Why does the hamburger packaged at the grocery store ….

peteb

Friend of Leo's
Why does the hamburger packaged at the grocery store have a use or freeze date of only a few days, while the hamburger packaged at some processing plant has a later use or freeze date?

example. Hamburger I bought yesterday, 1-22, has a use or freeze date of 2-1.
i count nine days.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Maybe because the prepackaged hamburger is shipped frozen? In any case, I would use or freeze any hamburger meat within a day or two. I don't eat that much red meat these days, and I usually buy the frozen hamburger patties. Then just put them on the barbecue frozen.

Dan Estock

TDPRI Member
Could be a myth but I always thought the stuff packaged at the store was roasts or whatever that had gone past their sell by date

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
I worked at a win dixie meat department in highscool. The pre packaged stuff is shipped frozen. The stuff package at the store is trimings from steaks and roasts. Fun fact we used to save the fat only trimmings in a 55 gal barrel and when it filled up it was sold to make makeup and lip stick.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Save yourself.

Stick to bacon.

Dark-Side-Bacon.jpg

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
One problem with ground meat is that pieces from many different animals are ground on the same machinery. This presents the risk of cross-contamination of a whole batch by just a single bad piece.

The outer surface is where meat is most most susceptible to contamination. When it's ground the surface area increases exponentially. This is less of a concern when it's flash-frozen immediately, but meat freshly ground at the market normally doesn't get frozen.

One advantage of fresh-ground is, often you can request a coarser "chili grind," with a little more body & texture.
And if you have it custom ground, you know exactly when it was done.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Why does the hamburger packaged at the grocery store have a use or freeze date of only a few days, while the hamburger packaged at some processing plant has a later use or freeze date?

i count nine days.

One is packed in nitrogen, I'd guess.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If you ask for hamburger at the butchers over here, he would probably point you to the take away shop over the road....

"you can get a good 'Burger over there, mate"...🤣

we ask for Mince or minced beef/lamb/pork/chicken, etc...

a Hamburger here is the whole thing, not just the patty... ;)

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I worked at a win dixie meat department in highscool. The pre packaged stuff is shipped frozen. The stuff package at the store is trimings from steaks and roasts. Fun fact we used to save the fat only trimmings in a 55 gal barrel and when it filled up it was sold to make makeup and lip stick.
Fight Club!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

i count nine days.
No reason.
They just like to mess with ya.
YEP!!!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

i count nine days.
Besides, how else are yiu going to know, for sure, that your Ground Beef is really Pre-CBS?