1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do sellers ask for list price on used pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

There are expensive for what they are. Main reason I started DIY was the shock of opening a Zvex SHO and seeing what's inside. I still think it's one of the best sounding boost pedals though, so I guess that's what you are paying for... not the $20 of parts it cost to make.

Alex W likes this.
  2. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Of course ther answer to your question is because you can only negotiate downward and maybe there's someone who Murray fell off the apple cart who will pay the price.

Note you the real reason I'm responding.

You mentioned you're playing a Donner Yellow Fall. I did a lot if research into cheap delays when I was building a micro pedal board. I didn't love the Yellow Fall, but it wasn't bad. The pedal I wound up with is the Donner Wave Analog. I actually like it as much as my Carbon Copy.

3. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

I think it depends on how low you define a lowball offer. On the dutch local second hand site there is a group of people that just offers below 10% asking price. It's not an insult, but even reading the offer is a waste of my time. But on the other hand I'm not adding it to my listings because I think it sets the wrong tone. That's why I also avoid those listings myself.

4. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

Because everyone wants their money back on their mistakes, considering them "investments".

Used is used, cats.

And "vintage"? Bwahahahahahah! Please, don't get me started.

5. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

If one is selling on the used market and ya don't wanna deal with chiselers try'na "negotiate", phrase thusly:

"$XX firm"

That last word states your position upfront.

Elsewise, without saying "neg.", or "flexible", that's assumed on the part of opportunistic MFs all 'round.

They'll still come at'cha. But at least then one may refer the sniveling cheapskates (& honestly, nothing wrong with wanting a deal, free market value being an abstraction until transacted, after all) to original text. With all due respect, 'course.

CV: bought & resold more pedals last ten years than my fingers got fingers, were they cartoon dudes with fingers.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Even funnier is "rare". Don't they mean "unpopular" :lol:

7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

It depends on how sought-after the pedal is and its availability. I bought a Timmy new for 129 once. Played it a while, got bored and listed it. When I listed it, the prices had shot way up. I listed it on the lower end of the spectrum-- 189. It sold the same day.

8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

You think that's something? I was looking for a copy of Rocksmith for PS4. On ebay, you've got people selling used copies for twice the price of new ones! Un-friggin-believable. And many others selling used copies for more than it costs new. Smdh.

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    Exactly, if you are the seller you can always settle for less, but you can not likely ever ask for more than what you have listed something for. You weed out the sniffers, window shoppers, dreamers and get the offers in the ballpark of where you really want to part with your gear.

10. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Because the man child spent far too much money on his toys and didn't plan for the future...

11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If their future is in jeopardy, it would take a truly epic number of pedals for selling them to be the solution.

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Free market, and all that. But it's true, a lot of used merchandise is way overpriced. And you know it's overpriced because it never sells. There are exceptions of course. But there are items that stay listed forever, and never sell. I don't know what those sellers are thinking - just waiting for a sucker to come along? Buying used takes patience. Sometimes you just need to wait until a fairly-priced item pops up. Otherwise, just offer market value whatever the asking price. If that doesn't work, there is always guitar center used. Their prices are usually pretty good, and you can search their entire nationwide inventory, so they have a good selection. I have bought used stuff from them, it's fine, and you can return it for a refund if you don't like it.

13. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

There are many many ways to price a Pedal.

There's the "My Boyfriend Cheated on me price".

"I need Bail Money Price".

"I don't know what the hell this thing is" price.

There's the "Estate sale price". Estate sale "third and final day" price.

The Curt Cobain "looked" at this pedal in a pawnshop window once price.

An "asking" price.

A "Make and offer" price.

The "I really don't care if I ever sell it" price.

The "Pawnshop" offer price = "X" and then the "Pawnshop asking" price = Four Times "X".

Reverb price, retail price, Craigs/List and so on.

and don't forget the PayPal "Scammer" price.

I have some of each.

Lost_N_Austin

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  14. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Funny how quickly the husband is defended yet the image of a nagging wife is celebrated. Oh TDPRI...

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Marketing will eat up what little profit you might squeeze out.

MF/GC will always give 15-20% discount on new gear. Unless a used pedal is FAR below list, I won't even consider making an offer on a used pedal on CL/FBM/reverb, neighbor, or back of a truck sale. No way.

But apparently enough people will. 'Cuz there are new pedal makers entering a ridiculously saturated market every day to try catch a few of them.

16. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm doing neither, but your desire to caricature is duly noted. I'm saying that if you're selling a pedal to prepare for retirement, whether on your own or at the urging of a spouse, chances are the ship has already sailed.

17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

You're asking us? You waited a year and a half for a pedal you can get a cheap clone of yesterday.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's a little secret, maybe already revealed in an earlier post?

Ebay auctions and GC pedal prices are the correct value for used pedals.

Reverb is where sellers who list fantasy pricing try to sell their used pedals.
    I've put over priced pedals in my Reverb watch list and they stayed there for years.
    Now and then I find a deal on Reverb, usually on a hard to find pedal, but invariably at auction on ebay, the same pedal sells cheaper by a good measure.
    I like Stomp Under Foot Muff variants because he designed the best mids control on the market.
    New though they run $180.
    Used on Reverb around $120- $140.
    At the same time as I nabbed an impossible to find but not popular Violet Menace for I think $129, a very popular SUF Civil War muff auctioned for around $85, with a good number of bidders indicating the market had been polled.

Many examples of this over the years, often pedals on Reverb @ $200 auction for $80 on ebay, and GC prices are often even lower than ebay auctions.

Some Reverb sellers do have a sense of the market but my finding is that they seemingly tend to choose that site because they want more money and less hassle than the market for used pedals involves.

Funny though, a TV Jones filtertron sat on Reverb at like $75 while several auctioned on ebay for a good bit more $$.
    Reverb needs to shake the rep for higher prices and less drama.

For that matter, sellers need to lower prices after a couple of weeks, it makes little sense to keep listings up when the market clearly doesn't bear the price.

radiocaster likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't actually know what you want in a delay?
    Or if and why you want or bring up boutique delay?
    I would not buy any recent production boutique analog delay because there are no more great bbd chips available.
    No boutique builders I know of use NOS bbd chips because they are virtually all gone.

I recently nabbed a two chip AD900 at auction on ebay from a seller in Japan.
    I have and used to have lots of different delay pedals including some digitals that simulate analog and/ or tape, plus had a good echoplex when I started with a RI Maxon AD80.

I consider boutique quality above boutique tiny shop freaky design, and delays seem to fall more into the freaky design popularity that incites rabid fanboys.

If you need tap tempo that's another thing, but IMO the best ADs are not being made any more.
    I suspect an awful lot of delay users never even tried a truly great AD.

IMO!

20. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

"Just dusty".... I'll have to give him an A for effort and honesty. But loses points for not adding "Mint Condition", as is tradition.

a wah.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.