Why do people still use Pro Tools?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Wheelhouse, Sep 16, 2021.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Well, after reading countless "I hate Pro Tools" comments, this is a first.

"Its miserable to look at " LOL :)

It may be worth noting that the user can edit the screen views to suit their own preference !

RE: Minimal stuff, maximum stuff

BASIC or ADVANCED

Real Basic vs Regular Basic

Every DAW has an INPUT view with a meter and a track view showing the recorded signal.

Left to right.

Even the EVIL Pro Tools can be set to this basic configuration. Two things. Input and a track, even a SINGLE TRACK , as in ONE. Left to right.

Thats the STD DAW workflow, Input with Meter > visible track signal in real time . add an Effects Bin or an Aux Bus to a track if necessary . OR NOT.

IF any DAW view is loaded up with workflow features that they are not using, thats not the DAW's fault. Turn off all the stuff you don't want or need !

I am fairly certain that each of the purchased DAWS come with embedded Session Templates ( don't know if Reaper does) . Some of the Templates are very advanced and some are very basic. Pro Tools does indeed have multiple embedded templates. And yeah, the advanced Templates will fill the screen view while others will be very simplistic.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    suthol likes this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I don't know if Reaper does either but I've used it for more than 10 years and built my first project template last week :D

T Prior likes this.
  3. T Prior

LOL :) Dave, 10 years may be the accepted grace period !

I just did a quick search and apparently you can SAVE your Session Templates , that you built , for later use ( Save as) but there are no embedded templates already built.

I'm kinda surprised that this hasn't been discussed previously as Templates, be they simple or advanced, prevent us from redesigning the wheel each time we turn the system on. I have maybe half dozen that I built over the years which allows for not just a quick start but all screen views and layouts are included as well. Most are some sort of 6 or 8 track sessions with effects, busses and input assignments. Of course you can edit them till the cows come home !

You don't have to remember which patches you used at a previous time, its already there ! I like simple, its my full name now, Mr Simple !

suthol likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Of course you can edit it, but I'd rather not spend time doing that when I can pop open something else without expending time and energy on the parts that don't make music. I'm fully aware of how to disable and change visual settings, I just strongly prefer Waveform's aesthetic and modularity, which I even caveated with admission that it was a silly complaint. There's no reason to be condescending because somebody disagrees with you or has an opinion you hadn't even considered. I also never said Pro Tools was "evil", I simply added my input to a thread asking about opinions on it.

T Prior likes this.
  5. T Prior

The intent was not to be condescending , my sincere apology.

The point was maybe a session was OPENED that was very involved and its very easy in PRO TOOLS to just close it and grab another very simplistic template, embedded or user created.
    You did say it was "miserable to look at" and that, whether we agree or not, is a first in the complaint department ! LOL :) Thats what got my attention. We actually don't know what you were looking at or how it got loaded.

And you are correct in that you can open up another LOOK which is less cluttered, if available, no need to edit. In fact, I agree, a waste of time to edit. I'm pretty certain that not many DAW users, any brand name, spend time closing stuff they don't want. I suspect they start a session with a Template of choice, or create one.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those who may not know or are not familiar with Pro tools, this is for "general knowledge" for those who may be following this discussion,

This is NOT an opinion, its an operational procedure when we access Pro Tools, there is NO session called up. Its a blank slate. There is no default session opened automatically. WE have to select one and call it up. This is a USER selected option, not a Pro Tools default.

We can Create a session, call up a Recent session or call up a Template. IF we select Create, its a blank slate where we have to fill in the blanks. IF WE call up something else, THATS the view we get.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway, again, I apologize for my choice of words.

suthol and Cysquatch like this.
  6. stevestevesteve

stevestevesteve TDPRI Member

I have not read all the comments in this thread so someone may have already pointed out the following, but as a professional engineer I thought I'd give my two cents.

People use Pro Tools for a number of personal reasons but the two biggest are 1) with an HDX system the near zero latency is a must for tracking full bands live. Nothing else comes close. 2) most pro level engineers and producers (and every major studio) runs it. This makes collaboration extremely easy. It also enables you to bounce from studio to studio while working on the same project. You can do basic tracking at one studio, lead vocals at another, overdubs at home, and mix at a third studio (as an example).

As for the problems with Pro Tools that people on the internet like to complain about, I've found that most of those people are running cracked versions. If you pirate software be prepared for things to be a bit wonky. I've owned PT7LE, PT8LE, PT9, PT8HD (TDM), PT10HD (TDM), and am now on an HDX system running the latest version of Ultimate. I have had very few issues, all of them resolvable within 15 minutes of trouble shooting. Their support staff has never let me down.

Yes, it's expensive. But so are high end guitars and amps.

That being said, Pro Tools isn't for everybody and hits get made in other DAWs all the time. The most important thing is to just pick one and get good at it with the small caveat that if you intend to be a professional engineer and work in a commercial studio, learn Pro Tools, it is an expected skill.

As for the whole "it's miserable to look at" thing, i quite like the separate edit and mix windows. The edit window is a bit like looking at a tape machine while the mix window is like looking at a console. I wonder where they got that concept from. And it helps me with the whole right brain/left brain thing, but to each their own.

7. T Prior

I'm with ya on this. I was thinking Dual Monitors but then my daughter gave me a 28 inch monitor. Serves the purpose quite well .

This is a typical session view which is a 12 or 15 track template.

IMG_0567.JPG

stevestevesteve and wildschwein like this.
  8. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Yes! As much as personal preference is a major factor for home recording DAW choice, and I try to stay out of judgements about personal preferences (and I don't record at home)...

