Why do used pickup trucks cost so dang much?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Mar 14, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

My 1996 F-150... 240k miles. 2WD. Standard cab. Blue book was around $1500. My father in law said “list it at $3000. So I put it on Craigslist at $3000. Someone called within an hour and offered $2000. I told them to come look at it. We settled at $2500... again, blue book of $1500... sold the same day I listed it.

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

We have a used Lexus SUV that pulls the boat just fine. When we use it camping it's a pain because in order to get to our gear in the back we have to tilt the bike trailer hitch down and kind of half wedge ourselves into the rear door.
    Plus my wife is enamored of the idea of being able to throw wet, sandy stuff like surfboards into the bed rather than having it get into the passenger spaces. However, with the Lexus SUV fully paid for and still working fine I find
    it hard to drop that kind of cash-- $40k-- just for a little more convenience. Financing is not the issue-- pay now or pay later-- it's still $40k that could have gone into my kid's education or my retirement.

I think the Lexus SUV GX470 will just have to do for awhile....if it goes belly up then maybe I look for a pickup truck. If we didn't have to regularly be able to
    tow about 3,500 pounds of boat and trailer I would happily get a wagon or minivan instead. Here's a stock photo that looks like ours-- it's worth about $7k or $8k, but gets the job done. Bought it used about 4 years ago for $18k.

[​IMG]

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

how much do you want to spend? Let me know, you aren't that far from me and I LOVE shopping for stuff like that...

My advice, since this isn't a daily driver is to look through craigslist for something preferably on a salvage title that we can carfax and find it was stolen. I bought my 2006 F150 FX4 for 5K a couple of years ago. I've put 50K miles on it and probably 2500 in fixing it up... it is a great truck and CHEAP for what is out there.. the key was that it had been stolen and left... the insurance paid off the owner and I bought it for a song because of the salvage title. I used to be scared of salvage titles, but my buddy (the detective) said, 'just do your research and find one that you can get cheap and improve to the level you want.'

I'm starting to look at restoring another old truck (I've done 4 over the years) and so I spend a good bit of time looking for them... you are close to some areas where you can get a good deal.

Harry Styron likes this.
  4. chris m.

Thanks for the offer, getbent, I might have to take you up on that. Are there any issues with insuring a salvage title vehicle? I imagine that maybe you can only get
    liability and not collision insurance, possibly, but that otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. I also think from my neighbor's experience that a vehicle has to pass a fairly rigorous inspection
    before it can be registered to drive on the road if it's a salvage vehicle.

5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Because they're indestructible.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    DrJay73 and Deathray like this.
  6. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I have 2014 4 door F150. Towing capacity for that year is 8,000 - 11,300 lbs.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've been looking at used trucks as well. My 2003 Ford Ranger 2.3 4cylinder truck now has 280k miles on it. The motor is in need of a overhaul, the computer controlled tranny needs it's 4th rebuild, the steering components are worn out and the front end is totally worn out.
    I can buy a newer used truck with unknown problems to fix or rebuild the truck I have for about the same price. If I rebuild my truck the insurance will be cheaper.
    My truck will get a bigger motor because the best MPG I got with the 4 was 19MPG and completely lacks towing or good load hauling power. If it has a manual tranny - things would be different. So it will need a good V6 and a better tranny. Unfortunately, it still has a small cab. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not.

8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

"Why do used pickup trucks cost so dang much?"
    Good Grief man!
    Can you imagine how much wire and how many windings it takes to make a pickup truck?
    That's not even asking whether or not it should be a single-coil pickup truck or a humbucking pickup truck.
    Then there's the covers...

Deathray likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Buying a Demo truck or a last year model can be a great deal. It's always better to buy in the summer(after income tax refunds have been spent) or at the "Year End Sales" for a better deal.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. chris m.

Zepfan, I like how you think. Always good to also remember the sunk costs fallacy. You can never get back the money you put in, so the best way to think
    about any purchase decision is based on that decision today. So in your case, let's say it costs you $2,000 to rebuild your current truck. You then ask yourself,
    could I get a truck of this vintage with these features, current state of repair, and a rebuilt drive train for $2,000 any other way? If the answer is no, then it totally makes sense for you
    to invest $2,000 into fixing your truck today. Whether you spent $1,000, $10,000, or $100,000 on the truck in the past doesn't figure into it-- those are all sunk
    costs at this point. The other factor worth considering is certainty-- with your truck you know exactly what you are getting into. That risk assessment counts for
    something, too....although even with your own vehicle there can still be unexpected surprises.

Zepfan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm selling my 2010 Dodge Ram quad cab SLT w 4wd for 11k if you want it.

12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm kind of surprised that you think it's expensive?

I would think everything is expensive in Santa Barbara, California.

13. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I wasn't sure of your numbers on the F150 so I did a quick look and you are right. I drive a GMC Sierra 1500 and it's capacity is just shy of 10,000lbs. Funny I never would have guess that in the F150.

14. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

That's because it's wrong. As I posted above, for the 2014 year at least, towing capacity starts at 8,000.

grolan1 likes this.
  15. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

I bought mine used with a few body issues (small dings) with 75,000 on the speedometer. That was a couple of years ago and it was 4 years old. I hunted and hunted for one that wasn't so crazy priced and found this one that was load and the All Terrian model for $21,000, which was much cheaper but still more than it should have been.

16. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

For 2019, from Ford's website:

BEST-IN-CLASS TOWING
    The F-150 can tow more than any other pickup in its class, gas or diesel.* The available second-generation 3.5L EcoBoost® twin-turbo V6, at 375 horsepower and top-rated* 470 lb.-ft. of torque, has the best-in-class** conventional tow rating of 13,200 lbs. And the 3.0L Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel, rated at 250 horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque, is also best in class in towing at 11,400 lbs.**

17. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Didn't notice your post - Ford fan eh?

18. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Owner, so I knew the numbers were wrong.

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

20. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Yeah, and those numbers are for the 2 door 2wd short bed with the weakest engine and worst ratios possible. Even then it's wrong if you go to the Ford website. Look up a 4 door 4wd like the original poster mentioned and towing capacity goes way up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.