1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why does this just seem wrong to me?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sr4815, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

After not buying anything more than a few cheap pedals for 15 years, last year, I bought 3 amps ( cheap), 2 speakers, an Epi SG, and 8 cheap pedals! And I'm not done!
    I had a ton of gigs last year ( and this year looks the same), and I guess that kind of 'justified' ( in my head) the purchases:

"You have the $$, AND you need these for gigs!"

Like my Johnny Winter Micro Cube! ( for apartment use)
    20210212_191146.jpg

I gotta watch it though!
    ( sold some and now selling more pedals now- this was kind of the plan)

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Internet? Markets? GAS? Easy credit? The explanation is much simpler than any of those. You have discretionary income left over after covering necessities and nothing more urgent to spend it on than guitars and amps. I have more than I need and I have guitars and amps pretty well covered. When travel is safe again, I’m going on vacation. :cool:

3. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I’d call it being a grownup and having a hobby that you can afford. Lots of grownups spend their money on stuff that I consider dumb, like fancy cars, boats, rv’s, etc etc. by comparison, I feel my purchasing approx 1 guitar per year is somewhat reasonable. Do I NEED a new guitar every year? No. But I’m an adult with a job, so I can afford it.

J. Bonkosky likes this.
  4. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Very true. Also, in my case, in those days I never had the notion of having multiple guitars. One at a time and I had to sell the one I had to get the new one.

When I got a PortaStudio, the cassette one, I went to having an acoustic, a mando, and a bass as I was into acoustic music for the time I was involved in a bluegrass band. Then I added a MIM Strat.

Then internet, gear talk sites, and having a bit more cash as kiddo grew up.

So a few amps, a couple basses, and a few guitars.

Evolution?

5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

maybe you lost some freq in hearing and don't like the sound anymore?
    ore your musical flavor is in another direction?
    those things can make you wander off to other tracks :);)

6. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Me, too. Great post. I just need to stop finding stuff to buy for a while. Over this weekend, I went to Guitar Center to play some guitars that have been hanging out on my GAS list. I'm so glad I did. Most of them were crap. I've also had my eye on a Line 6 Helix and have been debating the relative merits of the Helix Floor or the LT. This morning, I woke up and realized that I still suck at playing guitar. Buying another guitar or another super-fancy pedal/amp replacement machine isn't going to make me a better player and your post made me realize that almost all minutes not spent actually playing (including most of the time I spend here on TDPRI) aren't worth the time investment.

I need to practice a lot more, crawl around the internet a lot less and spend more time reading books and gardening. Since I started playing again, I've been acting like a teenager obsessing about gear because that's easier than learning to play. Don't get me wrong, I've improved a thousand percent at playing in the past six or seven months but that's not because of anything I bought except for one decent guitar and one $200 practice amp.

Thanks for the wake-up call!

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

GAS is real. You haven’t even talked about pedals yet.

8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I started in 1984 or so with an Ibanez Strat copy and a Gorilla amp. Amp crapped out and I traded the Ibanez to my bass player for an old Norlin Epi acoustic.

In '89 I bought my Am Std Tele and a Red Knob Pro 185. A few years later I bought an old 1966 Duo-Sonic II (for $325!) as a backup guitar. And that was my collection until 2018. During those thirty years the only money I spent on musical equipment was buying a new set of strings and a new set of Red Tortex picks once per year.

In 2018 I discovered the world of online guitar forums. I now have eight amps, ten electric guitars, and a bass. Twenty pedals, countless cords and hundreds of various picks, several types of recording equipment, microphones etc.

Rock n Roll.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember the first time I had a “ton of gear”. I had an acoustic, an electric, and a bass. I had an electric guitar amp (SS), a bass amp, and a small Peavey PA for my acoustic gigs. I owned two pedals- A Rat and a Crybaby. I hated the Rat, so I traded it to a guy for a TS9. It was an embarrassment of riches. Nobody my age had as much gear as I did, even if they gigged. I justified it by telling myself it was my full time job. Which it was.

Then I got a really good gig that paid me more money than I’d ever believed was possible for one person to make, and it just started to snowball. It only lasted about a year and a half, but the damage was done. May will be 34 years since my first public gig. In that time I’ve bought, sold, and traded (educated guesswork here, no way to have an exact count) over 600 electric guitars, maybe around 100 acoustics, probably that many basses, easily 150 amps, and I have no way of even trying to comprehend how many pedals. Many multi-FX units.

I’ve owned a warehouse sized pile of PA gear. Several drum sets and the accompanying accoutrements. Dozens of mics. Hundreds of cables. A few keyboards. Two pianos. An old tube powered organ. The stands alone (mic, speaker, amp) would fill a full sized pickup bed.

Since the shutdown I’ve bought an entire home recording setup, which it’s becoming obvious I’m never going to learn how to use, and don’t really have a desire to.

It’s totally ridiculous. No excuse for it whatsoever.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

This on every level. As soon as I realised that I could look at guitars, amps and gear in general, online, then my wallet took a nosedive lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.