Why do you like your strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sothoth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I take two guitars to a gig -- this partscaster and one other, which could be either a Tele, a Hamer or a Gretsch hollow body. But this S-type is the go-to for playing live -- it doesn't weigh much, the two Filtertron-like pickups (not Gretsch) are very versatile, it has a great Warmoth neck that I could play all night even with my mild arthritis 20170220_150254.jpg and the whole shebang didn't really cost all that much. And putting it back to being a 'normal' three-pickup Strat takes about 15 minutes to replace the original loaded pickguard.

NicDo, Zepfan, Greggorios and 6 others like this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I like my Tele, I love my Strats.

tgroup.png

stnmtthw, jannodude, Slap Axe and 5 others like this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Versatile, easily modded and a bunch of strat specific tones you can’t get from a tele or a lester.

My tele has a piano like solidness. The strat is stringier and slinkier and nails the thinner, funky stuff, but with a bit of boost, it is violin like for leads.

Modern strat bodies are routed for all manner of pickup combos and it is a minute’s job to change. You don't even need to remove the strings.

i blocked the vibrato on mine but you can tighten it or get a tremsetter device if you do a lot of complex bends.

Downsides are the pickup selector and volume control can get knocked if you don't adjust playing style if swapping mid set and forget. Similar issue with the tele, I flip the control plate.

if you have to play a lot of styles, its a must have and a good modding platform.

02EEE5D5-D5C4-4ACE-9AB4-F38F941A54C2.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    JL_LI, 8trackmind, willc68 and 2 others like this.
  4. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I would give the nod to a Tele sounding more “raw and visceral” while the Strat has an “airy” tone when compared. Both Strats and Teles are very comfortable to play. I enjoy both quite a bit! Tele’s feel more robust but there is something delicate and intricate about a Strat that entices me. Here’s a picture of my Strat:
    8C31DCF4-F33C-438D-9AAF-B9990B7E1CA4.jpeg

5. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

i like mine because i built most of them

13c5a084-b84d-4385-92a4-8eab21ef6088.jpg 76ec7e96-0347-48d1-ab56-bc28284f246c.jpg bc5efc02-771e-48b7-9a5c-511f765a2959.jpg b1cdf843-57ba-4ba9-b4e6-5caa02f91d91.jpg

the one is didn't i modded the bejesus out of

efe1535f-68cc-4d9e-b2be-294fbe1518ef.jpg

but is still prefer teles and les pauls

6. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

I've owned dozens of strats from Squiers to American Deluxe. Only 1 remains, my 1991 Fender MIJ Strat that I paid $125 for. I'm actually more of a tele player but this strat feels and plays incredibly well. I decked the trem, changed it to HSS configuration (very easy on a strat) with a Duncan Distortion and a pair of Fender Custom Shop '57/62 pickups. Rewired to master volume, master tone and a blend pot. This baby sings!

110908 003.jpg

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love my 2008 EJ Strat!
    It plays beautifully, stays in tune really well, and is comfortable to play standing or sitting.
    I replaced the stock pickups with noiseless Kinman Woodstocks.
    It has a custom pickguard with only a master volume/push-pull switch.
    The knob/pot is moved to the second position (where the neck tone pot would normally be) so I don’t inadvertently hit it while playing.
    I have put a white “cupcake” knob and white round Tele switch tip on it.
    The switch allows me to get all three pickups and the outside two.
    I have all 5 springs on the tremelo, so it’s set up for down only use, like a Bigsby.
    After years of not having a Strat, I’ve finally found a keeper!

8. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I don't play my Strat much anymore. Mostly because it's a very heavy '79 which I purchased new. Its a hardtail too, so no trem issues, but adds to the weight.
    But I won't sell it! It was my first 'real' guitar and got played a lot when I was in a gigging band. It was always my 'go to' guitar due to its reliability and ease of playing, if I was feeling particularly nervous. I knew where everything was and could find the controls without looking for them.
    I still love the neck on that Strat.
    Nowadays I mostly play my home-built Tele Thinline.

IMG_4405.jpg

9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon TDPRI Member

Are you sure that's a Fender? The body doesn't look right to me, but I couldn't tell why exactly. Maybe it's only a matter of the angle of the foto. But there are strats and teles with peculiar shaped bodies.

