Why does every fender RI have bad speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jack Clayton, Jun 23, 2019.

1. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Fender doesn't claim that the '68 Custom series are reissues of SF amps, they are customized versions of the BF Reissue amps, with SF cosmetics to differentiate them from the BF RI's. They probably shouldn't have done the SF cosmetics on that series, as it seems to have made for a lot of confusion.
    Al

jimash likes this.
  2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Of the '68 custom Princetons that I played in stores, either the speakers were not broken in, or had been abused early, and "clanked" instead of singing.
    And that is why I made sure to buy one NIB and treat it nice till it settled in . Two years down the road, maybe three, mt memory is not so good, it sounds great and I haven't been tempted to play with tubes or open it up. Exactly what I wanted.
    I play it largely through a closed cab with one EVM12-L from 1980.
    Actually the 10/30 performs well and sounds very good, but it does break up sooner than I like. I may like not at all. And I am considering a Copperhead.
    But really the 10/30 is ok, less loud, and if you like it , easily replaceable. Because that is the actual concern. That one will step on the "magic speaker blower" pedal , and it will. That is the most practical reason to get a better speaker.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nothing huge in the way of build..I also flipped the tubes for russian made ones(Mallards)..the G10 has a larger magnet and to my ears sounded better right away after trying out both..if you like it that's a-okay to..

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

But it's perfect for me. I had a real 1968 Twin Reverb, that I had modified in about 1974, and the mods were very similar. I get the same type of physical response from the small amp as I used to from the scary Twin. A recognizable thing.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

"Mallards"?. I bet they have good "quack".
    Al

aerhed, LuthRavin and jimash like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cool. I have no real opinion about the VX10 speakers. Just wondering what your reasoning was, that's all.

LuthRavin likes this.
  7. LuthRavin

LOL!!! Well...I am from Oregon..Go Ducks!!

8. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

I couldn't agree more. Fender does a good job pairing the Jensens in their cabs. I tried the Eminence 1058 in my PRRI and all of the high-end frequencies disappeared and it didn't sound anywhere near as good. The Jensen went back in after a few weeks. I also like the p10R's in my Super Reverb. My Tweed Blues Jr has a Jensen as well and it sounds fine. I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't believe the new Jensens are cheap or a cost cutting measure. They compliment the Fender tone. I like them and even use them in my Supro 1600 and my Gibson GA5. They do the job for me and I like the high end they put out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    LuthRavin likes this.
  9. LuthRavin

^^^
    This...My Super has long lost it's orginal speakers..but all my other Fenders 65' vibro champ..Tweed BJr..DRRI..and my new ProjrIV..all stock from the factory..I've learned to play them in(the speakers)..and have been happily rewarded..without undue ego..I can make any and all of these sound good..including the V-AC10..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.