps for the time being, but I won’t rule out the possibility that I might acquire a modeling amp in the future. It’s starting to be a tempting idea.

15. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

But which ones?

Steerforth likes this.
  16. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

Thanks, Collin. I do have an old Blackheart Little Giant combo tube amp.

17. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

The Roland offerings, the Nextones, and possibly the Katana Artist are the ones that interest me most. But the Rolands are the only ones out of that group that I’ve actually heard in real life.

I’d like to check out the Fender Tonemaster series as well.

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 30, but it’s not really a modeling amp. It’s a good solid state amp, and sort of heads toward the modeling idea, but it’s not anything like the ones that I mentioned.

EspyHop likes this.
  18. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

The Blues Cubes are pretty great!

Anacharsis likes this.
  19. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

The “real” issue with modeling in my opinion is that if you’re trying to chase some specific tone you’re never going to find it. I mean I bought a Vox AC30 and it didn’t really sound like the AC30 tone I’d heard so I’m just saying.
    Just focus on what sounds good and bad to you and don’t worry as much about modeling a specific tone because you’ll drive yourself mad.
    The point about modeling amps modeling tube amps is a good one except even different tube amps of the same model sound different and if you move it from my house to your house it won’t necessarily sound the same.

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

My theory is that no matter how short the latency from digital sound processing is – it will make you feel detached from your playing. Lately I tried the amp sims within logic again and although I think they sound good enough and though I get less than 5 ms of latency (which is like standing a few meters away from your speaker) – the feel is just not right.
    The same reason keeps me away from digital wireless sytems. They all have like 5 ms latency. If you add another 5ms for wireless in-ears it feels like you're playing in another room – not good for playing tight rhythms IMHO. YMMV.

That said these days I mostly play through an analog modeler (tech 21 fly rig) and DI. So I'm not anti-modeling. I think the best digital modelers sound pretty convincing – but they yet have to solve the latency issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.