Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Eric Clapton :"Led Zeppelin took up our legacy. But then they took it somewhere else that I didn’t really have a great deal of admiration for."

Jack Bruce: "Zeppelin has always been crap and will never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they're sold."

. . .also from a different interview "Let's face it: Jimmy Page ain't no Eric Clapton, no matter what anybody thinks. . .I mean the only decent guy, the one good guy in the band is dead. . ."

Ginger Baker (in reply to the question "Could John Bonham swing?"): "[John] Bonham couldn't swing a sack of f***ing ****."

Keith Richards: "As a band, I thought they were aptly named: They never took off, for me. At the same time, Jimmy Page was one of the best guitar players I've ever known and Bonham was a hell of a powerhouse drummer - although I think he was kind of heavy handed, myself."

Pete Townshend: See above.

Jimi Hendrix:"I don't think much of Led Zeppelin - I don't think much of them. Jimmy Page is a good guitar player."

Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) : "Led Zeppelin were less important to me than Cream. Cream were one of the reasons that I'm here now. . .Zeppelin came along a little bit later and were perhaps not quite as influential."

David Gilmour was in the midst of a conversation about utilizing additional musicians/instrumentation live when an interviewer commented, "That's something I wish Led Zeppelin would do - carry a few extra pieces." Gilmour then responds "I wish that they'd carry a few fewer, myself. . .less singers."

2. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

If you want to let those people tell you what you like and what you don't like, good for you. I let my eyes and ears decide.

Jimmy Page invented rock guitar. His guitar work on the live version of "The Song Remains The Same" is still stunning and unbelievable to me. Bonzo on drums and Plant's vocals were unmatched by anyone. I get that not everyone agrees, but Zeppelin is top of the heap for me.

blkpwdr likes this.
  3. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DUUUUUDE!!!!

4. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

My thoughts when entering a guitar store:

Attached Files:

5. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Politely disagree.
    That's like saying that Henley and Frey are the Eagles. Without the contributions of the many individuals who played in that band, they might not have been who they are today. So much of the contribution that makes up a song, performance or finished product relies on the other members and what they bring to the table. I can name literally hundreds of bands where the sum was the greater part of the whole. To say that Jimmy Page could have others do what the other band members did is true, but it likely wouldn't have come out the same. Anyway, it's good for conversation.

6. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

As for Ginger Baker, I just wish people would stop asking him about other musicians. Misanthropic blowhard. But he was probably good at raising horses in South Africa.

7. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And Zep was terribly jealous of the Stones.
    They broke their ticket sales records (and the Beatles') and out sold their records - as they did own the 1970s in the USA that is.
    Meanwhile the press was full of the Stones because they just had more interesting friends.
    Page said something like, "Truman Capote hanging with the Stones trumps anything we do."
    The press hated them.
    I worshiped them (guitar, NJ - I fit the mold).
    And I listen to and play the Stones now maybe 50 -1 over Led Zep.
    Because the guitar parts aren't that interesting to play anymore - Keef's stuff is part of the song - the bedrock. Most of Jimmy's stuff is more flash. His rhythm is mostly big heavy riffs (many written by Jonesy) vs. more organically creative open tuning stuff. Page's exotic stuff is kind of in your face - blatantly striving to sound different rather than serving a song.
    Or something.
    What I'm trying to say is I did love Led Zep but they were as subtle as a flying mallet.
    (To quote Dave Edmunds - not Memphis Minnie :D )

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

"If Morrissey says not to eat meat, then I’ll eat meat — that’s how much I hate Morrissey"
    -Robert Smith on Morrissey

"It’s like a monkey with arthritis, trying to go onstage and look young."
    -Elton John on Keith Richards

"Rock and roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world."
    -Pat Carney (Black Keys)

"Joe Frazier is so ugly that when he cries, the tears turn around and go down the back of his head"
    -Muhammad Ali

"My band is better than your band"
    -Mclusky

9. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

"The other day Ginger Baker said the nicest thing to me..."
    - nobody, ever

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I think that's what a lot of musicians dislike about Led Zeppelin and what middle school boys love about them. Great riffs and driving drums, but they lose me with the childish pseudo-poetry and mythological stuff. I do like several of their songs. Over all though, their work seems kind of childish, but not childlike--like a kid trying to be complicated and serious, not like a kid being amazed and playing around.

11. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

What an incredibly naive overgeneralization. They did not say they hated them. They said some good and some not so good things, and those not so good they owned as their own opinions, but qualified them.

These are people in the same business. They have developed capabilities and sensibilities that allow them to express themselves in terms of that business. They are well enough known themselves that they don't have to appear as syncophants, and are capable of expressing honest opinions. It's just a shame that when they do someone with less sensibilites takes the finger pointing and makes it out to be a loaded revolver.

Some other professionals personal opinions do absolutely nothing for me either way. I'm capable of developing my own opinions, and aware of my limitations in my abilities so as not to claim to be critical of something I am not capable of.

There are a lot of people who are overly enamored with LZ. There are a lot of people overly critical of LZ. Neither of them have much to do with the quality of their output. More than anything they are both seeking out others with whom they can associate and as a group associate themselves with something else they don't have the talent to associate with as musicians. One group is wanting to be seen bowing before what they hope is the tallest ivory tower. The other is wanting to be seen seeking to knock down the tallest ivory tower, because it makes the biggest crash. Success attracts both of these. Failure does not. Neither are very comfortable confronting the fact of their striking similarities. The most striking of these is discomforting mostly to only one. It never occurs to those who bow before the ivory tower to check its status. Of course it's still there. But those who seek to knock it down develop some sort of near sightedness, parade about with puffed out chests and smugly congratulate each other as though they have accomplished what they set out to do. And in fact they have -- they found others with whom they can hold a common opinion in order to justify it. As for the ivory tower -- it remains, and they are all dancing in its shadow.

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

LMFAO!!!!

:D

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah...I have respect for a good gank. Nobody likes a rat thief.

14. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Is that really fair? I think Jimmy Page is one of the great arrangers in rock. His layers of guitar parts can be ingenious. 'Ten Years Gone' is a good example of a tune with lots of musical ideas in it, beautifully arranged and produced.

grooveiron likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...jimmy crack corn...

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I'd follow that up, but I don't think there's anything more to add. Dead on.

17. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

My comment in relation to "flash in the pan" was The Who did not produce any original music for 25 years. My math is slightly off but in 1982 The Who put out It's Hard, and 24 years later in 2006 they put out Endless Wire.

LZ last album was also put out in 1982, the same as The Who.

18. MGibson

MGibson Tele-Meister

When did the world become so binary that one can only love or hate something?

Fiesta Red and BuckSatan like this.
  19. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

LOL, Page has claimed he played the parts on Beck's album...

Led Zeppelin stole from Willie Dixon, Will Dixon stole from everybody!

20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hmmmm.....Zep have not stood the test of time, yet "Stairway" continues to be played by young kids in guitar stores more than 40 years after it came out. Seems a contradiction...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.