1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why don't guitar amps use 3-way speaker arrangements?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MrCoolGuy, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Overdrive/distortion sounds horrible thru a tweeter. I use a floor monitor with the Tweeter disconnected and an Eminence guitar speaker installed and it works good for me.

I guess if you want the lows get a baritone guitar.

2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You don't want or need that for electric guitar... Go plug into an amp designed for acoustic guitars, that is essentially what you are asking for, and see for yourself. It is not a pleasant experience

3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Guitar speakers are far full range.

Blue Bill and Drew617 like this.
  4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've tried a guitar through a stereo system both with the stereo amp+speakers, guitar amp through stereo speakers, stereo amp through guitar speakers etc. They all sounded very bad.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I found myself with a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. amp for awhile (Late 1990s version with spring reverb, no digital FX, two 8” drivers and a piezo tweeter).

I discovered I wasn’t as interested in amplifying an acoustic guitar as I thought I’d be so I spent some time seeing if I could use it with electric guitar.

What I found was that the tweeter reached way higher than I wanted to hear, and the drivers reached lower than I wanted to hear. Pretty consistent with just about everybody’s answers. If I unplugged the tweeter the amp could be adjusted to sound pretty nice, not too far off from something like a SS Princeton Chorus. But even then a look at my knob positions reinforced what I said above: the lows were rolled back quite a bit and the mids were pushed.

One thing I did find useful with the tweeter was playing fingerstyle electric softly. It was like reading my fingerprints with my ears. A person could probably develop an interesting playing approach around that.

Tim S and PhredE like this.
  6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

My first real amp was a Laney EA65. The "EA" stood for "Electric Acoustic." It had an Acoustic Channel and an Electric Channel with distortion. It also had a switchable tweeter. This was always switched off when playing the distortion channel. It didn't sound too bad with it on, so the channel must have been filtered before hitting the power amp.

This amp also had a line-in feature which would turn it into a slave amp. After I got my first Marshall Tube amp, I used this as a PA running a mixer into the Line-in. It worked pretty good!

PhredE likes this.
  7. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm not an expert on the subject, because I have never used one, but if I understand correctly there are guitar amp/speaker cabinets that are designed for modelling amps that utilize crossovers, mid drivers, tweeters, etc. I may be under informed.
    Most of the time, 12 inch speakers and a tube amp get me what I need but, occasionally I will mix a 10" and a 15", just for giggles.
    Mixing and matching guitar transducers is nothing new. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

PhredE likes this.
  8. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Yup.
    The Headrush FRFR is a good example (just one of many possible links):
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...108-2000-watt-1x8-inch-powered-guitar-cabinet

Powerful, flexible and cheap!

9. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Guitar amplifiers are an extension of the electric guitar. They're not supposed to be high fidelity. They're supposed to work hand in hand with the electric guitar to produce quality tones.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Some guitar amps have 2 or 3 speakers. mainly acoustic amps. I have used a PA speaker before. It's kinda hifi jazzy tone, not bad for that maybe. Basically though, for electric guitar I like the non separated freq's. The speaker is part of the whole tone thing. Not intended to be "accurate", intended to sound a certain way.

Also, back when PA systems were towers/columns and only had vocals in them, they were killer sounding. Like the Shure Vocalmaster thing. 4 x 12 vertical on each side etc. Granted that type of system wont be great for huge shows, but for club work, I've never heard anything better. There was a time period where CSN&Y, the Association, Mamas and Papas songs were in the mix, those systems were amazing for all that harmony.
    I hate most PA systems with horns and woofers. The horns must be high quality and not piezo to sound good at all.

11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith TDPRI Member

It's about where guitars sit in a mix. Right in the mids. Adding a sub would make it sound boomy, and running a tweeter makes it sound more shrill, when regular guitar speakers put out an adequate amount of high end.

I have run a guitar amp head to a PA speaker with tweeter, it was absolutely awful.

If you add a subwoofer or a tweeter, you'd have to do enough EQ changes to where you make them nearly useless.. to make it sound right in a mix. You can get boomy or shrill sounds from a regular guitar speaker without the extra hardware.

W.L.Weller and MilwMark like this.
  12. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

you want your guitar amp to sound like a guitar amp, not a hi fi or stereo amp. distorted vs clean.

play music!

MilwMark likes this.
  13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Hifi speakers divide the incoming power among the high, mid, and low frequency speakers, none of which are able to handle the full rated power of the speaker system. So you hit that 30 watt hifi speaker with 30 watts on one note, you'll blow it out. Be careful.

The Gibson Titan back in th 60s was a high power amp they sold against the Fender Showman. There was a version with a 15 plus 2-10s that had a crossover. Good sounding amp.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  14. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

I am a bass player and I agree about the squeaks and finger noise from a tweeter - yuck.

5595bassman and VillainSean like this.
  15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Also, some amp and/or FX noise is more prominent with a tweeter.

PhredE likes this.
  16. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Plug straight into a PA channel then. Or plug yr effects chain in. Just because most people don't do it doesn't mean it can't work for you.

Look up the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound and the setup John Cipollina used with Quicksilver Messenger Service. And Steve Albini's been a full-range speaker user on stage for decades.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  17. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Beyond the problem that your distortion will now sound fizzy and your low end will now sound (ironically enough) less punchy and distinct, you will now be taking up sonic space that is getting used by the other members of your band.

You will muddy up what is happening in the rhythm section and get in the way of your drummer’s cymbals and vocals.

bigger is not always better.

W.L.Weller and MilwMark like this.
  18. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My Line 6 Amplifi has an interesting interior:

[​IMG]

PhredE and MrCoolGuy like this.
  19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tom Scholz did exactly this with the Rockman amplifiers back in the late eighties. The cabs looked like regular 4x12s, but were actually three way speakers.

Also, modelers work quite well through full frequency monitors.

PhredE, MrCoolGuy and codamedia like this.
  20. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I think the bottom line is that a guitar speaker (amp) is kind of like having a notch filter: It only delivers frequencies from ~80 to 5000 hz, discarding the rest. You don't want the rest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.