Why don't guitar mags review more guitars?

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
I get a couple of guitar mags now.I stopped some because there isn't anything I want to read.But Premier Guitar,Guitar Player are paid for,so I read them.They review 1 maybe 2 guitars per issue.Why?There are so many guitars being made,and I'd like to read about them instead of bands.If I wanted to read about bands,I'd get something like Rolling Stone.They review a bunch of pedals in guitar mags,but not guitars.Why?

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
I cannot say I agree. I just looked at a recent GP and they had 4 instrument reviews and a few historical looks. Overall not bad for a magazine. If I want a subjective review I can usually find more than one review on Youtube and that makes more sense to me. I have dropped all magazine subscriptions because I think there are better ways to deliver content.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
aside from it being a bit of a waste of money for companies (just not reaching as many people as youtube reviews), video is just better suited to reviews and demos than writing. you can see/hear it for yourself. writing can't really do that, and internet forums are a great demonstration of how corrupted/meaningless subjective descriptors of guitar stuff has gotten.

OTOH, paper suits interviews and tabs just fine. guitar mags talk to players on a technical or semi-technical level, which is something you don't get from music mags aimed at laypeople.

Last edited:

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I actually find myself less interested in guitars and more in amps these days. I have most of the guitars I want, and those I don't have yet are 'vintage reproduction' type stuff...Explorers and such. But for some reason I am a sucker for a good amp review. Realistically, with Fender, Marshall M/B, Peavey, Orange, Vox doing the bulk of the heavy lifting and a handful of smaller brands like Blackstar chipping in and a few real boutique units showing up occasionally (and most of those are some sort of vintage repro, as well) one a month is probably all we're gonna get.

I'm curious about pedals, but since I don't actually play any, it's mostly academic.

But I'm not sure I want to read about another $4K Les Paul or Strat clone for the third time this year.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I gave up on guitar magazines because I felt they had become too gear review focused, and usually the reviews were way too favorable to the manufacturers who buy the most ad space. The reviews were almost totally worthless.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My new downsized bathroom doesn't have room for a magazine rack. I let all my subscriptions expire and use an old android phone on wi-fi only as a substitute.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
When I was a kid, guitar mags were the only source for gear review and tabs, with some technique and band interviews I enjoyed. Then ads started sucking up the space, and the issues got thinner. The reviews were always bad, now that I think about it. Crowd sourcing is slightly better these days: searching forums for the model I want, reading why users buy it, and exactly why they think it sucks and/or is great. Those clues are more revealing than some sponsored review.