Why Does Light Travel?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Mar 20, 2016.

1. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

It should be obvious. Because it's the easiest thing for them to do. If it wasn't they wouldn't do it. Figure there is nothing there to stop them in the most cases and you can't slow them down so they just keep going. There is nothing that acts as a light resistor. There are things that let some light pass and other frequencies through like a filter. things that will stop them all together anything opaque. Which pretty much just transforms light energy into micro amounts heat energy.

So once a photon is created the energy it was created with is always and will always be there unless something stops it altogether. It doesn't lose any of it's potential energy as it travels because there is no opposing force that can act on it unless it can transform the light back into physical energy in the form of heat.

2. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

Thinking about my days as a poor student a while back, driving half-dead 36 horsepower volkswagens..... at the top speed of 50 mph the lights only worked half the time anyway.....so at higher speeds, I'll bet the lights wouldn't work, based on my experience!

overlock likes this.
  3. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

In a nice simple way middleman is probably closest. On the flip side I've been reading up on the part where light and all the other stuff got sucked, pre big bang. Now that will freak you out. For years I have been trying to write a low-down blues but have been stuck at

my dog died this morning
    and my truck won't start

gonna have to jump that sucker
    but my ex stole the cables

gotta get momma from prison
    she finally got paroled

4. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

No, according to the rules of physics I learned in Physical Science based on Einstein's E=mc2 it would not be possible.

The reason is mass and weight. As something is accelerated (a rocket ship or whatever) it gains mass and thereby takes more energy to make it move faster, which then increases mass, which requires more energy, etc and etc. This inhibits mass from ever reaching the speed of light.

Photons however have no mass (theoretically for the sake of argument in this example) and are therefore unencumbered and free to travel the speed of light.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, you try living an entire lifetime in an excited state and see how difficult it is to sit still. Lines in the spectrum? Fraunhofer or telluric?

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow Merle Haggard is a scientist. Rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell. Wow Merle, you da man.

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You clearly have not watched any NCAA or NBA hoops lately...

EVERYBODY travels

;)

Joe Sailor, teletimetx and Tele1966 like this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

They must think they have somewhere to go.

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

How true. It may be billions of years for you, but for the photon no time at all has elapsed.

10. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

In the vacuum of space light will travel until it hits something and is absorbed. Why it starts moving, well that's just what light does...after all, it had a speed named after it!

11. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I don't know that I understood correctly but I read in The Fabric of the Cosmos that everything travels through spacetime at light speed which is why travelling faster in space makes you travel slower in time.

It's like if you at travelling north at 100km/h and then change direction to north-east. You are travelling the same speed but are now going faster eastwards and slower northwards than you were.

So given that light travels through space at light speed, does this mean that it is stationery in time?

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

The photons would fall down and then we would have a real mess to clean up

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes. That is actually a very good analogy in two dimensions vs. 4.

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Universe wants to scramble eggs because the Universe knows you cannot unscramble an egg.

An understanding of entropy and it's influence on everything makes everything make sense. The Universe absolutely HATES order.

It's why life is such a struggle. The Unified Theory of Everything is already known to laymen: it's essentially UNIVERSE SMASH!

Eventually, the Universe will only consist of a fizz of microwave-frequency photons because that's it's master plan. If I were a theologian I'd say the Creator was a huge fan of violence.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  15. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

They have no resistance.

16. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

If a photon is travelling and no one sees it is it really travelling?

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Of course the headlights would work , the question you are asking is if traveling at the speed of light and you turned on your headlight would the result be the speed of light X the speed of light . Answer is no the speed of light is a constant and can not as we know it, exceed the speed of light so if you were standing infront of the vehicle travelling the speed of light and the headlights came on and you saw the flash , too late you are a speed bump. At the speed of light your vehicle would circle the earth 7 times in one second.

18. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Unless the violence was introduced from an outside source?
    Another Universe?

19. Mahnmut26

Mahnmut26 Tele-Meister

"Lord, I was born a ramblin' photon. . ."

Tele1966 likes this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

or the bubble pops and we start all over again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.