why do young folks hate baby boomers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maryjane, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

i've experienced some ageism recently, mostly in seeking employment;

but i recently read a posting here in which someone said they were sick of

being "ridden roughshod" or something similar by baby boomers...wth?

i know some cranky old people, no doubt; and some angry young people as well;

but when i see people blaming an entire generation for the condition of the

world as it is today, i have to say: hey, we're just trying to get by like you...

we don't make the policies, start the wars, set the prices...i need a nap.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Uh, I'm kinda not feelin' the love from the younguns either.
    Weird.

3. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

I don't usually feel the love from the old'uns.

People are just ugly in general, don't take it personal

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ironic to take issue with something 1 person said about a whole generation and then start a thread titled "why do young folks hate baby boomers?"

:confused:

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The Cult of the Disappointed is filled with folks of all ages.

6. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

The same reason the "Gen X" hated the "Lucky Few" generation, the "Boomers" rebelled against the "Good Warriors," and so forth and so on. Generational differences always breed social friction.

Every generation rebels and rails against those previous, it's the Western human condition.

7. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Previous to this thread, I had no problem with boomers.

Now, after reading it, it's clear the OP speaks for the whole generation.

8. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

My Dad, who is 69, says his generation basically destroyed everything for the next generation. Even though I am last of baby boomer gen, he said his generation of baby boomers was the first generation that did not leave the next generation better off.

9. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I don't hate Boomers. I know that it would be wrong to blame you for the things that you've been able to take for granted, but which I'll never enjoy, like affordable higher education, ample job opportunities, cheap gas, clean air, retirement, and good music on the radio.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Because the mirror is a much more difficult place to look when seeking blame for your problems.

11. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Boomers! They are described as born between 1946 & 1964. That's an 18 year time period.

Funny thing is that my parents had just reached puberty in 1946, and I don't feel like I've got much in common with 65-66 year-olds that began the Baby Boomer era. After all, they were in their 20's in the late 60's (and I wasn't even a teenager until the 70's).

12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

my work brings me into contact with clients and co-workers who range in age from 17 to 100 ... i'll be 55 soon ... i don't see any problems ... my Dad is 83 ... no problem there ... people are people, and you just get along with them or you don't ...

13. stevieboy

I know some define boomers that way, but the term was created to refer to the post WWII baby boom specific to the WWII generation returning from or recovering from the war, long past by 1964. Somehow it got extended by sociologists, but I can't really see how someone born in 1964 can be compared to someone born in 1951 in terms of anything that might define a "generation," whether it be their origins or their common experiences.

But, yeah, people are people when it comes down to it.

14. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

To directly respond to the OP's question... "ageism" as you put it goes both ways. the reason you aren't feeling the love is the exact same reason that the generation before you didn't like your music and your attitude etc. There is nothing new here.

It is just as ridiculous to blame an entire generation for the attitudes you perceive from some individuals from that generation. I have no problem with boomers and beyond. In fact I find much wisdom and many good lessons on life from a group of those very people. I have however been just as annoyed by the countless others that are so blatantly disrespectful to others of a younger generation for no other reason than that they are younger.

15. stevieboy

Well, that one's full of issues. I remember when I got out of college jobs were very difficult to come by for awhile for most people, even the ones with degrees in fields that are supposed to be golden. We hit a gas crisis where hour long waits at gas stations were not uncommon. Gas got up to a close to a couple of bucks a gallon then, and didn't go back. I would refer you to an inflation calculator, 1972 versus 2012 to compare gas prices. Pollution was probably worse then, and good music on the radio only happened over a couple of short periods in my lifetime, most of the time radio has not been the place to find good music. We had the bejezus scared out of us when we were kids with a very real threat of eminent nuclear war.

Oh, and I can't see being able to retire any time soon.

I'm not complaining about my life, or say that we had it so tough compared to any others, just trying to introduce some reality to the mythology with some specific counter points. You remember the way it never was, to quote a Kim Ritchie song.

16. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

I don't hate any particular generation; I just want the damn kids to get off of my lawn.

17. stevieboy

We did hold you down by the throats and force you to listen to the Beatles. When all else fails, you can always use that one!

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

There are a lot of generations. Basically every 4-5 yrs...unique population-sets..

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Be nice or you won't get all our stuff.

20. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

Well, whenever I am confused about what to think, I do what most of us probably do - ask myself, "What does Nikki Minaj have to say about this?"

“Ice my wrist-es then I p-ss on b-tches. You could suck my diznick, if you taking shizzes. You don’t like them disses, give my a** some kisses. Yeah they know what this is; givin this some business.”

I believe this was her adopting the character of an aging baby boomer discussing his feelings when he hears hurtful statements from the younger generation.

I'm not sure there is much more to be said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.