HD/HDX rigs can get sub 1ms latency and if your job is recording bands this makes life so much easier for everyone at the session. It's a very big deal.
    Complaining about it is akin to a car mechanic shop being criticized for having hydraulic lifts and pits to work on cars daily, because I can change my oil at home a couple of times a year using some cheap axle stands from Harbor Freight.

And it is important to have consistency of platform if you do this for a living. The craziest multi studio recording I had to deal with in the last few years was: a demo with virtual instruments and singer at her home studio in the UK, recording the full band at a studio in LA, overdubs at the same studio in LA, mix at my place in LA, singer re-doing the vocals a couple of weeks later, because she was just not happy with them, at a studio in London via a shared session with me to finalize the mix here. If I'd had to learn a different platform with different plug ins, file structures, pan laws, routing, etc. for every part of the process, it would have been a nightmare.

As to the quality of support, on the few occasions I needed help in the last couple of decades, Avid did right by me. Many other DAWs don't offer any live support let alone 24/7 phone support so there is that to consider if this is your job.

suthol, stevestevesteve and klasaine like this.
  9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

You're all good, man. As much my bad for bristling so easily as it is a word choice thing. I've spent a good amount of time PT, and while layout is some of it, it's really just the general look of it, even with fiddling with appearances and editing layout and using custom templates. There's something just so very Windows 98 about it to me that I find strains my eyes much more than I feel it should. Whereas my preferred DAW, Waveform - and Tracktion T7 before it, have a slickness and visual polish to them that I find both pleasing and softer on my eyes. That and their menu control and modularity as well as how much auto-hide and auto-show stuff you can very easily automate makes it an absolute joy for me.

If you ever feel like trying something else out, I cannot recommend Waveform enough. And the free version is not some limited nonsense toy, it's a full production suite that'll fit for 99% of users, I'd bet.

T Prior likes this.
  10. stevestevesteve

stevestevesteve TDPRI Member

OH MY GOD!!! YOUR EDIT WINDOW IS ON THE LEFT?!? WRONG!!!

Just kidding! hahaha

The utlrawide looks great! I have one too and love it, but do have a 40" TV above and behind it. Edit window on the TV, mix window on the ultrawide.

Dude, exactly.

Oooooh. I get what you're saying now. standard view and older versions definitely do have a certain Windows 95 aesthetic quality to them. Newer versions have a dark mode that I love. Much more sleek looking.

T Prior likes this.
  11. timbraun

timbraun Tele-Meister

Yes. You don't have to update after installation at all.

12. T Prior

Any and all comments regarding UPDATES is about WINDOWS, not any DAW.

"Purchased software" will always run , as intended . Software updates are about added features or known issues which have been resolved. Typical and common, if we read the SOFTWARE UPDATES NOTES we may find that whatever was updated had nothing to do with our daily use. We may not even know what it is they are talking about.

Its also a dirty little unknown secret that older software, where it is said that it will not run on a newer operating system version , WILL run.

A few cases in point, I am running a very old version of Cool Edit 2000 , intended for XP /Win7 , on WIN 10 . This software eventually became Audacity. 2nd, I am also running an early version of Maudio Delta Interface software intended for XP, on WIN 7. 3rd, I am running MS Office 2007 on WIN 10.

Before trashing older versions of software, or paying for an update, load them and check them out.

wildschwein, klasaine and suthol like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm still running stuff on Windows 10 that was written in the 90s. The only thing it wouldn't run on was Windows 8.

T Prior likes this.
  14. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I still run Pro Tools LE 8 on Windows 10. This version was compiled for XP. It runs perfectly and the driver for the MBOX 2 works fine too. I also run Cubase 6 LE on Windows 10 and that was from way before Windows 10 was released -- it runs 100% fine.

Most older Windows stuff will run and you can also choose compatibility mode when you install it if you have issues with a straight install:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-783d6dd7-b439-bdb0-0490-54eea0f45938

T Prior likes this.
  15. T Prior

But fear not, Windows 11 is on its way ! :) I think they are trying to figure out how to lock out any and all programs that ran on previous Windows versions ! :eek:

beagle likes this.
  16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

And users too in most cases. :lol:

17. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

That would simply cause a move to Linux and running Windows programs under WINE (Windows emulator)

Apart from the bit of a learning curve for Linux it would make a heap of the lower performing machines more efficient.

All OS are a pain in the whatsit to install and get everything running so no big deal for those prepared to have a go, those who won't have a go will stick with what they know and complain.

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

ProTools is the big mill DAW so most people believe that’s what they have to use. I have an old version of PT but use Auria Pro on my iPad. I can hand it to the wife in the vocal booth so she can operate the transport functions. It’s great for work flow.

19. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I use Garage Band - yes it lacks sophistication, but I'm not running a full professional studio, but it gives me a professional file, and I'm just investigating using it for mastering.

I say if it works for you, use it. LOgic, Protools, Reaper, Garage Band, Soundtrap... go for it.

klasaine likes this.
  20. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

GarageBand is perfectly serviceable as a daw in certain professional applications. I was recently involved in a remote project where at least 19 different players had to lay down tracks for a record and several of them used GB because pre Covid they did not record professionally at home. *They are all pro players. The master sessions are a mix of PT, GB, DP, Reaper, Studio 1, Logic and Luna (me) all imported into Cubase.

I tried to get the leader to do a YT video illustrating how daws are more the same than they are different, especially when it comes to meat and potatoes recording.

The daw is relatively inconsequential if you can play, have basic recording competency (a little bit of mic technique and don't redline) and you know how to export a track.

T Prior, dlew919 and suthol like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.