Why don't guitar mags review more guitars?

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I don't mess with magazines for the basic reason of dollars. $10 and up far a rag full of advertisements, and articles and that mirror what I read 40 years. Only the names have changed.

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
I have the hardest time reading Y*utube.

A huge gripe of mine is people would rather ramble unscripted in front of a camera than write down something I can read in 2 minutes or go over and over until I get step 12 right.

YouTube absolutely sucks for most 3D Printing howtos for instance . Yet for guitar reviews... I think it's a vastly better platform

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
When I want gear reviews I search TDPRI. Seriously. I'm guessing (hoping) most of you are not being paid for your opinions?

All the "professional" reviews seem like advertisements. "It's great! I love it!" The main usefulness is if they tell you the features and specs. But you can get that from a Sweetwater ad.

I will say there are a couple YouTube guys that do a fairly good job. If not criticism, at least they try to describe why you might or might not like it.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
In all seriousness, I'm surprised to hear there's any such thing as a old fashioned paper magazine about guitars. Surely their numbers of subscribers must be <1% of what they were 25 years ago...

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
A huge gripe of mine is people would rather ramble unscripted in front of a camera than write down something I can read in 2 minutes or go over and over until I get step 12 right.

YouTube absolutely sucks for most 3D Printing howtos for instance . Yet for guitar reviews... I think it's a vastly better platform
Before I retired, there were various kinds of elaborate forms and reports and submissions I had to fill out from time to time and they were usually impossible to figure out without reading the instructions. Right about the time I got out, the various agencies had started replacing the usual two-page step by step written instructions with videos of something going blah-blah-blah for 10 minutes telling you how to fill out the forms. Glad that stuff is behind me now, mostly.

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Vg is cool since you get reviews of old and new guitars and amps. Some of the original guitar players too.
Last month

Attachments

• DC2049B9-20CD-42C3-83E2-9EB747C35D70.jpeg
    DC2049B9-20CD-42C3-83E2-9EB747C35D70.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 3

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
At one time pre-internet I subscribed to maybe a half dozen magazines. Motorcycle mags, astronomy, guitar, even Playboy (for the articles 😂). Eventually I noticed that I would get my monthly magazine and it would take maybe half an hour to peruse per issue. Take for example a motorcycle magazine: unless you have a GS1150E or are planning to buy one, a review of one isn’t going to sound much different than a K1100. There’s only so much you can say about seating position or handlebars…. Even if I was going to buy one of the bikes that were reviewed, until I actually rode one the review wouldn’t mean much. At least Guitar for the Practicing Musician had song tabs, that was probably the most useful magazine of all of them.

Tele-Meister
Pre Internet there used to be many decent guitar magazines. These days they look like printed advertisement collections.

I used to subscribe to Guitar player and Guitar world many years back, and at some point I saw the latest ones and it was a shock..