Why does everybody rate the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by sesentados, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sesentados

sesentados TDPRI Member

This is my first post so hi to everyone! I am quite ancient and British so remember very well the Beatles when they first arrived on the scene and caused quite a stir in the music world! But i, like a lot of music fans soon tired of their banal songs! They were very poor musicians,and I can attest to this because I saw them before fame came their way,and even in their hayday were never that good! As others have said,what about the people from the50,s. I know this will enrage a lot of fans but this is only my opinion.

2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I am not very ancient or British, but I never got the extreme level of hype the band got either. Basically the N’SYNC, 98 Degrees, Backstreet Boys of their time.

Change my mind.

jh

Yes, I know they wrote their own songs. And I did read George Martins book about his life recording them and that’s a great book about pushing the technology of the day, but all that early “wanna hold you hand” stuff, I can skip it.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

If you haven't "gotten" them yet, you likely never will.

4. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Oh, I gave up on that long ago and I’ve been quite alright without them. :lol:;)

jh

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If you don't like the Beatles:eek:, you'll like the Analogues even less:confused:...great fun. Change my mind! :lol::lol::lol:

But don't spend too much time on changing my mind...because you won't ;). Cheers!

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

It’s not that I don’t like them. They have some good tunes. I just don’t think they were the greatest band to ever exist. And no, I do not like the Analogues! :p

jh

stormsedge likes this.
  7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

OH great, another "The Beatles were not all that and a bag of chips" thread.

Okay, if you say so.

LOL. I guess this is a troll.

PeterUK, demon, Blue Bill and 6 others like this.
  8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

They are judged on basis of their voices, their compositions and the stories their songs told.

They captured the zeitgeist of a generation

Being a "good musician" is utterly irrelevant. Plenty of guys with chops that can't tell a story if their life depended on it. People don't care about level of musician and technical skill. It's all about if what is brought to the table connects emotionally with the audience

Talk about "Being a good musician" is mostly seen in penis measuring contests among musicians that can't entice an audience.

9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

I’m not that ancient (to my 5 year old kid maybe I am), and don’t listen to the Beatles at all really. But I appreciate their impact on popular music as a whole, and I recognize that they influenced many bands I do listen to.

Whether they were the best at anything is immaterial. But their influence is undeniable.

10. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I don't hate the Beatles. They wrote many songs; some if them hold up. I was never much into pop though.
    The Stones hit closer to my bone. No impetus to brawling intended.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly!! I'd rather hear any of George's leads than any Yngwie Johan Malmsteen's fretboard gymnastics riffs. John's rhythm playing was extraordinary.

I am ancient and I listen to them regularly. Sometimes when letting iTunes shuffle songs I hear a long forgotten gem and rediscover another reason why I still listen.
    Yes, their influence is undeniable. Other than a few genres you can't find major artists who weren't influenced by them.
    Comparing them to N'Sync, as one poster did, is beyond being ignorant. If emulation is the highest form of flattery, check out the number of covers of Beatles tunes on YouTube vs other artists.

CajunJ and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

An interesting way to join our forum, but nevertheless welcome. Not a huge Beatlesfan myself, but you've got to admit to their popularity, influence and success. Hard to substantiate that they were not good at anything.

13. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

The importance of Sgt Pepper in The Beatles’ legacy cannot be overstated IMO. I think that album alone elevates them to greatness.

I can take or leave much of their other work(s).

nojazzhere and Treehouse like this.
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'd love to change your mind and yes john lennon said in an interview thaat in the beginning they were not any better that a lot of good bands but they bought the media with free booze ,drugs and women... the interview was in an ancient Rolling Stone. use the index to find it. then they did revolver and after a while they got George Martin working with them. I am not trying to change your mind I don't really care about the opinions of other when it comes to pop culture , beside I learned a long time ago I'm not in the changing mind business. It's a waste of time , really . I don't own any Beatles Records , I left them with my ex-late wife when we became estranged. She loved the Beatles so I left them with her.
    See I didn't have any effect on your thought process of thinking patterns and in no way violated your spirit with any inappropriate intrusions, your welcome.
    00farside_-_hateplace.jpg

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I like Revolver and I like Sgt Pepper and a handful of other tunes. I’m not here to run them down or say they didn’t impact people. All I said was I personally never found the attraction so many others do. To me most of it is garbage pop music, but I also do love me some garbage pop music. Just not so much a selection of songs I’ve heard thousands of times in my lifetime. I Wanna Hold Your Hand was great the first 10 times I heard it. Now, nope.

jh

16. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

First post on a Telecaster forum and you introduce yourself with this?

Do you play guitar, are you a musician please be a little more constructive.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Troll

18. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

I don’t think potato chips are all they are hyped up to be.

19. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Back when my good wife was a BCBA writing behavior modification programs for Autistic children I came to realize what a powerful motivator attention is. Children will literally do most anything depending on someone giving or withholding attention. From this I deduced that attention-seeking behavior is prevelant everywhere in society-it explains so much. I even used to have a dream where people as far as the eye could see were running around in circles with their hands in the air yelling " Look at me! Look at me!"

To the OP-there have been many, many threads on the Beatles on this forum. If you are truly interested in opinions please use the search function and you will have no lack of material. Every opinion imaginable is there.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting joining a group and announcing that you know your opinion will enrage a lot of fans in the group, then sharing it.

How about sharing stuff that won’t enrage people?

My question for the world of today is:
    Why add to the distress when you could add to the harmony?

Hmmm, maybe this answers the question about why so many fans seem to like the Beatles?
    While others just don’t get it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.