Why do rock stars hate Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 4, 2015.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the reason led zeppelin became so big is that alistar crowley disciple jimmy page made a deal with the devil. there, I've said it.

2. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

you are correct.. plant lost his voice in 73 and got surgery.. hat with alcohol and drugs.. esp page.. they went down hill.. also tension with JPJ.. wanted to leave before PG album came out.. Plant said in a interview led was done after 76... He actually left...bonzo talked him into coming back..

3. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

You hit the nail on the head.. page was the reason I play the guitar.. and Hendrix.. His style.. page is known as a sloppy player.. its not sloppy its a style of play.. Him and Hendrix love the ghost notes.. they let open strings play.. Voodoo chile slight return is a perfect example of ghost notes.. a lot of open strings.. its a style.. as far as the who.. in myopion there ok.. I love some song.. but 95% is crap.. same with the stones.. there a average band..

awasson likes this.
  4. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

I don't get the stones fans.. 1) there completely different music.. out of all the albums the stones made.. the sum total doesn't out sell zepps 8 studio albums... zepps catalog is number 3..

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Most bands I like are big fans of Zeppelin.
    I don't trust a musician that hates Zeppelin. A few songs maybe but not their entire catalogue.

awasson likes this.
  6. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

zepp 111.5 million.. stones 66 million.. lol...you stones fans...

Blue Bill, awasson and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

idont play anystones or the who.. I play epp cream or Hendrix to warm up.. then my own.. rooted in blues..

8. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

those albums are horrable... r u kidding me..????

9. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

in through the out door is jonseys baby.. page was hopped up on heroin..

awasson likes this.
  10. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

u got it backwards.. the beatles stones and the who should be grateful that there mentioned in the same breath as zepp.. far superior than them.. its not even close.. zepp put all those bamds out od business.. led zepp single handendly put the beatles in retirement.. and for good reason.. THEY SUCK....!!!

11. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

like Hendrix.. zepp were a threat.. they kickes butt.. and pete knew he was toast.

awasson likes this.
  12. gasmanlp

gasmanlp TDPRI Member

by that time plant lost his voice.. and page on herion.. those late shows were horrable.. page played clean guitar as well..

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

because they're tedious, their songs go on too long, and the vocals are awful.

LocoTex likes this.
  14. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

The Who were hitting full stride just fine. They put out Tommy in 1969, Who's Next in 1971 and Quadrophenia in 1973...hardly out of business.

The Beatles had their own internal issues which Led Zeppelin had nothing to do with.

These are all great bands which made their marks in their own ways. Zeppelin deserves its place among the greats, but it hardly put any of the others out of business.

awasson likes this.
  15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Led Zepplin wrote some good songs and recorded well.
    I can'y understand why other greats dislike them Maybe it's because as a LIVE band, Bonham was a "Gonzo" and Jimmy Page has to be the worst guitarist live on his signature recorded greats. They were a sloppy live band.
    NO DOUBT I'll get stick for this.
    I've even played many versions of " Stairway to Heaven " and Page never plays it well or consistently. having done a couple of recordings I know, You can build a great solo , take after take etc.
    Maybe there's things we don't know, like were they decent guys in the crazy 70s. Who knows?

P.S. Leave Charlie Watts out of it, he does his job well and isn't overbearing.:mad:

awasson likes this.
  16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If you play Zeppelin four backwards, you hear the devil's voice, and a hologram of Whoopi Goldberg appears.

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a guitarist too. I played my first gig in 1978, if that tells you how long I've been at it.

I love Zep but I'm a huge Stones and Deep Purple fan too. For a guitar player to love Zeppelin and then think Deep Purple are awful... I just dont get that. In my opinion, and thats all it is.... both those bands had a lot in common, the jazz-blues background, the studio player background, and the long improv sections at gigs. Many, many working players will say Blackmore was a much better live player than Page, while they might also say Page was better, or more creative/inventive, in the studio.

As far as the Stones.... Keith was a big influence on me. Far as I'm concerned, if you learned every lick on Get Yer Ya Yas Out, you'd probably be a pretty good guitar player. Theres so much great bloozy rock playing on there, its amazing. I just dont think they are an average band by any means.

Just my opinions.

FenderGyrl, RLee77 and awasson like this.
  18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

uh ok.

sure buddy, whatever you say.

19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome! Glad to see this thread has been resurrected (for better or worse).

I’ve got a lot of musical influences; Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Beatles, Stones, Halen, Angus Young, Billy Duffy, Steve Stevens, Johnny Greenwood and so many more but Jimmy Page...

Jimmy Page is my all time, number one musical influence. Timing, composition and techniques. I could spend a lifetime studying his musical choices and ideas. He’s a musicians musician. Yeah, I’m a fan.

RLee77, Besquire and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

There's a lady who's sure
    That somewhere a bridge
    Is missing its troll

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.