1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do you like your strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sothoth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

What's not to like?
    2006 Hwy 1 stock

20191223_184554.jpg
    1985 Charvel made in San Dimas. Original owner

20191218_103029.jpg
    1982, 1st year of production Fullerton 62 RI stock

20180517_141338.jpg

Not mine, but friend that just got Alligator. The REAL Alligator!
    IMG_6007.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    lost sailor, NicDo and KelvinS1965 like this.
  2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

More than any other, Strats have come and gone in my collection. I've had a MIJ Squier (that I never should've sold), an American Special (that was "okay"), and a Partscaster that I built earlier this year. I took steps with the one I assembled to compensate for things I hadn't liked about the previous two. Overall, the S-type characteristics that I enjoy are:

1. The Neck Pickup - Great, expressive sound that is fantastic clean and with a touch of 'verb. Easily my most used position.
    2. The Body Shape - Bottom line is that it's comfortable whether sitting or standing. Nothing pokes, nothing digs in, and it's a reasonable weight.
    3. The In-Between Sounds - Can't get them anywhere else and sometimes you just need them... (My PRS CE does a reasonable impression.)
    4. Pickguard Design - Having everything mounted this way makes maintenance/repairs and modifications incredibly straightforward.
    5. Bridge Pickup w/Fuzz - With a good fuzz, this position is excellent...without, it's just not good. :)

3. Traitor Joe

Traitor Joe TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Don't be so hard on yourself, your guitar looks great. I think you said your last refin was back to two tone with a nitro clear coat? If so... the JV body was original poly (well... I know my '62 is) so your nitro is actually more accurate to a real '57.

The body on mine is holding it's own... but it does have a lot of wear/tear on the back and sides, much more than the top does. Nitro dents, cracks and wears.... poly peels :cry:

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  5. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Let’s all agree to call it a Vibrato from now on then.

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

That’s an uphill battle, but I’m game.

NewKid likes this.
  7. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I love my strat because of the way it plays and sounds. Aesthetically, I think they are really great looking guitars as well.

The 2 and 4 positions are hard to beat on a strat.

8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

It’s similar to calling Native Americans Indians. This is not India.

9. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

My first decent guitar was an hss strat copy, and I had many others after that. I was playing metal for the first few years, then started getting into blues and classic rock playing, then independent rock from the 80's and 90's and punk from the 60's - 90's, and now back into the blues and classic rock stuff. These days while I still mainly play an sss strat, I think that I don't have a major preference of guitar. Strats, teles, sg's, les pauls, gretch's, oddballs, whatever. Lot's of fun guitars out there that have different characters for different sorts of playing. I think people tend to get too hung up on what their heroes play. Hss strats often get frowned upon by purists, but I think they are very versatile and can sound as good as anything else out there.

10. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Marc Muller likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I like Strats, not so much for what they are, but for what they can become. Looking through the thread there are innumerable Strat variants and it just scratches the surface. It seems sometimes that there are no two alike. For me, Stratocaster is the only guitar I have two of. My first was an American Standard. 60 cycle hum was bothering me so I removed the Fat '50s pickups and installed Vintage Noiseless. I also added a switch for all possible pickup combinations. That satisfied me and I really couldn't see the need for another. Then something happened. A CS '69 Strat followed me home one night. I did a NGD post about it. I won it at a Fender Custom Shop Road Show event. This one is as different from my Am Std as a guitar can be. The underwound CS '69 pickups are underwound, bright, and the hum is very tolerable. I was never a fan of heavy relic but it's grown on me. The reverse angle bridge pickup gets rid of ice pick and I can get a Telecaster like twang from it. The strings are a little closer to the edges of the fretboard so it's forced my to work on technique. This Strat will not tolerate sloppiness. So I've got a brighter one and a darker one with very little sonic overlap between them. I find myself using the CS '69 more than all of my other guitars combined. It's no longer the novelty of a new guitar. There's just something about it. This link will take you to my NGD thread.
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-cs-69-stratocaster.983263/

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

A friend had the JB Jr in the bridge of his Strat, it ripped and sounded good!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I routed and installed a full sized JB in a MIJ contemporary strat back the 80's when they first came out. I loved it back then but wasn't sure how i'd like it today. The junior sounds about the same from memory and I'm glad I installed it in this one.

kookaburra likes this.
  14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I’m with you on the bridge pickup...only way it works for me is with fuzz. :)

15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

I have 3 strats with a great sounding bridge pickup.
    I have two teles with great sounding neck pickups.
    All original single coils, of course.

I found that this is a matter of the overall quality. Saying the neck pu in teles and the bridge pu in strats are typical weak spots is setting the benchmark for good instruments too low.

For comparision, I've always had HSS strats since 1984, too. Almost never use the humbucker alone, though.

16. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

If the body shape seems "generic" it is only because everyone has copied it precisely because it is such a brilliant design. It certainly wasn't generic when it was first created.

It balances well, looks great, feels great.

61fury likes this.
  17. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

That's about the best way I've seen that put. I'm gonna steal that from you.

18. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Steal away, it's just the way it is.

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I've owned up to 14 Fender Strats, but I'm down to 9.

I had a Custom Strat style guitar made for my son as a birthday present.

It had all the appointments he'd want on a strat, and turned out the most versatile guitar in our guitar collection.

It's also the lightest, most comfortable, and best sounding Strat style guitar in our collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

The neck pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.