Why do you like your strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sothoth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I’m not a fan because I dislike tremolos and think body shape is overly generic and found that what I like about Fender could be found in the telecaster so why bother.

I like the Jazzmaster better than the Strat as far as non-Tele Fenders go. Mostly because I like the slightly beefier pickups. Still don’t like the trem on the JM but for some reason it’s easier to ignore on the JM. Maybe because it sits further back? Either way the arm is removed and it’s never used for it’s intended purpose.

I’d love to hear from Strat fans what you love.

I’m asking because I feel like I have two guitars missing from my collection, a Strat and a nylon string acoustic, and I’m trying to decide if either is worth getting or if I’m just trying to fill a hole for the sake of filling it.

Thanks in advance.

And just so you know I feel sort of like my post is an admission of wrongdoing because I don’t know I just don’t like strats.

If I got one it would be a relic’d black with either a mint or parchment PG that’s also relic’d and would either make it myself from parts or consider a Nash or something else that isn’t too shiny and clean. I like mine a little dirty.

swany likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I don’t think any body shape is more generic than a tele or Les Paul they are basically a century old design with a cutaway
    Now the strat that’s an original space age shape man

xland, NicDo, nixpix and 12 others like this.
  3. sothoth

Sorry I meant to post this in a different section, I supposed it will be moved if the forum gods see fit

4. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

My Tele is versatile and nasty, in contrast my Strat is versatile and sweet. Couldn't do without either.

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

A good Strat body is so comfortable and easy to hold. The tones available are very versatile. I deck the bridge so the trem part doesn't bother me one bit.

20190518_143120.jpg

6. sothoth

I know, right?

7. sothoth

How do you block it?

8. AlbertaGriff

There are two screws holding the claw that the springs latch on to. You just screw that further in to the body so the bridge doesn't lift when your strings are at tension. I do that, plus 5 springs. I can use the bar if I want, but I rarely do.

9. sothoth

At first glance (while reading on my phone in the dark) that looked like your guitar was in a pile burial casket like they have in the old Clint Eastwood movies.

10. sothoth

Don’t like the block of wood technique or I hear there’s a little gizmo for holding it steady you can buy

11. Fretting out

I have to admit when I started playing the last thing I wanted was a strat because it seemed that everyone played a strat and I thought they were lame
    Then I started getting into more fenders eventually getting a jazzmaster after I heard the twang of a jazzmaster I had to have a tele after hearing a tele I had to round it out with a strat
    I think every fender owner should experience the big four at least once telecaster, stratocaster, jazzmaster, and Jaguar
    Once I got to the strat I found out I liked it although I would prefer a hard tail there’s just something that only a strat does

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

A strat has the coolest shape ever, and the proportions make it an everlasting classic, just like the violin family.

The ergonomics are almost perfect from the start, only the neck heel can be improved a lot.

The tone of a good strat is classic and very musical and you can't get this from other constructions. It has to be bolt on neck, single coils and a classic "tremolo". A Tele has a different tone.

Nobody has to like a strat, but it's one of the benchmarks of electric guitars.

Dan R, Mike F, mrmousey and 6 others like this.
  13. sothoth

This might also summarize you people preferences, too?

stnmtthw and gregulator450 like this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

it took a long time to bond with my strat ( about 15 years), part was the crappy QC from the factory , the other was the crap sound of the factory pickups , I spent 15 years chasing the tone I wanted ,I built 6 pick guards that have custom wiring and pick up combination that I like. giving me access to all 3 pickups at once , now both my strats are fine instruments to play, my big issue with fender now is you cannot find a string through strat body in southpaw , any where

Chunkocaster and Greggorios like this.
  15. AlbertaGriff

Well then you don't have the option. My current solution is "good enough".

16. sothoth

Indeed it’s an icon. But for me I’m wondering what tonal space I am getting that isn’t covered by a tele or JM. I think I know the answer to that perfectly well but it’s fun asking and being open to hearing something new anyway

17. sothoth

The only one I owned was also crap so I get rid of it. It’s been a while and I have to assume I had a lemon but that good ones exist. I would probably pick my own pups and do the wiring myself. Mine had what I can only assume as poor QC as well... the neck at a funky angle on the body so the E and e strings were either too far from the edge of the neck or would too easily roll off the neck (can’t remember which was which) and a couple of the holes for the PG were at a funny angle so the screw heads sat at an angle and bugged me so I just removed them. The sound was ok. The pickups were pretty thin sounding compared to other guitars but if I tweaked my amp considerably I could find a happy spot for them.

18. Fretting out

For a literal tonal answer you are missing five positions of sounds as a jazzmaster and tele only have three
    Jazzmaster has a fourth but mostly useless tone if you count the jazz position

So that’s two whole new worlds of tonal possibilities albeit I only use the three main positions myself

simond likes this.
  19. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Did not know that strats had tremoloes? ;) A vibrato for the pitch I see ....anyways I love strats, and I love teles....both work well when they are in good working order, Jazzmasters I don't like to play.....just not my taste, but I like the sounds....

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like that my strat sounds more like a tele/ les paul in the bridge since installing a jb jnr, blocking the trem and installing a big brass block. I like it more now than I did before I made those changes. It's pretty versatile and has retained the sound of the strat neck pickup but can scream and thicken up in the bridge position if needed. It's comfortable weight at 5.8 pounds is pretty cool too.

20191216_193515.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    NicDo, kookaburra, mkdaws32 and 10 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.