Why do you like your strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sothoth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

If you want to find a Strat that you can love, don’t shop with your eyes.
    I had a nice looking Strat that didn’t work for me at all, bought when I was young and experimenting. I ditched it and went back to the Tele.
    Years later I wanted to try a Strat again, and played a lot until I found one that reminded me of the best Strats that I had played.

I love the neck pickup sounds. I like the comfortable contours, I like the 2 point Trem, I like the 9.5 radius. I like neck access and the way it plays when I’m seated.

jannodude and Greggorios like this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have two Strats and they are extraordinarily different guitars. I have an American Standard to which I added a switch for the neck and bridge. I also switched to Vintage Noiseless pickups. This one’s a little darker than your typical Strat but it has its own unique sound pallet. I also have a CS ‘69 Strat. This one is brighter. I also spend most of my time using the middle pickup. The hum from the low wind pickups isn’t bothersome. I also really like the reverse angle bridge pickup that eliminates ice pick. It’s my favorite with the only down side being that it’s expensive. I don’t miss the neck and bridge combination because I can use the middle pickup on the amp channel I have set up for jazz and get the desired tone.

There are also HH and SSH Strats so the possibilities are endless.

If you’re thinking a Strat is missing from your collection, take the time to explore all the possibilities before deciding on a particular model. I like both of my Strats and wouldn’t part with either. It’s the only type I have two of.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like my Strat for lots of reasons. I've owned it the longest of any guitar, since about '96. It's part of the first batch of MIMs with a serial number in the 6000s. It's not exactly collector grade or anything, but it's still pretty cool. The guitar has always looked and played fine, but the components Fender used back then were far, far worse than what they put in maybe even the cheapest Fenders today. So, the guitar and my desire to play electric languished for about 10 or 15 years until 3 or 4 years ago when a coworker insisted on gutting the guitar and installing quality components. The pot metal anchor block got replaced with American made rolled steel. It got new saddles, upgraded wiring, new pots, selector switch, new tuners, and Fender Custom Shop pickups. Everything in the guitar is made in the USA. And as it turns out, because it's an early MIM, the body and neck are American made as well. Most importantly the guitar still plays great. With all the new components it comes alive in your hands. To me, it's an irreplaceable player grade Strat. I will never part with the guitar. I have an American made Tele, but I can't justify buying a US Strat because I've got my overhauled MIM. Thanks to that Strat I've gotten back into playing electric, which I play far more than acoustic now.

As sweet as the guitar is, after playing it and a lot of other electrics for a few years, I am ready to swap out the pickups. The neck pickup is sweet, the middle is fine, the bridge is weak and tinny to my ears. Because they're so easy to swap I'm looking forward to experimenting.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I LOVE my Strat and feel like I can play whatever I want, any style ( well, that I'm able to...) with one. What you can do with a Strat with those 5 PU selections with a clean and dirty amp is awesome.

I do ( just me) feel a Strat is ' incomplete' without using the whammy bar- the floating bridge imparts a natural vibrato to the tone ( even when bar is not being used) and the ability to manipulate pitch, up or down with the bar ( I don't go crazy with the bar so things stay in tune) is a great asset.

I know many Strat lovers don't care for whammy/have bridge blocked, but I love it!
    A wonderful guitar, perfect in 1954!
    ( just saying this as I'm a sucker for 2 Tone- sunburst w/ maple board)

6. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It sounds and feels very nice. It's comfortable in any position.
    For those out there who are unable to understand that, perhaps this will help...

It's RARE and PLAYS LIKE BUTTAH.

gregulator450 likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love hardtails!
    My friends Scott and Rick have hardtail 70s Strats.
    Rick’s is like yours with black pickguard, and Scott’s is a Sienna Sunbust.
    Cool guitars!

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Each one has a different feel, sounds and attitude.

st.jpg

JL_LI and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I had never even played a Strat. Had two Tele's. Went to the local music shop one-day just killing time and saw this mim IMG_20190911_101335072.jpg standard burst. Thought what the heck sat down to play it, and was absolutely stunned at how easy and smooth it played. It didn't seem to fight back like my Tele's. Long story short , I traded my least favorite Tele for it. Now I have a a Stratt and a Tele that love both.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It makes me play all Stratty.
    When I want that Stratty thing, only a strat will do

swany likes this.
  11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tonal variety

8trackmind likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

about every 10th day,,,i pull the strat out & go into jtm45 & dime it & ride the guitars knobs. For a few hours of ..fun..raw rock.

