1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why does this piss me off so much?!?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chiefline, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Is this the norm? When we go out to dinner with other couples i like to eat what i order not what other people order. Seems normal right? Then why is it that when we all order appetizers people feel free to just start passing them all around the table and share appetizers between the whole group? Who started this? I want to eat my whole order of callamarri not 1/8 of it and i don't want your damn stuffed mushrooms or your tomatto and basil crap! My wife says I am out of my mind that i should learn to share and enjoy other dishes. I say get your damn hands off my appetizer it's not yours. Am I wrong? Do you feel it's ok to order food and then watch someone else eat it?!? I would love to just tell this to the people I'm having dinner with but i would end up in divorce court so i keep my mouth shut and slowly simmer inside.......

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When you were a kid playing in the sandbox, if someone messed with you stuff, did you hit 'em in the head with your shovel? If you did, I might know you! :lol:

3. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

I understand your sentiment, but I think you've got to look at the meal as more than just the consumption of the food you want. It's also about being with people you (hopefully) want to be with and enjoying that aspect of it. If left to my own devices, I'd order like a champ and eat it all myself, but the mood at the table might be a bit different if everyone was playing their own game of 'don't lick the electric fence around my plate'. Part of the meals I've enjoyed the most over the years has been where food, and the experiences, were shared. Also helps that I'm about the least picky person on the planet so generally I'm up for whatever hits the table. Now, all that being said, I do get annoyed when someone is a classic 'underorderer' and puts the whole table in a bind because they like to eat more than they order. They like the vanity points from ordering light, and the benefit of the food from other people ordering what they think will actually leave them satisfied.

salokin, brbadg, xafinity and 2 others like this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you should sit at a separate table. Wearing headphones.

privatesalt, salokin, gpasq and 12 others like this.
  5. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

No not at all! Love to play but myfood is mybfood.lol

stinkey and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Ok on the responses so far i guess i need an attitude adjustment. Will work on it

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Next time you and your friends, go out to dinner, take separate cars, you can all go through the drive though. Then park out back, roll the windows down and enjoy your dinner and conversation.... At a distance. :lol::lol::lol:

8. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

I totally feel ya. I'm the same way, BUT, when playing with others....keep teh wife happy;)

brbadg and 8barlouie like this.
  9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That's what I'd do. Sharing appetizers ain't something I'd want to 'slowly simmer inside' about.

awasson, webhed, brbadg and 4 others like this.
  10. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

I like sharing appetizers. I get enough to eat as is. Sharing is often helpful with the portion control.

salokin, JustABluesGuy and MilwMark like this.
  11. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I share appetizers, but one of my food related gripes is when you offer to order something for a guest, who declines and then eats off your plate. I had a girlfriend who did this all the time, and it did irritate me, especially when she would decide to season my food also.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say that when dining with those who disagree with you, your attitude might be a problem.
    But I assure you that the whole world does not want to eat your calamari!
    I agree and when I order calamari I do not want anyone's stuffed mushrooms.

IME some families and social groups eat what they order, and might only occasionally offer a taste of an unusual dish but not presume to have free access to everyone else's plates.

It would be much more rude to eat off another persons plate without asking, than to not offer to share your own dish IMO.
    But rude is defined by the company, so you gotta go with the flow or find another stream!

Interesting how easily we can decide that a different custom is rude simply because it differs from our own custom.
    Living in NYC for years I took great pleasure in learning the wide range of cultural customs in restaurants.
    There is a sort of strata to dig down through in some areas where the further you go into an ethnic neighborhood, the fewer outside cultures frequent the restaurants.
    I looked for no English speaking patrons before I took lessons in culture.

There was a story about a guy who ate the hunk of wasabi and ran outside and dropped dead of a heart attack. Probably not true but puts the value of custom a bit more into perspective.

Calamari is not an English language word, eh?
    What foods are most commonly shared?
    Steak and potatoes?
    Or more likely foreign cuisines?

13. meric

meric Tele-Holic

ok I will bite... I feel your pain man. When I order the prawn tempura I want prawn tempura not zucchini sticks....my wife thinks I am borderline.....order two plates of calamari or prawn tempura for me....next problem please...

stinkey and skippolony like this.
  14. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Some restaurants discourage the sharing of appetizers. I'm with you though. I don't mind my wife sampling my appetizer but I didn't order them for everyone. If someone wants to partake of may appetizer than maybe they would like to pick up the check also.

stratoman1 and jackinjax like this.
  15. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a rule that is unbroken in 40 years.
    If I'm going out to eat, I'm paying, tip in all.
    The most uncomfortable situation I can think of when dining is for a group of people getting out the calculators and spending 20 minutes looking like a bunch of tight asses.
    So I pay, no exceptions.
    Now to the OP,
    Since I arrange payment in advance the waiter tends to look at me. So when someone says," I'd like the Calamari for an appetizer " I look at the waiter and say, yes bring us two to three orders of the Calamari.
    Who wants something different ? And I due the same with every item chosen
    That way if you wanted an appetizer all to your self, no problem.
    Now as I said, I pay the tip, but I don't tell my guest that. I usually tell them, I got the dinner, you guys get the tip. Usually they are very generous with the tip because the dinner was free.
    So the Waiter/ Waitress gets paid twice.
    I know it may sound crazy, but that the way I like to do things.

16. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Order TWO appetizers....let the others share ONE... and keep the SECOND ONE in front of you !!!
    Say something like: " I have been thinking about "Callamarri" ever since I knew we were all going out for dinner...feel free to enjoy this one" (As you put the Second One into Rotation)

:twisted:;) (FG Drops the Microphone and exits the Thread) :lol::p

Steve 78, Jupiter, a_pidgeon and 9 others like this.
  17. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Things may be different here on the left coast, but I feel like in a group setting if you order an appetizers the implication is that everyone can enjoy them regardless of who ordered them.

Your entree is an entirely different story, but I think it would be a bit rude to order something that is generally intended to be shared and just sit there eating it in front of everyone else without at least offering to let them try it. But then again I usually go out to eat with people I actually like so maybe there is an issue there?

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

You are blessed to have such a first world problem.

19. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

If it really bugs you why don't you discuss your ground rules on the way or before ordering? I doubt your friends can read your mind and don't think there is anything wrong with their actions. Are you capable of face to face communication?

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Imagine how the last supper might have went if......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.