Why do so many musicians wear hats when they perform?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Oldgitplayer, Jun 17, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah...that's about when the trend started...

JUST KIDDING!!!:lol:

I've got a circular bald spot on top in between the size of a beer can and an acoustic sound hole. I can't see it but can feel it after a day in the sun. I hate hats and I'd never shave my head. If it accelerates I'm just screwed...:D

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Wearing a KFC bucket as a hat would save money by not having to buy hair oil.

3. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Hats are strange things, I found a hat full of money yesterday, then I got attacked by some guy with a guitar. :(

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Regarding the OP ... Easy ...

After the gig ... take off the hat and possibly shades/glasses/fake beard etc ...

Mingle/have a drink with the crowd .... if the comments are kind .... Covertly bask in the glory .... If they're not kind, quietly slip away incognito! :rolleyes:

5. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Plus of course ....

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Or ....
    Do you prefer a cat in a hat ... :cool:

7. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Why?

I got my first hat in 7th or 8th grade. Decades later I have a couple of fedoras, three or four good caps (some for warmer, some for colder), a panama, a few other straws, and one nice straw cowboy hat (I AM from Arizona, and have 2 bolos too). In "real" life I'm usually well-dressed and often wear a hat... and often get compliments. I like to look good and that goes for on-stage too.

The only time I wear a ball cap is a on Saturday mornings in the yard or at the donut shop.

No one I play with is asked, or expected, to wear one.

8. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Well, at 57 I have half the hair and twice the weight that I had at 17. But to be honest, I always did wear a hat or a bandana or a sweatband or something. I have always had a tenancy to sweat a lot under stage lights, and having it run into my eyes and float my contacts has caused more than one anxious moment.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  9. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I will never wear a hat on stage. When i go bald, and it wont be long now, i will shave the lot off and join a ska band.

noah330 likes this.
  10. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

After 208 posts, I'm totally convinced that I don't need to wear a hat on stage.
    Thank you all for your stories about stage lights, baldness, coolness, style etc.........

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've always worn hats. When I was a kid I used to collect them - all sorts of hats from fedoras to military and uniform hats. Now I pretty much wear a fedora all the time except in the really hot weather when it will be a woven pork pie or a straw hat or panama. I just like hats. And on stage they keep the sweat and lights out of your eyes. Just my $0.05...

(Oh, and like my Mama taught me, I take it off indoors and in restaurants. Polite-like.)

Freida likes this.
  12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm pretty sure you look awesome in anything, James!:)

13. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

What bothers me even more than hats are sunglasses. A drag and you can't eye and cue fellow musicians, or follow their whims. If the hats covers the eyes too, yes, it's a drag. Sombreros; no.

14. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Hair loss

Joe Sailor likes this.
  15. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

Probably already been covered, but my guess is they either like hats, or they have an issue with the sun and/or stage lights blinding them so in an effort to keep stinging sweat and blinding light out of their eyes, they don something with a brim or bill. May also do it to prevent glair off of chrome domes. Maybe a little combination of all of the above.

16. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

I sweat enough when playing a gig and the few times I tried wearing a hat during a gig it was gone about halfway through the first set. And, as far as those pork pie hats go,my mother put one of those on my head to go with a suit she got me one Easter, I was about 5 years old. I hated that thing, so therefore I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of those,but that's just me.

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I'm not bald, and I don't like wearing hats.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I do remember the main gang in Clockwork Orange had bowlers, and there was another gang with top hats, so there has to be one with pork pie hats as well.

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Every year that goes by I get a little thinner on top. I can't imagine wearing a hat all the time. Not sure what i'll do when all my hairs gone. A hair hat maybe? Maybe a big 80's hair metal wig?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    stormsedge likes this.
  20. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

A few possible reasons:

1) A hat with a brim can keep bright stage lights out of your eyes while playing.

2) A hat with a good sweat band can help keep sweat from running down your face (again, into your eyes) while playing.

3) Baldness.

4) Style.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.