1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do used American Standards and new Professional IIs cost the same?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Mar 26, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Why are used American Standard Teles from 1998-2015 selling for the same Price is a brand new Professional II?

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

That way it just makes the decision easier to buy new.

bsman and sax4blues like this.
  3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

This is a really good conversation. I had been helping a friend who is looking for a first electric guitar. I recommended the American Standard Tele because they are a good value, solid, dependable, and easily customized if necessary. Although they are not quite the same price as a brand new Professional II yet, the gap is closing up tighter all the time. I know the used guitar market has spiked in the last year or so, but I can't believe what used American Standards are going for. It's kind of shocking. Keep in mind, there is a difference in what they're asking for them and what they're actually selling for, but wow.

5. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

My last three guitar purchases have been new because they were less expensive than any used ones I could find. Some of them were $400-$600 less than the price on their tag in the store. Authorized sellers have incentives to move product an will often make a deal.

sax4blues likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

They’re not, are they? New Am Pro II are $1500. I’ve actually been searching out used Am Std lately as I’m on the prowl for a couple very specific examples. They’re no longer $400-$600 like they were ten or fifteen years ago, but I haven’t seen one over $1100. The majority of them seem to be in the $750-$1k range.

Edit: Are you seeing this on reverb? Cause I don’t even look there anymore. Those people are nuts.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    black_doug and 985plowboy like this.
  7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Like car dealers, many guitar dealers borrow money to buy their inventory (it's called a "floor plan" in some industries) and have so much time often like 90 days before they have to either pay back the loan or start paying interest. It may be that Fender, for instance, doesn't require payment for 60 or 90 days so profit is higher until the due date arrives. So the longer inventory items remain unsold, the more incentive there is to sell the items . It's near impossible for the customer to determine which inventory items are "ageing".

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I love used guitars.
    Of the 25 or so I’ve owned over the years at least 20 were purchased used.
    I try and keep up with what the “used guitar market” is doing.
    Lately I’ve quit looking. Things are out of hand.
    I repeat this often, but it bears repeating.
    When buying used, You should expect to pay roughly 60% of the current retail price (not including tax) of what any particular model of guitar costs new.
    If prices are out of line with that I pass. Right now prices are way out of line with that.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t take it quite that far. I think for 40% off I’d expect “good” condition.

I always figure I can get a 15% discount on a new guitar, from any big dealer, pretty much any day. So for really excellent/mint condition, we’re talking “just unboxed, pretty much untouched”, I wanna see 20%-25% off.

For great condition 25-30% off. Any more than that and I start expecting changed parts, fret wear, maybe some minor dents and dings. I think at 40% off I definitely expect a well played “player grade” piece.

985plowboy likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Somebody who doesn't want a traditional 3-saddle bridge might like the American Standard over some of the newer stuff.

If you want a newer one with a 6-saddle right now your choices are Player, 75th Anniversary, Deluxe Nashville, or Ultra.

3 of those are MIM I think, and one is super expensive. It might make an American Standard look good.

Then again, I like just about any option.. I wouldn't be too picky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.