Why do you like your strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sothoth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I just have a great balance going ( I think of the whole thing as being a big ' loop' involving the strings/ bridge/ springs)

I guess my bridge ( rear) is less than 1/4" above the body ( yes, other strings will go a little flat then, when bending on ' pedal steel' licks or hard blues bends)

But things feel so good there and I get great up/down pitch/motion when using bar, and if I don't go crazy, the guitar stays in tune.
    Plus I change strings every 2-3 gigs which I think helps. ( guitar was setup with D' Addario 10's, so I stick with these, always)

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Same here. While I use the vibrato, I never install the bar itself. I do everything with my palm (up) or my fingers. (Down) Since the bar is never there, most folks assume I don't use it.

3. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

When I started work in 1970 (you know back when we hunted mammoths) new Fenders/Gibsons were quite beyond the reach of mortals but there were well gigged ex pro guitars about that you could afford, which were not "vintage" then - just old, tired and used. The 50s/60's Strats I played were not precious just pretty worn and the finish was generally just --thin paint! So, my Roadworn from the first series about 10 years ago has a connection because it's just like my first "name" guitars. "Lilly" is a tough old bird - big V neck and thin black paint on bare wood; overwound pickups and plays beautifully and I don't have to worry about scratches. One I'll never sell.

Roadworn Black Strat.jpg

4. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I played a Tele 99% exclusively for thirty years -- I came out of punk and Strats always seemed to me like "dude guitars," made for wankery and showboating. It wasn't till this time last year that I actually PLAYED one, and as soon as I did I became obsessed!

So comfortable and nuanced, easy to play, versatile, with a huge range of tones that are all easily adjusted with the knobs. Positions 2 and 4. The neck pickup!!! I even love the middle pickup on a Strat on its own.

I searched around and finally found a 1999 Am Std that as soon as I picked it up and strummed an open E chord, I had the biggest grin you ever saw. Took it home and played it exclusively for the next year or so. Then a few months ago I pulled my old Tele out and man, it's like home to me! It's raunchy and biting where the Strat is cool and subtle.

Long story short, I'm glad I have both. They're similar enough that it's easy to switch between them, but different enough that you really need both. In my mind the Strat is like a Corvette, the Tele is like an old Chevy pickup. They're both awesome in their own ways.

20190520_161519.jpg

5. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

First “Fender” I owned was a parts built Strat. Mostly on the recommendation of a guitar instructor. Liked the comfort, and the variety of sounds. But I liked the term as well. Still do.

That old Strat has been through several changes, and is my “I can take this anywhere with me” guitar for two decades. It is the guitar most likely to see alternative pickups in it. What’s not to like?

It was later I got into Teles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

8. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I like my Strat because it makes the Tele obsolete.
    It does the twang thing, intonates better, and has vibrato.
    The Jazzmaster and Jaguar have too many shortcomings and neither of them make a sound you can't duplicate with a Strat.

It is the quintessential Fender guitar.

I've gigged exclusively with Jaguars, Jazzmaster, and Telecasters too.

mooncaine and pondcaster like this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a believer in the "Tele can do it all" talk. A good guitarist can create any kind of music on a Tele, Strat, or LP (and other mainstream, versatile guitar). And no, a Tele doesn't sound like a Strat, and neither sounds like a Les Paul. If we rationed guitars, and could only have one, any decent musician could build a creative career using either any one one of them. After that, it's preference -- if you even have a preference. Clapton played a LP until he played an SG until he played a 335, Firebird, Strat, Tele... It's just not that important if you're a musician. You play the guitar, it doesn't play you.

8trackmind likes this.
  10. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

It’s my dream Strat. Check out my thread:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-dream-guitar.971263/

11. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well I've pretty much always had a Strat or two. Used them often over the years. But, the question here being, why do I like my strat is pretty simple for me to answer with - "Because it sounds just like a Strat"! and I like that sound sometimes :)

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

jannodude likes this.
  13. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

You’re welcome! :)

Hari Seldon likes this.
  14. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I have two Stratocasters and they are the bookends of strat versatility. The 59 is a hardtail and it is quite similar to Dick Dale's hardtail of the same period(*).

When I was actively gigging once upon a time and really dialed in I had the 71 and I could swear it approached some sort of Hendrix tone (but not at all my playing!).

When I met Dick Dale before Pulp Fiction came out and he was very accessible I asked him about Jaguars and Jazzmasters. His response: "Toy guitars". I have to kind of admit over the years when I owned a 59 Jazzmaster and a mid 60s Jaguar I gigged them and sold them immediately. They seemed weak to me. Whereas I literally can play any genre with some authenticity on a Strat. Very much a YMMV thing.

I don't take the strats out these days because I've stopped gigging for now and because it's just a bit of a risk to take something like a custom color 4 bolt model like my 71 to a crappy run of the mill gig at my level. My 76 Tele or 75 Tele Custom are the gigging guitars and pose a lot less risk being out of the house.

(*) It's somewhat new to me to read about people locking down their strat tremolo systems--I hadn't seen that before I started coming to this site. I was always told my hardtail's nickname was "hard sell". Given that a lot of people dislike the tremolo, one would think an old hardtail strat would have a reasonably solid market.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Strats are comfortable, versatile, and pretty much easy to deal with all the way around. If you don't like the whammy bar you can get a hardtail.

While Strats and Teles are similar they aren't interchangeable. Strats are kind of like a Swiss Army Knife, Teles are more direct and to the point.

swany, 8trackmind and jannodude like this.
  16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I have now only one Strat and it's a 2005 modded Squier - way enough : no more US, etc...

[​IMG]

I'm waiting for Telecaster : a Squier CV50 (see avatar) - way enough too.

-tbln

jannodude likes this.
  17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

There's just something about quack that I've never been able to get with. I own three. Two single coils and this one that rings my bell every time.

[​IMG]

RiversQC likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Uhhh, all 3 of these guitars were designed and built in the 50's.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The Strat is the most versatile guitar and the best modding platform there is. The ergonomics of the Strat make it the most comfortable guitar to play sitting or standing.

swany, jannodude and 8trackmind like this.
  20. Malc

Malc NEW MEMBER!

Although I use a Tele 80% of the time, 10% is Strat for the waggle stick and in between sounds. The other 10% is split ( studio/home use only) between a 335 for humbuckers and an SG for P90s. I’ve had my Strat since 73 ( it’s a modded 57, modded before I got it with a 5 way switch, and finished stripped to natural with waxed finish ) it’s a wonderful guitar, but live I just love using a Tele

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.