1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I liked them from day one through Led Zeppelin 2 and then lost it.
    I was there when the first album was released. It was great at the time.
    I never got into the Stones at all. I can't explain it. It's just personal taste I guess.

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, as if that short descending passage in the Spirit tune is the entirety of Stairway....

3. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Because Zep rulez!!!!!!

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

most interviews of rock stars.. especially the keith richards/pete towsend type interviews are just elaborate versions of 'made you look' that was kind of fun when you were like 11.

5. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Oh really? Well I heard from a friend who once ran into Charlie Watts that Charlie said that Mick said Paul McCartney didn't like Led Zeppelin fans who think PRIMUS SUCKS. Why do rock stars hate Primus so much?

kookaburra likes this.
  6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I bought their first album, and my band learned a fair number of songs from it. But we soon lost interest in playing most of those, as each song seemed to be about one thing, leaving little room for contrast. The press portrayed them as Riot House hedonists, where groupies and partyists were part of the same package. By the time of the second album, they seemed to be a kids' band.

7. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

and tons of money...

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

primus sucks!

9. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

"They both know they're legends in the world of rock who've made decisive contributions to the genre."

and tons of money...

10. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Pete and Keef aren't exactly poor. What do they have to be jealous about?? The Stones especially. Easily as big as Zep.

11. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I have met a lot of original musicians who are not fans of watching other bands. My first thought was they are jealous, but really it seemed they were just very into their own thing.

12. Biz Prof

Biz Prof Tele-Meister

Could be this, in a nutshell. My mates and I were never rock stars, per se, but we played the same clubs, on the same Southeast circuit, that Hootie and Dave Matthews Band frequented. I never liked any of the original music from either of those bands, but they were all genuinely nice guys. I am glad that they found success and cashed in.

No jealously here. We simply had more in common with heavy blues rock bands like Cry of Love and Badlands, who were all just a bit too far removed from either grunge or frat rock to enjoy sustained success in the early '90s.

DougM likes this.
  13. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

If Zep had simply credited some of their more blatant plagarism, this would all be a non-issue. And everyone stole. John Lennon stole Come Together from Chuck Berry...as if the Beatles lacked for creativity.

I don't think you can claim to be a rock fan and not acknowledge Led Zep's greatness. Their handful of blatant ripoffs aside, they have a massive body of phenomenal original work that justifies a solid argument for them being the greatest rock band of all time. As do the Stones.

14. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I wonder if the fact that Entwistle and Moon almost quit the Who to start a band with Page and Beck has anything to do with Townsend's disdain for Led Zeppelin?

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, bigger by far. While I personally dig Zep more, the Stones have been able to keep their careers going for, what, 50 years now? That is absolutely unheard of!

16. bertramladner

bertramladner TDPRI Member

Zep was my favorite band in 5th grade replacing the Beattles. Zep was more wild and rebellious than the Beattles….They lasted till Bob Dylan in 10th grade.

17. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

All I can say is "to each their own", I have never been a Zeppelin fan but I still can't discount the fact that they were a good rock band with a tremendous following and some monumental songs. I guess it's a good thing that we are not all influenced by the same three guys or the rock world would be a dreadful, stagnant place.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1
    This is basically my reaction as well. Led Zep was big, but their music just not as long lasting as The Who and Stones. Almost a flash in the pan, right time right place sort of thing. However, I can see how any band would be jealous of Robert Plants' singing. Gotta admit at the time of Led Zep's first few albums, it is all I listened to, but now I still love The Who and Stones and except for learning one song of LZ for my sister's sake, I have not listened to LZ for decades.

And yes, I love Jack White. Go figure.

19. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

I would imagine more rock stars are influenced by zep then dislike them...

20. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I'm not following the "flash in the pan" idea? Bonham died and the band broke up. There is no way to know but LZ could very well have continued for many years.

The Who said they would carry on after Keith Moon but they broke up not long after LZ and didn't create any new music for 25 years even though they rehashed the same songs in reunion concerts and still do. How is that not flash in the pan?

Now The Stones, that is staying power. More of a smoldering burn.

For me I love all three, it never struck me I had to choose. But then I've been to more Ted Nugent concerts than Zep, Who, and Stones combined. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.