I use it for 2 & 4 in recording when needed

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What do I like about my Strat?

• It's pink
    • It's superbly comfortable
    • It's PINK!!!
    • It balances very well
    • The neck feels right
    • PINK PINK PINK
    • It has but a single pickup
    • PiNk pInK

Fiesta Red and 8trackmind like this.
  14. Unison Bend

Unison Bend TDPRI Member

The fret board reach is shorter on Strats and stock neck pickups on a strat have better dynamic range than stock Tele neck PU’s.

15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've had a lot of strats over the years. My first was a real '56 that I gave $100 for in 1969. My current strat is a Warmoth hardtail with a fat profile neck topped with a noble slab of rosewood and jumbo frets. For me, it's an absolutely great player. Pickups are CS 54's for the neck and middle and an EJ approved Dimarzio HS-2, wired as a single coil, in the bridge position. Other mods include a Rutters Burrito bridge with three compensated brass saddles.

Although I'm very comfortable with strats in general, I particularly like this one. It's "more me" than my other guitars.

16. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

I used to block my trem with a wooden block or so. Then it came to me that this is not necessary.
    I set it flat on the body with the springs just a little stronger than the string pull.
    This way i have the full spring cavity resonance, full body contact for stability and sustain, and a useful vibrato.

Ivorytooth likes this.
  17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I agree totally. I did blocked or decked for years not realizing that I just didn't know how to set it up correctly.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A) Dont like Tremelo? Block it or get a hardtail. However I suspect having it is part of the Strat sustain and resonance, so block it. (Personally I think the tremelo on guitars is a 19th century mechanical device that should have been replaced with an electronic tremelo decades ago.)
    B) Body Generic? Just the opposite really. Leo came up with that body shape and there was nothing like it. (There are now hundreds of copies of course and I suppose you could call those generic.) Frankly, I dislike the shape though. To me it's gaudy, there is no good reason for the upper bout to look like the lower bout. Ditto for the ES335 style. Both fit in the vein of Iron Cross or Goth guitar shapes to my eyes.
    C) What is good about a Strat? is:
    - the Volume and tone knob locations. Ergonomic.
    - The comfort; forearm and tummy cut.
    - 3 pickups. Guitars with 2 pickups do not sound the same with both pickups together as a Strat on the center pickup. The act of combining two pickups makes them sound much different. Strats have both options, both directions.
    D) the headstock doesn't break off like many competitors.

jannodude likes this.
  19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

My first electric guitar was an 87 MIJ 50's Strat. At the time I loved it. After I joined a band it was soon obvious it wasn't the right guitar for what I was playing. I became a Gibson guy through & through but I kept my first Strat for about 15 years after I stopped caring about Strats.

Eventually I convinced myself since I don't like Strats it was dumb to keep that one around & traded it. So for about 10 years I didn't have one & didn't care. Then someone offered a 90's MIM Standard in trade & before I flipped it, I played it. I forgot how dynamic and expressive they can be (under the right circumstances). I decided if someone were only to have one guitar it should not be a Strat, but anyone with a "Guitar-sonal" should have a Strat in it. That started an intense search for "The One" for me. In the past 2 years I've have over 10, currently widdled down to 6. I really doubt I'll get to 1. As far as Fender goes I still consider myself a Tele guy.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

If I get to one, it'll possibly be this one.

image.jpeg

HWY 1 neck, 50's Classic Player body. I think once I put the Gold Lace Sensors with a Mid boost it'll pretty much whatever I want a Strat to do.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    NewKid likes this.
  20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Why do I love my Strat?

- Playing comfort. No other guitar shape tucks into your body so well.
    - Versatile. You can dial in pretty much any tone you're after.
    - The bridge. Later variants might offer better stability and finer adjustment, but the original design has yet to be seriously improved upon. It's part of the guitar's sound.
    - Easy to work on. There's a ton of them around, parts are cheap, and they’re easy to get. It's like the Chevy Nova of guitars.
    - Durable. A Strat can take more than it's share of abuse and mishandling and not even flinch. It's a tool for a working musician.
    - Iconic. Ask anyone to draw a picture of an electric guitar. They'll most likely draw something that resembles a Strat.
    - Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Rory Gallagher, Jeff Beck, etc.

I have a bunch of guitars, and I love them all, but if I had to take only one on the road with me it'll be my Strat every time.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    swany likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.