Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not as good as that guy Jethro Tull though. ;)

You have interviews with two of the creative minds behind two other seminal English rock acts all of whom broke out at about the same time. I think it's natural that there would be some jealousy and competition between them especially since their styles are vastly different.

It might have been easier to pass it off as no more than that but that's not typical of the way musicians do things ala the guitarist in the crowd watching another pull off a hot solo and claiming he could play it better or faster or with more originality.

Like it or not there is always some degree of competition between musicians and the higher up the food chain you get the more intense the competition gets.

2. muptup

muptup TDPRI Member

The Who and Zepp have each been my favourite at certain points in my life. Zeppelin probably edge them out these days. Strangely the Stones have never been a favourite but that four album stretch from Beggars Banquet has many of the greatest songs ever written. Give it a few years and the Stones may be top :)

Rockstar posturing isn't really worth paying too much attention to though.

3. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Elvis Costello: "I've never liked them. I've tried really hard. Robert's a good guy, but the music never spoke to me. I occasionally hear them by accident and I go, 'Well, that's an interesting sound.' Same with Pink Floyd. It just passed me by. I never was curious about it."

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Same here I was a huge fan but the only time I saw the destroyed it for me it was just discordant out of time noise.

Never bothered after that and still don't.

Takes all types I guess

5. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

I don't think that if they were a flash in the pan that the O2 concert would have gotten so much attention. Nor would there be so much demand for a reunion.

6. BeatlesAreMyJam

Then how to explain Pete, Keith, Mick, Clapton etc etc's love for Hendrix?

7. BeatlesAreMyJam

Pete woudn't care about that ;)

8. BeatlesAreMyJam

No disrespect but I don't think this is true. "It's Hard" came out shortly after "Who Are You" which was Moon's last album with the band.

9. ToneChristmas

ToneChristmas Tele-Meister

It's Hard came after Face Dances to be exact, which was the first one without Moon and an album I have always kept in quite high regard. Some great songs on there.

Moon's passing never affected Pete's greatness as a songwriter, The Who and him were really far from over. Although It's Hard is a bit mediocre.

Some great solo records not to be forgotten also.

As for Zep, actually only lately have I started to somewhat get into them. Never really could before. And for me they'll clearly never touch the greatness of The Who, Pete and Quadrophenia.

But they are nice. Some more than decent rock 'n' roll tunes.

DougM likes this.
  10. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Led Zep.. A flash in the pan.. That's hilarious in how completely contrary to reality it is. :lol:

They're whatever the opposite idiom to that is.

It's funny how people feel the need to make up things about bands they dislike to justify why they dislike them.. Just say "I don't like them." and move on, it's less painful for everybody. :D

Consider how well known they still are, how most kids getting into Rock still listen to Zep and then consider that they've had that staying power after breaking up decades ago and not even releasing a single in their own country during their whole career.

Flash in the pan indeed.. Next you'll be telling me The Beatles didn't have much of a fan base.

11. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Pete said he didn't like a single thing they did and Keef said Jimmy Page is Led Zeppelin.

I can't argue with someone if they don't like A or B, it'a a matter of taste.
    I would argue with Keef's assessment however.

12. J-man

Admin Post
    Well, Page was the primary songwriter, guitarist and producer. He may not have been the whole band, but he was most of it.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

i said, "almost flash in the pan", but okay, I suppose a little too harsh. Jimi Hendrix was around for a very short time, but look at how long his stuff has lasted the test of time. I just don't think LZ's stuff made the test of time litmus test like The Who and Stones.

Maybe I just got burned out listening to "Stairway" being pathetically played in GCs. :D

14. J-man

Admin Post
    Maybe not to you, but millions of other people from multiple generations would strongly disagree.. They are easily one of the most well known and commercially successful rock bands in the history of music, with success spanning decades. I have no idea what criteria you are using. :confused:

15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

not completely. Since I've Been Loving You from Led Zep 3 is a rip off of Moby Grape, Tangerine was a rip off of Keith Relf from the Yardbirds altho Page claims he was always the co-writer... and the IV album, the famous drum intro to Rock and Roll is a total nick from Little Richard and the obvious by now intro to Stairway to Heaven was, in all probability, nicked from Taurus by Spirit.

But yes most of the ripping off was done on their first couple of albums. Great band, I think Townshend and Richards were jealous to a degree. Richards is such a blues purist, he may have objected a lot to the way Zep re-did blues numbers and didnt exactly credit... whoever.

16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Thank God I'm not a rock star. I'm free to like any band I choose. Not only that, but I freely admit to ripping off many of them. You should hear my "original" songs - they're awesome! And I'm never short of a great riff - I've got a CD collection full of 'em.

17. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So if I understand your point, the opposite of "flash in the pan" is "NOT flash in the pan", as in did not start / did not ignite / did not burn?

Oh - opposite idiom - I get it now. :D

18. J-man

Admin Post
    Oh you pedant you. :p

19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am going to give you a big, honkin' "yeah but" on that.

JP was the motivator, no doubt. The Zepp sound would not be as captivation without John Paul Jones or Bonzo. Jason is a great drummer, but the groove was just not the same at the O2 show. JPJ work and bottom end, with the push / pull of Jimmy and Bonzo is what made the band. If Jimmy had a different drummer and bassist when he started Zep, I don't think they would have been nearly as successful.

I still don't put much emphasis on a singer - personal bendt - but some of that "sound" was Mr. Plant.

Of course, this is all academic / opinion based, and not able to be proven, so there. You are now two cents richer.

20. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

As great as The Who and The Rolling Stones were in the 70's - and they were great - Zeppelin owned the decade.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.