10. Suho

Suho Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've always found Strats are a little easier to bend, I think largely due to the trem bridge. That cutout for the springs also adds a little "airiness" to the sound, imo. Also, While the Strat has the two in - between settings, it is the neck pickup that is unique to strats. I've never found a Tele neck pickup that could properly get that Strat sound. Hardtail strats sound closer to Teles, I think. More punch and spank. Love 'em both!

jannodude, Greggorios and Hari Seldon like this.
  11. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Why do I like my strat..?

First of all I like that daphne blue color and maple neck. I like it that it is a "mim", so I don't have thounsands invested in it. I also like it because it has a "soft V-neck" (50's classic).

But most of all I like it because when I took it apart and saw the stamp under the pickguard - it was stamped just one day before I had my 40th birthday - so, I instantly felt as it was made just for me and my birthday... :D

MrGibbly, swany and jannodude like this.
  12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Plenty of good stuff posted already, all I have to add is that my fleet of strats are set up to float and are completely stable.
    I went down the whole blocking, decking wormhole a couple decades back. With all respect to Mr. Clapton, I'm a non beleiver and feel Leo got it right.

Now, for my obligitory strat photo:
    [​IMG]

Strat at work
    [​IMG]

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

This is my Stratocaster:

Those pics should be enough to explain why I like my Strat, but...

It’s comfortable and balanced, and with a few modifications (Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe SP90 pickups, 5-way switch, push-pull pot to turn on the bridge pickup, blocked tremolo, plus some cosmetic mods), big Vaughan Brothers tone, sweet vintage neck...

I prefer the sound and feel of my Telecaster (I would liken the feel of my Tele to a sturdy pair of boots to the comfort of my Strat’s “athletic shoe” feel), but this particular instrument was the reason I was a Strat-man for the first 15 or so years of my playing “career.”

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

It's pink..

15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I like my Strat because I got a great deal on a mint Player Series model. It’s a nice change of pace from my Teles, which is the same reason I have a Jazzmaster as well.

I play it about once a month and use 10s on it as opposed to the 11s I have on everything else. I also decked the bridge with 5 springs and put locking tuners on it.

I like the neck and neck and middle positions best. I finally get what the quack sounds like and it’s cool.

I love the shape of the body and my Player Strat is Sonic Red with a reddish Pau Ferro fretboard that compliments the body so beautifully that it makes it seem like a custom shop guitar.

I’m not ruling out that this particular guitar could eventually be my number one. I feel like it’s just waiting for me to figure it out.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Nah, either one of them can be sweet or nasty, that’s up to the player. They just somehow sound really different, even as there’s a similarity to their sound. Very few Strats can get close to that ballsy tele bridge pickup sound, although with a tone control wired into the bridge pickup, it becomes a very useful sound anyway. And no tele can really get you that funky in-between sound the Strat’s 2 & 4 positions can get you and there’s nothing like a strat neck pickup. Some people don’t like those “quack” sounds, but to me, they’re what an electric guitar is supposed to sound like. I was shoving toothpicks in an old three way switch to hold those positions 40 years ago before I ever got a five way switch.

I bonded with Strats IMMEDIATELY. It took me almost 40 years to find a tele that could survive hanging on a wall next to a strat and still getting played. I have one I love now, but I still reach for the strat at east 2/3 of the time...

-Ray

jannodude and Greggorios like this.
  17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Positions 2 and 4. Carry on.

18. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I have a pre-CBS ('61) Strat. It does a lot that I like. With heavy bottom/skinny top strings, that SRV tone, there's nothing better. And with its natural action and neck, I can dig into those bottom strings, and really every string - hit it as hard or light as you like. And the neck profile is comfortable really for anyone to play, I have big hands, and I'm not even running for president. The biggest struggle is the bridge pickup; I'm usually trying to find ways to make it sound OK, it never really sounds great, but then again, that's why I have two Teles.

AlbertaGriff and Greggorios like this.
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I have a strat because of the position 2 sounds.

Mark Knopfler on the early Dire Straits stuff like Sultans of swing.

Other than that I prefer my tele.

Crafty Fox and Greggorios like this.
  20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Quack; positions 2 & 4. No other guitar has it. Also, IMO the Strat has the best functional tremolo out there that can be used and the guitar stays in tune.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.