Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Boom!.....move along people.

2. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Honest Charley likes this.
  3. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I saw LZ live in Baltimore in 72 (I think). They were ok. A bit sloppy and thin sounding compared to their recordings (overdubs). Pretty cool, though!

I also saw the Stones in 72 and the Who in 73... there's really no comparison, imo. The Stones were unbelievably good with Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins, Jim Price and Bobby Keys!!! ... and the Who did all of Quadrophenia and most of Tommy in Quadrophonic Sound!!!

BTW, Charlie Watts has amazing hands... and listen to his staggers, rolls and cymbal work on "Exile!" I know some pretty top shelf big time drummers, even met Russ Kunkle in Key West and chatted with him for a bit (really nice man.). All of the REALLY GOOD ones ARE METRONOMES. A great drummer is a great time keeper... it really helps the other players stay together instead of constantly chasing a moving target.

It tightens up the band.

Give me a human metronome any day over flash.

Fiesta Red and Mahalo like this.
  4. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

I also saw Zep in 72. Can't say if they were sloppy. I was 11 and completely mesmerized by the whole experience.

But I also just watched the DVD of the Stones in 75 at the Forum (a show I was also at.) Sucked beyond words. Then I looked up a 72 show with Mick Taylor. Night and day. In 72 they were like an amazing bar band. Smokin.

Ducksteino likes this.
  5. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

They ruled the 70's...slayed everyone....sorry but true...Jimmy was a beast on guitar!

6. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Nowhere near as often as it used to - certainly here in the UK. It's pretty rare to hear a teenager playing that song these days.

AC/DC, on the other hand, have stood the test of time much better by that yardstick. Kids play their riffs in guitar shops all the time. Maybe simplicity is a factor here too, but on the whole I'd say AC/DC are by far the most popular 70s rock band with kids today.

Sconnie likes this.
  7. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

I've never been curious about Elvis Costello.

tonedr and Ducksteino like this.
  8. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

Funny, Elvis C and LZ are two of the first examples I give for where my weirdly eclectic style came from, they were both all over the map.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I knew that was a contradiction when I wrote it and it is a tip of the hat to LZ. They do own the early 70s, and I am a fan, but I just don't think there music was as influential as The Who and Stones. I know it is a grey line and just throwing out my own opinion. Or just maybe I don't like the influence they made. It is an interesting thread about them. My sister's all time favorite song is by LZ, but she was born 10 years after me so they were real big when she first started listening to rock and maybe that plays a big part in how people feel about them.

10. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Well, if you call being a global jukebox for the last 35 years a career, with nary a new record in that time, then I suppose it is. AC/DC may never have been as big, but they're still going 40 years on, and can actually be bothered making new records to tour with. And you can still afford the tickets.

I see the LZ are plagiarists theme is back. Hey Ho, what fun, we haven't been here before...

Haters can say whatever they like, but despite that, and Townsend's bitterness, Zeppelin will still be remembered in the best possible way.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

They were all just Lord Sutch want to be's anyways.

I think it is like rotary vs pushbutton vs ipad......Zep got to the pushbuttons first..
    They did not have a previous image to sell or weigh them down...

..imho

12. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Because they were the best rock band on the planet from 1967 to 1981.

Nobody likes being second best.

Sconnie likes this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

if rock stars hate zep, maybe it's because, like me, they once worked for 6 years in a shop that had a radio tuned to the "classic rock" station for 8 hours a day. that was when i discovered that i can't stand robert plant's voice. and several others.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The amazing thing about Led Zeppelin, for me anyway, is that a 3 piece band got such a huge sound! Granted, the recordings have lots of tracks layered on top of each other, but their live stuff just sounds huge!!! Largely due to John Paul Jones and John Bonhams playing style and wickedly awesome cooperation. Jimmy page will always be a hero of sorts for me, but the guitar tracks always seemed to be the smaller parts of the audio space for zeppelin.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

They're still doing shows, and selling them out. That sounds like a decent music career to me.

16. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Led Zepplin: "Almost a flash in the pan". That's funny, right there:lol:

scrimmer likes this.
  17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Eric Clapton: "Wonderful Tonight"- enough said.
    Jack Bruce: RIP, but man, what a mean and crotchety thing to say.
    Ginger Baker: What have you been up to since since Cream?
    Keith Richards: Slop as style. Mick Taylor quit because he couldn't stand the out-of-tune playing in the Stones...
    Pete Townsend: I got nothing here...
    Jimi Hendrix: Probably didn't spend a whole lot of time "thinking much" about anything other than playing his guitar.
    Nick Mason: Influenced by Cream? Hmm....
    David Gilmour: "See ya, Roger. I'll just take over and sing your songs now".

I can be crotchety, too.

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just read Glyn Johns' book, I found it interesting that while he was blown away by LZ's first LP, when he took it to show Jagger and then George Harrison thinking they would be impressed, in Glyn's words they "didn't get it" and weren't. Didn't think there was anything there.

19. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Can't see the attraction. If I want to hear them play all the stuff I've been hearing for the last 40 years, I already got it. Seeing the Stones seems to be a bucket list thing for many. From what I've sen of them live, they've been phoning it in for years.

20. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

A lot of rock "stars" are simply jealous of Led Zeppelin - incredible musicians, incredible composers, layered and sophisticated lyrics, melody, and sounds.

Sconnie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.