1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why does this piss me off so much?!?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chiefline, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Don't get caught between my GF and a grilled Lamb chop.

HoodieMcFoodie, studio and tery like this.
  2. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I usually feel like an over-stuffed pig with what they serve at most restaurants, and that's just the dinner. If anyone wants to hoard the appetizers, have at it.

studio likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with your wife. Eating with people is a social experience of shared enjoyment, at least for me. You are wrong. Or rather, you are not seeing the experience for what it offers. Your attitude is frankly bizarre to me and you anger is somewhat disturbing. You asked! I mean no disrespect

Although good manners, to me, dictates that I wait until someone offers me a taste of what they are enjoying, unless it's at a restaurant where passing the dishes is the normal things. I usually say something like "this is really good, would you like to taste it?" Apparently this would make you seethe with anger?

I dunno, we are all different, but you could maybe consider dining with friends to be a social experience.

Edit: I did have a friend like this, a guy from a very upper class WASPY background who was a very likeable guy but if anyone got near his plate he was, his wife said, and she was right, like a dog protecting a bone. It was odd

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I don't mind sharing appetizers but I'm not gonna share my main course except for with my wife.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that the point of appetizers is sharing and ice breaking with a group. It's supposed to be casual and fun and shared.

Your entree is your entree.

I love sharing and discussing appetizers but when the entrees arrive I like to eat my food.

That's my opinion. I think it would be antisocial or odd to choose an appetizer and eat the whole thing when dining with a group. I've never seen anyone do that unless if it's a petite woman who orders a salad and then an appetizer to be served as her entree.

Just my observations & opinion.

privatesalt and studio like this.
  6. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Completely up for sharing plates. But have found now that restaurants bring out ridiculously small portions. Order octopus for a table of 6? No problem, you can have two tiny tentacles, let's see how you deal with that socially awkward situation

7. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

I totally get where you're coming from. I'm not opposed to doing the whole share dishes thing, especially at an Indian or Tapas place, but there's usually a conversation that takes place beforehand to make sure everyone is cool with it. Otherwise, I'm going to order what I like and happen to feel like on that night. And then I'm going to eat what I want, not some of what I want and other stuff I don't want. Some people see supper as this huge social event where constant talking and sharing is normal...and to each their own; but not me. Kepe your hands off my food our you're going to end up with a fork in one of them (again, unless we agreed to share). I might be exaggerating a bit, but that's pretty much my sentiment.
    I get where you're coming from!

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Once I went back to my University to visit and ended up going to a Thai restaurant with a bunch of grad students, including one who had just arrived from India, and was a vegetarian. Turned out we ordered all vegetarian dishes and while he first stuck to the one he ordered, a bit suspicious, he loosened up and by the end of the meal tried all the dishes, like everyone else was doing -- you share at a Thai restaurant, right?

So at the end I asked him which one he liked the best. He pointed to a dish and I said, "oh, the one with Thai whiskey". He replied, "Whiskey, whiskey?! I've been eating whiskey!" and hung he head like he was already dreading the lower status of his next reincarnation. So, maybe not sharing makes senses some of the time!

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

So the moral of the story is "don't get your fingers near the calamari when he's in a feeding frenzy". LOL
    (I keed, I keed)

10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

It could have been worse!

11. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Kinda just caught me off guard the first time someone took my food and started eating it. Hope the next time friends don't expect me to share the wife also. I mean don't want to be rude.....

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey - who you calling a petit woman?

tery likes this.
  13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I said share the love that's not what I had in mind. [emoji4]

chiefline likes this.
  14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

if everyone orders 2 $15 appetizers, the bill is going to be astromical.

15. demon

demon Tele-Meister

I share everything 50/50 with my SO. Everyone else can FO :)

What really annoys me is when there's 1 person in the group who orders the most expensive thing on the menu, every possible side dish, a 3rd bottle of wine for themselves, and a pack of smokes, and is then the first to suggest 'Hey guys, let's just keep it simple and split the bill equally'. I like being generous to people but I want to be making that decision.

Riiight, feeling calmer now

16. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just talking about this with my GF, it does seem like often times the people who order one of everything "for the table" are just looking for others to subsidize their extravagant meal.And generally those same people are the ones boxing up the leftovers to take home. I much prefer cooking for people at our home even if with our group that means making a few vegan things on top of the good stuff.

chiefline and tery like this.
  17. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Cooking for people at home is a great move. I get to feel that inner glow, and everybody gets something they like. As a lapsed vegetarian I know how irritating it is when everyone else dips into your meal and you can't reciprocate. Emphasising the lapsed part, I now appreciate the unifying and democratizing experience of a barbecue.

All-you-can-eat buffets are an option too, but don't get me started on the mandatory service charge on self-serve place being the same rate as a full waiter service restaurant.

18. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Wish I lived the kind of life where sharing appetizers at dinner with friends was a notable concern.

19. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

For most people, having too much food is the real problem...

I always thought the point of going to a meal with people was to share things - food (where cuisine-appropriate), conversation, wine etc. If that's not you, then don't eat out with people.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So OP, it appears:

1. You are not alone.
    2. But you are maybe a minority.
    3. So if true, most people you eat out with will expect to share.

You've gotten a few strategies to manage. Hope they help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.