Why does every fender RI have bad speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jack Clayton, Jun 23, 2019.

1. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

My story on my DRRI..stone stock..ehhh.. installed 54' Raytheon 6v6's..some older pre-amp tubes, and warmed up the brrrrr. cold factory bias.these changes helped instanly.. yeap..forged on with my stock Jensen C12K..Once broken it also woke right up..it took a while..my Pro Jr. IV stock tubes and speaker..once broke in it also came alive..none of that shrill the web pros gab about....and yes..SUPER QUIET..same thing with my Tweedy Blues Jr, III once given a chance(years ago) the speaker is fine..there are other choices out there..find them..seek them out..for "ME" my hunt for tone has long been erased.. oh yeah..forgot..my Voxac10..that one I did change out..for a Celestion G10 Greenback..Brit made..didn't want to run the Chinese made one..no-offense..to our Chinese friends..my two cents worth..

2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

as with music, there is only good and bad music. same with speakers, either you like them or you don't.

play music!

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what was in your AC10, but the Celestion 10" Greenback has always been made in the UK. At least all the ones I've seen, and I have about 3 of them.
    Al

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I don't think the speakers are the problem. The actual custom shop handwired amps sound great with stock speakers. The "reissues" with pcb's, plastic jacks, etc., sound spiky, harsh, and terrible, because they are awful. That's all. Let the flamethrowing begin...

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My Electric Blue DRRI came with an Alnico Blue.

6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I guess you have the opinion that electrons behave differently in a hand wired circuit vs. pcb. My DRRI is not awful. It sounds as good or better than my 1966 DR did.

jimash, dan1952, telepraise and 2 others like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How do the ears know when a PCB is involved? I always wanted to know.

LuthRavin likes this.
  8. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When the PCB vibrates to that G 3rd fret low E string and makes a buzzing noise....

aerhed likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Put a pcb amp and a hand wired amp behind a curtain. All else is equal. If tone gurus can immediately tell the difference, then they have the heightened abilities to tell. If they cannot, it's all emotional bias.

LuthRavin and MilwMark like this.
  10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I, too love the Allesandro speaker but it pushed the carry weight of my DRRI to 50 lbs. which is a real strain on my lower back. It also is quite efficient, I couldn't push the volume much passed 2 with it. I ended up putting the Jensen back in which I can turn up to 3. I'm in the minority, but I like the alnico. It has a lot of sparkle and chimes real nice. Both of my Fenders and the Gretsch sound great IMO. You do have to tame the treble and the bass will get farty with overdrive if you turn it up too much. If I was playing out with a drummer I'd definitely have an Emi in there.

schmee likes this.
  11. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Profit margins?

12. MilwMark

That’s weird. The stock Jensen weighs 9.5 lb. the Alessandro weighs 7.5.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Are you playing new amps in stores? Or amps that have been used for some time?

New amps almost always sound like they have overly tight, restrictive speakers - because new speakers take 20-40 hours (generally) of playing at medium volume to "break in". It's VERY difficult to judge quality of any new amp in a store.

This is a secondary issue. Even after break in many speakers in Fender RI amps don't sound that great - because they are selected partially to meet technical requirements, but primarily to meet a specific price point. A $5 per unit difference in cost in an amp with a dealer cost of $700 pretty much guarantees the use of the less expensive choice.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The stock AC10C1 speaker is a Vox VX10, which appears to be a Celestion Ten 30 with a larger dust cap. MIC, 30 Watt, ceramic magnet.

LuthRavin likes this.
  15. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I agree with the posts above that note while some folks like the Italian reissue (imitation) Jensens, many don't. And OTOH @Silverface is right, when you try one at the store you aren't really hearing the speaker as it will sound after break-in. Finally, sure, good players can get good sounds out of these amps.

Does that make them good speakers (in the main?) No.

Of course price and (markup) profit are factors. You pay $$$ for Jensens because of the name. Do you think Fender does? Just the opposite. Jensen can probably give them to Fender at almost cost because a) scale (huge numbers) and b) it's such good marketing to have them perceived as 'correct' in the reissues.

I didn't totally hate my '68 Custom Princeton Reverb (didn't love it either) but I was *extremely* unimpressed when I found out I could buy the Celestion Ten 30 in it for $35 full retail.

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My new '65 Princeton Reverb
    Is this bad?
    20190623_223814.jpg

17. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I actually hadn't heard any of that. Just played a bunch of amps and liked what I liked. Thanks for the profound condescension though...

Rufus likes this.
  18. MilwMark

You asked if it was your imagination. I answered yes.

19. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I guess that's possible, and I'm obviously generalizing. But I know that I've played a modded 68 PRRI with a Nash 72 Tele and the sound of it was like the voice of God. I wish I'd asked the folks at the Chicago Music Exchange the specifics of the modifications. All the tag said was "Vintage correct". But I know you can start with that 68' custom and build it into something magnificent.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I think Fender puts the right speaker in their products, for the voice and response intended. Most buyers agree (or they wouldn't buy..). But, you can push a Fender to sound like something else with the right speaker swap. And then there are those who have to customize everything, and believe in Lake Wobegon (everyone is above average, i.e., all mods are an improvement).

telepraise and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.