Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It’s all a matter of opinion, as you said. Interesting statements about The Who & the Stones...“it’s a style” :cool:

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

To all those who weren't there I'd like to offer my perspective. I saw Zep twice, between the second and third albums, and between the third and fourth albums, and both times Page was never sloppy, but as good on every tune as he was on the recordings. But, by the time SRTS was filmed, he was so wasted on heroin, that he was a ghost of his former self. Look at how thin and emaciated he looks, compared to his pics on the first two albums, where he looks like he does now, a little bit chubby. If you never saw him live before the fourth album, then you don't know how good he could be live, 'cause he got too rich too fast, the drugs took over, and it was all downhill from there.
    One thing that was really great about those days was that a lot of bands toured before an album came out, to boost album sales when released. So, you'd get to hear all the new songs for the first time live in concert, and then you'd get the album later, and listening to it would remind you of the concert.
    Then, it all became too big a business, and so the record company wouldn't finance a tour unless the album was selling, so bands would then tour after a new record came out. The old way was a lot more fun for audiences.

RLee77, awasson and BoogerRooger like this.
  3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I’m afraid to ask what you’re into

4. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

In demand session player in London in the '60s and guitarist in the most popular band in the '70s, a period when guitar music was at it's pinnacle. Page is often cited as a gifted producer as well as arranger. He clearly knew what he was doing in terms of what people want to hear.

RLee77 likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

If you get the led zeppelin DVD as watch the performance of them at Randwick race course in Sydney it pretty much puts paid to the ‘sloppy’. They may have been sloppy. But page played beautifully on it. Not disagreeing. Just throwing a bit more evidence in. Weigh it. Consider it.

RLee77 likes this.
  6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I wish more bands were as 'sloppy' as Led Zeppelin.

7. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I think part of the magic of the Led Zeppelin thing was the play between musicians. Robert Plant imitating Jimmy’s guitar, Jimmy and Bonzo’s chemistry; I don’t know any other bands where you get such an action/reaction, call/reply between drums and lead guitar. And, you can’t do it without John Paul Jones on keys and bass. His bass lines are lyrical. Jimmy is hands down the most influential guitarist to my playing, for sure.

RLee77 likes this.
  8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Interesting point @awasson about the interplay between Bonham and Page.
    Apparently he mostly played off the guitar:

"John had a huge monitor behind him, made by Showco. John's mix was a lot of drums, especially snare and kick, a lot of guitar and some bass. Voice and keyboards weren't that important to what he wanted to hear." Mick Hinton, Bonham's Drum Tech.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsle4l5/johnbonhamdrums/index3.html

EllroyJames and awasson like this.
  9. awasson

That is cool. I did not know that.

It’s a thought that came to me recently when listening to their live recordings. It seemed that Page & Bonham really hooked up during each tune and played off each other as the music built. I think it generated or built up a musical energy.

I’m sure some people just thought it was noise but I was hooked as soon as I heard the solo on Whole Lot of Love. Then of course I got hooked on pretty much everything they recorded (yes, even In Through the Out Door too). I used to sit and listen to all of the nuances, timing and so on to see if I could figure out how it just worked so well. Sometimes I still spend time listening and analyzing what goes on in those recordings and nothing is more fun than jamming to some Zeppelin; The Ocean, Ramble On, Over the hills and Far Away, What is and What should never be, Good times Bad times. All great stuff!

RLee77 likes this.
  10. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

First, I am a nobofdy.
    And I am most certainly not a rock star.

But Led Zepp dont do anything for me.

I think Plant is a lousy singer and Page justanother shredder.

Would you forgive me?

11. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Saying Page is just another shredder is like saying the model T was just another car, that’s nowhere near as good as the cars we have now. :rolleyes:
    Besides, real “shredding”, as I’ve heard it, lacks musicality and is only a small subset of what Page was about. We like what we like and I don’t fault you for that, however.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Honest Charley and awasson like this.
  13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I think we’re similar in our respect and admiration for Page’s genius in phrasing, creative improvisation, timing, and also his raw energy onstage. When I watch some of their performances, I see how Bonham is usually watching Page like a hawk, feeding off every little cue for what jimmy is doing, especially when Page is off in some in-the-moment improv.
    Another aspect of Page’s brilliance was in the studio; the interesting layers and harmonies he created added so much.

awasson likes this.
  14. awasson

That’s such an odd critique. I can understand that maybe they didn’t check all the boxes for you but... Plant is a lousy singer and Page justanother shredder? Are you sure that’s what you want to sign onto?

I mean what other shredders were there at that time. The guy from Bill Hailey and Comets had died years before, Terry Kath was coming on the scene but largely unknown for his genius in 1968. Hendrix wasn’t really a shredder but he was definitely on the scene. Richie Blackmore maybe? Jeff Beck? Clapton (the cream version)? Who were the other shredders?

Same goes for Robert Plant’s vocals. are you serious? Lousy? I am a lousy singer. I can definitely sing in key and my range was good at a time but I wasn’t even in the same universe as Robert Planet, especially the early stuff. Dude could sing and still sings better than I ever did.

Maybe you don’t know why you don’t like Zeppelin. That’s cool. You don’t have to know and you don’t have to like them. There’s no shame in that.

RLee77 likes this.
  15. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Don't care what 'rock stars' think.
    Even though it is fashionable to criticize them now, I like 'em and always have.
    Apparently, a lot of other people did too.

awasson and RLee77 like this.
  16. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

No.:p

Honest Charley and gkterry like this.
  17. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Like the Beatles, I believe they passed the audition... :lol:

gkterry, awasson and dlew919 like this.
  18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Here’s a little article I wrote in LZ a few years back. I’d change those songs today. But that’s the fun of lists.

http://www.toppermost.co.uk/led-zeppelin/

Also check out the site. It’s great. (I don’t get paid).

awasson likes this.
  19. awasson

Nicely done.

dlew919 likes this.
  20. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

He was so cool, it's like, how much more cool could he be ?

giphy (6).gif ledzeppelin.gif tumblr_lyr964saw91rn8w4yo1_500.gif

The answer is none. None more cool.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.