Why do you like your strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sothoth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Versatility. Options. The ability to swap out that absolutely huge pickguard for another loaded with whatever you want. Teles are great but there’s only so much you can do without changing the bridge. Plus strats are sleek and sexy! You can deck the bridge and take the arm out. I just bought a Schecter Strat because I haven’t had one in forever. It seems right to have one on the wall next to the other axes.

2. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Zepfan likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

I never had any interest in strats at all. I took my amp into Guitar Center to try out a hollowbody I had my eye on. quickly put the hollowbody back on the rack. My buddy Bob happened into the store and we got talking and trying some guitars,You know where this is headed. So he handed me this MIM FSR strat from the scratch and dent rack. I instantly bonded with it and was afraid to even put it back on the rack for fear someone else might snag it. What do I like about it ? the effect the trem springs have on the tone . eventually I found out how to crank up switch pos 2 and 4 and fund a whole new sound
    I did touch up to the damage .

[​IMG]

4. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

May I recommend the Suhr v60lp hot bridge....

Shango66 likes this.
  5. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat TDPRI Member

I have a Roadhouse and a Deluxe Player...they are just so much fun to play..

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

D2A11F16-683B-4271-9AAE-96999F4F1B1F.jpeg It doesn’t bumch my shrit.

Dan German and AlbertaGriff like this.
  7. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

My Strat was my first “real” guitar after I got my first job. (Of course if I had been really smart, I would have kept my Japanese Strat I traded...)

So, got my first real job and treated myself to a 1991 Strat Ultra with the Lace Sensors. I blocked the bridge, and I’ll never get rid of that guitar.

A ‘91 will never be a “Vintage” collectors item, but man, they built some nice stuff back then.

~syf

mooncaine and black_doug like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With the metal roller nut?
    The neck on my above pictures Strat with JM pickup is a ‘91 with the 1st gen wider roller nut and I’ve had it since 1997 IIRC.
    Used with no tuners for $100 at a shop where I was working as a guitar tech.
    Great neck from a great era.

9. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Yep. Wilkinson Roller Nut.

Satin neck, perfect frets... they really made a nice guitar back in those days.

“Those days”. Said the old guy!
    ~syf

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've had my Japanese Vintage Squier Strat since Christmas 1982 and it's been everywhere with me; even took it away to sea with me when I was in the Royal Navy. It's been (original) 2 tone sunburst, ice blue, black and back to 2 tone sunburst again. Re-fretted due to wear and I changed the pickguard (I'd drilled a small hole in it 25 years ago for some reason), so I built up a whole new set with Bareknuckle Apache pickups and added an Eric Clapton mid boost PCB.

It plays fantastically, I even prefer it to some pretty expensive MIA ones I've tried over the years. It might have a poly neck (I had the body done in nitro the last time), but it has worn nicely and even has some wear on the fingerboard on the first 2-3 frets.

Whenever I pick it up after learning a song on another guitar, I always seem to be able to play it better on this Strat...

Strat finished.jpg

Eric Clapton mid boost:

Pickguard 2.jpg

I had a black 'fake bakelite' guard on it for a while, but put it back to white now:
    Strat 5.jpg

11. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I'm torn on Strats. As far as strats go, I only have a Squier Affinity model, so my thoughts might be invalid. Sometimes I think "this could be the only guitar I would ever need," while other times I think, "why do I even need a Strat?" It can do a lot of different things - and I think for me that's where the weakness lies. It has too many options. I end up playing with the switch and controls more than I do playing music.

12. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I gotta see what that looks like...

13. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

She is such a beauty. What is her name?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Um... "Strat"..."ocaster".

I don't name my guitars.

It's an American Vintage '59 Reissue though, and it's awesome.

nathanteal, NewKid and FrontPU like this.
  15. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

You let me know her "name" which I needed to know, thanks. Wish you both happiness for many years to come. ;)

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  16. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

If the strat had only two knobs, and open space where the volume knob is, I could get along with it a lot better. That's my only beef with strats.

17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That's the MIJ JV '57... beautiful guitar!
    I've got an MIJ JV '62 that I purchased in March of '84 (the guitar is an '83).

I see you are in the UK... I am in Canada. Both countries received this line of the Squier JV's but the US market received a much lower quality JV variant. When JV's are discussed in these forums most US participants will describe a thin sounding guitar with cheap hardware - as you know, these are anything but.

The body, neck, hardware and two of the pickups are original. The pots have been changed (foolishness, not necessity) and the middle pickup is a reverse wound (not to spec). The original middle pickup died in a failed potting experiment a few decades ago :cry:. Frets, nut, all hardware are in tact - although I am getting really close to needing a refret. The original spec was a 3 way switch that I quickly changed to a 5-way. Recently I installed a super switch and rather than running the center pickup alone (which I never used) I run the bridge/neck in that position.

Mine is still the original three tone sunburst... holding it's own for it's age.

I love my Squier JV '62 Strat (shown on the right), I will never part with it!

strat.jpg

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  18. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Because its a strat. It does what it does better than anything before or since.

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I hadn't realised that US versions weren't the same as ours. Your's looks fantastic; I wish I hadn't striped mine down to re-spray it back in the late 1980s. At the time it had a few scuffs on it and I wanted it to look 'perfect'. Shame is that judging by how the neck has aged, the body would look 'perfect' now, with 37 years of playing on it. :oops:

I quite fancy a '62 Strat of some description, but I always seem to struggle playing any other apart from mine...not a problem with Teles, or my other guitars though; just a hard habit to break I guess. :)

codamedia likes this.
  20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Not only did I harvest most of the wood in it and the Fender CS69 pickups , But mostly because it's a Hardtail . Don't need no stinking wiggle stick .

Dan German likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.