1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why does this piss me off so much?!?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chiefline, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

The first thing that happens when I go to a restaurant is immediate loss of appetite. Followed closely by the feel of walls closing in on me. Immediately following that is me heading back out the door. If I do stay I'm not ordering, total waste of money. Carry out I can do. Or chat while others eat for a few minutes but that's my limit.

privatesalt and slacquin like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe they know they like lots of things. As do many other people. So rather than everyone order 3 individual appetizers, they get different ones for the table and share.

But again, if some folks don't want to share, that's fine. But don't passively-aggressively sit and stew about it. Or strategize how you can secretly hoard the one you really want. Just tell the table you want the whole app you order and don't plan to share it.

chiefline and awasson like this.
  3. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

This is getting weird-er. That must have been a shining moment for the wife, when she announced to her friends.... the hubby shared some of his buffalo wings with me last night. :rolleyes:

awasson and gpasq like this.
  4. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I don't know how this barbarian ritual of sharing food with someone that's not your significant other got started but it's kind of nasty. Personally I don't like other people even close to my food. I wont eat it. My S.O. can eat all the food on my plate if she wants. I live in America. Yeah sometimes things are tough but it's not like were running out of food. The natural order of things is I eat everything on my plate, get seconds, eat everything on her plate, Sometimes there is desert involved.

If your on a date and a girl is eating food off your plate it's probably a pretty good sign. Don't eat off theirs unless you been intimate is a good rule of thumb. I don't know how but all girls know each other and somewhere down the road one of them will punish you for something as simple as that.

chiefline, gpasq and elmoscafeo like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Best to try not to think about how many people have touched your food on the way to you, I guess. Or that those same waiters who clear dirty plates are bringing your clean plate to you. And no, they don't wash between.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I will admit this about entrees. For some strange reason I think that sharing an entree is nearly intimate. For instance, cutting off a small piece of my entree and placing it on my bread plate and sliding it over to someone else is something that I'll gladly do for my wife on a night out. To me, that's something that you do on or with a date.

My sister is a steak and potatoes person (I am not) and she often asks 4 or 5 weird questions about my entree and then she'll slide her bread plate over and ask for some of my entree. This bugs me because the next thing that I hear is something very disparaging about the food that I selected.

If you don't know where jumbo scallops come from and if you've never tried them and if you think that you'll hate them anyway and if you can see that there are only 5 of them sitting on my angle hair pasta then don't ask for one!!!! You're not my date. Who does that??

I'm usually all about peace, love and understanding but I do have my moments. Damnit.

chiefline and telemnemonics like this.
  7. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I don't eat at restaurants at all to me it's a filthy practiced but for some people in society it may be a necessity. The cleanest restaurant I even seen was my high school cafeteria. I know you guys eat out and if you want to I don't see anything wrong with that. I just think you should have standards that at least match the thought and cleanliness that went into public school food services.

8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I don't think that age has much to do with it. It's more a matter of being willing to share with others. Sharing food is probably the genesis of the whole "sitting at a communal table" when eating thing instead of each person sitting alone.

chiefline and awasson like this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

What a great idea.
    Everyone should be a little calmer.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Presumably you're eating with people you know. You can't talk to each other about who eats off of which plate? Seems logical, anyway.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. flathd

Wasn't the O.P. originally referring to appetizers?

Or, maybe the proper name would be hoard 'oeuvres. :rolleyes:

privatesalt, Bones, studio and 5 others like this.
  12. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

I thought an entrée was a starter, appetizer. Oh well..

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

It's different in different countries. I think an entree is a starter in Australia, as well.

14. kelnet

Wow. So if someone disagrees with you about sharing food, they should eat alone.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    privatesalt and Tremade like this.
  15. flathd

I hope you're better at reading menus than you are at reading posts. The O.P.'s topic is about sharing appetizers, not eating food off of each others plate.

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. kelnet

That kind of claustrophobia must be terrible. How do you do in stores or movie theaters? Does it keep you out of music stores?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Given that there seems to be a good deal of variation in customs, even in the same country, I'd be so bold as to suggest that nobody has the correct answer.
    The idea that diners might discuss the sharing option before ordering is a pretty good suggestion, but maybe it's also a bit of a cultural faux pas to attempt to align dining customs among friends, since we see here that it may lead to some heated emotions.

One thing I would propose here though is that the OP and numerous other posters were informed of their grievous error by their SO upon arrival home from dinner. So maybe the marital dispute aspect is as much at play as the dining customs aspect.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
    chiefline likes this.
  18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Just restaurant dining. I'd rather claw my own eyes out than dine out. I don't like forced eating. So dinner parties are out to. I can go, just don't expect me to eat. ITS ok if I'm doing something g else like gooing to a ball game or something but if just going to eat is the sole purpose I'm out

19. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    OK, What have we learned here today?

In the US sharing appetizers with a group at the table is a fairly normal and accepted policy. You can feel differently, but you'll be out of the cultural norm.

In other parts of the world this practice may be different and even the terminology is different.

Being a jerk to another member and picking a fight by calling him names is NEVER a good idea.

Posting your rant about something that others seem perfectly fine with can be a humbling experience.

I'm going to close this thread now - even though I removed the fighting. I think the OP has gotten the answer to the question he asked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.