Why do you still play out in bars and clubs?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Rockerfeller, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Hammerdog, psykobilly and vgallagher like this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Like was said in the other thread, bar gig = paid practice, plus the gear lugging tax.

Excellent tune.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

because it's still fun and allows us to "DO WHAT WE DO"

If someone doesn't want to play these venues, they don't have to. The good news is someone else WILL . Live Music will still take place, with or without us.

Playing LIVE in front of and for people is something non players can never relate to. Its why we picked up a guitar at a young age. We didn't do that for the gig money. We did it because we have a desire deep inside.

For some people its just something we do, important but not critical. For others it defines who we are. It IS who we are.

Sure money is important we don't want to play for free, I think we can all agree to this. And we all know that over the past decade bands "salary" has been cut .

There is another side to that, for years we were booking out at local clubs for 5 or 600 as some bands still are. Some nights we drew a good crowd, other nights, NOT. But the club owner still had to come up with 5 or 600. Not every band draws ,not even the best bands in the area. So the BOUGH broke. I am sure we have all watched a few venues go under.

So to be direct, I still play some bars because that's where the rubber meets the road as a player. Atmosphere, music, social, camaraderie and now we get to execute ( if we can) what we woodshed on. We are now a player , with a guitar , in front of others, one chance to get it right . No amount of money can't save us while we are performing.

Of course we don't book late gigs anymore , 11 PM is about as late as we will go. Surprisingly thats not an uncommon CUT OFF time around here.

I'm still on rotation at two venues , early hours , reasonable crowds, good fun, ( we make it fun) and a few bucks. I get to play my Guitars in front of people, have fun AND get paid.

The way I see it , as a guitar player, thats what I was thinking I would do when I started this journey well over 50 years ago !

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  4. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

T, that's it! That pretty much sums it up for me. The only thing different for me is that I do all that now in the private party / corporate / concert in the park type gig atmosphere. You get to experience everything you just said AND the money is better!

T Prior likes this.
  5. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

That is true!

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I hear this. My goal is to make enough money to pay for my gear. If I do that, I’m happy. One way is to book more gigs. The other is to stop buying gear. I’m working on both....

Flat6Driver likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

The way I justify it to my wife is to compare it to golf. Yes, I’m gone for hours and barely make any money. But other husbands go out golfing, they are gone half the day, and it costs a fortune. Do I have more fun playing music than I would playing golf? Waddya think?

8. Marc Morfei

This is all absolutely true....

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

9pm-1am sucks, so I try to avoid that type of gig. With the music we play these days bars aren’t really our ideal venue anyway.

Definitely not doing it for the money. I just like to play with people and for people.

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I have other hobbies that cost way more than golf or all the music gear I've bought.

There's something about music though that I don't need to explain to you all, it does something good for you. However, while I like the dopamine hit, it's short lived and I need to keep getting it.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I don't play the "clubs" in DC, but I watch the scene a bit. I've live way out so I don't even attend. We had two actual music venues close in the last couple weeks.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's a question that caused me to give it up for 7 years...then some friends talked me into getting back into it...like putting my hand back on s hot stove ;)
    I think I do it because I must.
    Like a bird has no choice but to build a nest.
    But also because people dig it.
    The fact that people will spend their hard-earned money to come out and hear me play my songs is mind-numbingly humbling and fills me with joy and gratitude.
    I prefer festivals where people are really there just to hear music, but there's just something about a down-and-dirty bar gig that has no equal.

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

How many people buy a bass boat, fishing equipment, a fishing license, then complain because they don't get paid to go fishing?

keithb7 and Wildcard_35 like this.
  14. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

It keeps me out of the bars...

Rockerfeller likes this.
  15. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

It's never been about the money for me, it's the rush of doing what I love in front of other people. But after a lot of years doing it even that has it's limits. As my kids get older and more and more involved in activities the rush of seeing them succeed in what they want to do has really taken over and schlepping a bunch of gear out to a bar to play ZZ Top in front of a bunch of drunks is steadily loosing its appeal.

Rockerfeller likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

What else should I do?

Watching TV is not a chance at evenings, I rather strum some chords and break some strings

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Because they only serve alcohol once a week in the senior's residence and not at all in church!

Actually, I stopped gigging a long time ago so the topic no longer applies to me.

18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have a Dead cover band with a few of my co-workers. We play out maybe three or four times a year. We only practice when we have a gig coming up. We all run direct into the board, even the electronic drums. We use IEMs and no stage amplification, so there's minimal gear to move, and my ears don't end up ringing all night after we play. It's probably the only reason I keep doing it. After I retire from this job, which will likely be in the next couple years, I'm done with bands. I'll still enjoy playing at home through my computer monitors, with no gear to move, and no loud noises, and no surly patrons to deal with other than my wife.

19. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Just plain ol' fun..

20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I am fortunate for two reasons when it comes to my band. First, I genuinely like everyone in the band-- both as really great musicians but more importantly as really good guys
    that I like to hang out with. So rehearsing and gigging with them is the equivalent of my guys' poker night or bowling night-- except we play music. Second, we have been getting
    mostly gigs at microbreweries. These are very civilized gigs where we play from about 6-8 or 6-9 pm with an appreciative, fun crowd that includes all ages, even kids.

I would probably be happy just jamming with these guys once every couple of weeks. But just like a kid taking piano lessons needs the pressure of a recital, we need at least a gig
    a month or so to maintain energy and motivation as a band. When we have shows on the calendar this causes us to focus, make the time on our calendars to get together, and to
    craft and hone new songs, whether a cover or an original. When the calendar is looking blank for a few months then our rehearsals get more sporadic and we don't make any progress:
    we get stale.

Finally, I have to admit that I get a rush from playing out. It's just fun as others have said, and when people are really digging us and saying we're great of course that's a big ego boost.

I am sure that I could play out all by myself-- I've done it before. Lots of venues want the quiet noodler in the corner to create an ambiance. But it's all about playing with my friends
    that makes it worth it. If I'm playing by myself I'd rather do that at home so I can lay down multiple tracks and try to create a song to post on SoundCloud, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.