1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why does Popeye's always make me sick?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrCoolGuy, Apr 19, 2021.

1. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Why does Popeye's always make me sick? And before anyone tries... No, it's not because it's greasy fried chicken. No, it's not salmonella or other food poisoning. The people I'm with never get sick. 15 years ago I tried Popeye's spicy chicken strips, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuit. I spent the rest of the day leaking profusely from both ends. I thought maybe it was just undercooked or bad chicken. I tried again a few months later. Same thing. So I didn't eat Popeyes for a good 15 years... until recently, I was working at a remote jobsite and it was the only thing around. I got the spicy chicken sandwich, red beans and rice. It was great and I was fine! A couple weeks later, I got the same thing. I thought it was going so well... I was glad to be able to eat this terrible fast food... that for so long I thought I couldn't handle. Until today.
    I got the spicy chicken sandwich but instead of the red beans and rice I got the mashed potatoes.... and here I write this from the bathroom... both ends.
    Maybe it's the mashed potatoes and gravy?

trapdoor2 and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Could be something your body doesn’t like...

However, I will say something controversial. Popeyes has gone way downhill in the past 10 years- to the point that I will make a blanket statement that Popeyes sucks. I didn’t leave them, they left me.

drlucky, scook, MrCoolGuy and 2 others like this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Yeah, hard to tell. It could be any one of the million ingredients in their stuff.

I like Popeyes chicken on the bone, really like their green beans and mashed potatoes, but their chicken strips are probably among the worst I’ve ever had. Nasty stuff.

I work directly next to a Popeyes, only have been there once since it opened. Nothing special, but it’s always super busy for lunch.

Still, I can find better tasting fried chicken at quite a few gas stations in town, and at a cheaper price.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  4. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

My mom would kill for Popeye's. My wife and I tried it ONCE; it was once too many. Whatever floats your boat...

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe they use that fake fat in their fryers...it makes some folks really sick, but not others.
    Olestra...I had to look it up.
    Crazy stuff.
    Much better as a deck stain than as food.

duzie, Greggorios, archetype and 5 others like this.
  6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Grease? I feel bad if I eat there.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Here this'll cheer you up! (PS I hope you get better, REALLY)

MrCoolGuy and Shango66 like this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve never had it. I’d like to see what all the hype is about but every time I go by there to get some I’m kind of in a hurry and the drive thru line is around the building and out into the street.

We recently got Cane’s here and so many people raved about it I had to try it. That stuff is total crap. Some of the worst fried chicken I’ve ever had. Yet people continue to rave about it. I thought it was gross.

Chipotle is the one that drains me out of both ends if I’m not careful. I’ve discovered if I get a bowl, I’m fine. Every single time. If I get a burrito, I get what the OP is dealing with. Every single time.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Never been to a Popeyes and rarely ever in any fast food restaurant, but I think this is a clue, a not so subtle hint, a message from your favorite (ahem), well a message anyway. Perhaps you are a slow learner or cannot discern the difference between real food and fake food.

Okay, I could keep going, but I'll stop now.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Popeye's is my favorite chicken fast food.
    I usually get their spicy 3 piece with dirty rice.
    It has always "agreed" with me.
    I have not been as fortunate with other places.
    I can't tolerate greasy fried chicken.
    Anyways, Popeye's is my go-to.
    I know where I'm getting lunch tomorrow!

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I've never felt sick from Popeye's
    ( I have from Checkers, Taco Bell, and Sonic- my own fault for eating this stuff!)

And I really like their Butterfly Shrimp and Catfish combos ( their Spicy chicken too)

I'm just mad that they've gotten rid of the Cajun rice ( aka dirty rice w/spiced ground beef)
    It was our favorite side dish!
    ( that and their onion rings)

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you've had your gall bladder taken out, that may be the cause.

13. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Have never eaten Popeye’s ..... doesn’t sound appealing in any way

bender66 likes this.
  14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I like Popeyes but I do think they have gone down in quality from where they used to be, and that's true of a lot of fast food places especially in the last year.
    Popeyes orginated in New Orleans. Years ago we went to N.O. and there was a Super Popeyes, they were grilling chickens and all kinds of things that were not available at the regular Popeyes.

My youngest son says he feels bad when he eats there, most of the time I like it.
    On a good day it's real good, IF you like spicy fried chicken.
    Where's Bubba, he's from N.O. I'm sure he will weigh in on this.

15. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Thanks for sharing. Could be psychosomatic at this point. You're not missing much -- that "food" is sickening anyway.

DjimiWrey and Abre like this.
  16. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

We had a Pop-Eye-Balls open up in the next closest town to me about 5 years ago and the lines were insane. Went and tried a dark meat meal with mashed potatoes and gravy. The chicken was ok, but I HATE their mashed potatoes and gravy. The tea was good (important to me).

Then the chicken sandwhich came out and I went and tried one. It was really good. Almost equal to a Chick-fil-A sandwhich. I've been back a number of times because it was so good. It slowly got less great over time, after the hype died down they droppes their standard and it showed.

Then just two months ago a Pop-Eyes-Out opened in my town.

If you want good bone on chicken that is crispy, flaky, tasty, with just a bit of heat, then go to a Bojangles and catch them on a good day. They also have great fries, when hot, and great mashed potatos and gravy (white or brown). Plus when their tea is made correctly it is hands down the best tasting tea I've ever had.

17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

If I get sick at a fast food chain I never eat there again..Never!

Telecastoff1 and guitar_paul1 like this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it is the mashed potatoes.

We got popeyes last week. My wife had the spicy chicken sandwich and I got three piece with mac n cheese. it was good. No negatives.

I don't think it was uncooked chicken or foul butter or anything... but, I do think that popeyes is pretty hyper processed food and your body may just kind of say 'no dice' to it. There are so many good choices out there, maybe just not popeyes for you.

We get fast food once or twice a month and pretty much never get sick, I think we're all just wired differently and I also think your mindset has a huge influence... if you are wary going in... listen to that voice.

drlucky, Jakedog and MrCoolGuy like this.
  19. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Wife loves Popeyes... I get the scoots from their stuff.

“Seems to me It’s Chemistry”.

Fretting out and Skydog1010 like this.
  20. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I don’t mind spicy food, I eat plenty of it, but cayenne pepper guts me. I’ve met people with similar reactions. It could be that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.