Why do people still use Pro Tools?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Wheelhouse, Sep 16, 2021.

1. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I have PT 2018.something vanilla on a 2012 Mac Mini, all SSD…but have been using Cubase 10.5 because I have a wider choice of pianos, B3s, and voices. Ran an RME FF800 literally to death, using Steinberg USB U816 now.

I ran a PT10 rig for quite a long time…sounded great, very easy to do near everything, but like a nitwit upgraded Mac OS which ‘rendered’ in inoperable. Projects done in any PT session after 6 open…

one of the biggest things I’ve seen with PT, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, all of them is a lack of knowing the basics like signal flow, gain staging, etc…and people are more reluctant to RTFM than in years past.

2. Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse TDPRI Member

So in all these replies, it seems that there are several who have never needed to use Avid customer support, or else people just comment about capabilities of this or that. Which in its own way fits the notion of "nobody has anything good to say about customer support." :confused:

It was only idle musing in the first place.

3. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

I guess I used their customer support back in the day because I had a student license of Pro Tools and I was trying to pay them for what they advertised as a "special upgrade path" but it turned out that there was no upgrade path and they had forgotten to actually make there be one.

I forget the details. They were responsive enough and the interaction earned them my scorn and disrespect to this very day. I'll use the stuff if I have to. I won't pay them.

Look at what they did to Sibelius, though, to see how awful Avid is.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Who supports masters of the universe?

5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes it can. PT is so ubiquitous in the recording world that even if they folded tomorrow and cut off all support it would probably take 10 years for one of the other platforms to become the "industry standard".

I'll also add that IME most 'glitchy' and 'buggy' issues with established computer software, especially DAW software, is either user error, user laziness and/or hardware incompatibility.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Masmus likes this.
  6. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Top of the mornin'....

Personally, I think all DAW software has it's place.
    All will manifest some annoying issues to a small percentage of users.
    We've come to expect DAW apps to do a hell of a lot over the last couple of decades so they can be quite deep.
    I think reading/studying the manual is incumbent of all of us.

None of them are necessarily better than the other and none actually sound better than the other.
    Our ears and knowing how to use the tools we have do that.

Users try out an app and stick with it based on it's GUI, work flow and it's perceived intuitiveness.

I've been with Cakewalk (Sonar X3 Producer) since the mid 90's and it works for me...for others, maybe not.
    For any future decision making, try all the demos and see what works for you.

That's my take...carry on.

Skully and klasaine like this.
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

" A Mountain " ????

So heres a basic question , How is it that a variety of users say the software is glitchy etc, it doesn't work well, its unstable, " don't change anything" .. whatever that means...and countless others are using the exact same software without reported issues. ? Like me for example. Did I get a special package marked " not glitchy "? And to compound the matter, I have TWO versions NON Glitchy !

The angst against Pro Tools is pretty ridiculous, its just a DAW. Apparently people who have issues ask other people with less knowledge than they have for advise.

Did you ever rebuild a carburetor ,? No but let me tell you to do it, I have a friend who rebuilt one once "

Nobody wants to read manuals or view tutorials anymore , nobody wants to take the time to study, dig deep and get to root causes of an issue. We just jump to the obvious conclusion, it ain't me, its the product.

we also have an entire community of players that want to bypass years of study so they can play a gig Sat. Night.

klasaine likes this.
  8. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

What an odd thread, especially since the OP says his actual problems were with a piece of hardware and re-licensing an old version of Sibelius.

Might as well ask why do peole eat pistachio flavored ice cream? I don't like it, so how could anyone else possibly enjoy it?
    Or maybe start an internet thread pretending not to understand why other people use google maps on their phones, because I had a problem getting an old version of YouTube to work on my TV.

Just odd.

T Prior and klasaine like this.
  9. T Prior

Well maybe just par for the course.

I settled for a Mustang but really wanted a 'Vette, so let me talk poorly about the 'Vette !

"There, I feel better now " ! :)

getbent likes this.
  10. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

I use ProTools....Logic as well....have tried StudioOne....even tried LUNA the new platform that UAD has created....before I got serious about music production I used Audacity....but the Music Production course I did through Berklee School of Music emphasized Pro Tools so that became my main platform....but I'm becoming more familiar with Logic as this is the choice for some....

11. dang

dang TDPRI Member

Reaper is the answer!

12. dang

dang TDPRI Member

How do you expect them to stay in business and to keep improving the software???
    JUST PAY THE $60 ALREADY!!!
    It's a bargain.

13. T Prior

Answer to what ?

Are we not curious as to why anytime Pro Tools is discussed, for whatever reason, the answer is always

REAPER is the answer.

Well it certainly is the answer if we are not wanting to spend more than $60 ! :)

14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi T Prior, how ya' been man?

I have many friends who own high end pro studios, and they have been using Pro Tools since the 90's, and Studio One is the one I keep hearing they are going to change to.

Jerry

15. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

Interesting that nobody has mentioned Ableton. I started off in ProTools, and then I used Logic, and now I am using Ableton mostly. I have been enjoying the workflow of Ableton. I am tempted to dig back into Logic again with some of the recent changes.

I think Logic is great for a solo artist trying to compose in your DAW. I like all of the virtual instruments that Logic comes with, a lot of great tools to help you flesh out ideas quickly.

If I was going to be working in a studio and moving the project between people and locations, I would probably go with ProTools, because regardless of what tools a studio primarily uses, they all have ProTools. I have even had situations where I tracked in a studio with ProTools and took it home and worked on it in another DAW, which is definitely an option too.

I have really only briefly looked at Reaper, and I didn't see anything for me that I wasn't getting out of other tools that would compel me to switch. That said I know people use it and get great results.

Long story short, I think the best tool is the one that best satisfies your project requirements. If you are working with a lot of people ProTools might be best. If you are working with a lot of virtual instruments, Logic might be for you. If you have a workflow that you like, maybe it is Ableton, or any of the others mentioned here.

16. T Prior

Doin fine ! Thx, Hope you are as well !

I doubt retail studios will move away from Pro Tools as a mass exit and I dou8bt they would move to Studio One, but for a newbie, I think its a pretty nice overall package. To me the workflow looks like Pro Tools.

Its a nice package, but I doubt I'm going to change at this point in life, I have no reason to ! PT 12 xxx does all I could ever desire.

Stay well !

TP

17. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

Totally agree with you. Pro Tools is the industry standard and allows me to easily take sessions from my home studio into professional recording studios when needed - tracking drums, final mix checks etc. Every professional studio I've worked in ran Pro Tools as their main DAW.

I've tried many other DAWs (Logic Pro, Studio One, Luna, Cubase, Ableton even Audition!! just because I have it already in Creative Cloud) but I've never been convinced to switch.

I must admit the tired white interface was starting to get old, so happy we can now darken the Pro Tools interface to whatever we like. My eyes are much happier.

I store my sessions locally - backed up to an additional external drive at the end of every session.

I think many DAWs are perfectly good. I've used Pro Tools since early 2000s and it works very well for me. I can get around the interface quickly and focus on the music creation.

If I ever did switch Logic Pro or Studio One would be likely contenders for me. I like both.

Use whatever makes you happy and allows you to focus on the creation rather than the software.

18. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Holic

I'm old school. I don't want to make music with my phone or my computer.

19. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

i use Sonar Platinum. I have the paid version and it's free now.

super stable and no issues on my offline win7 machine.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Skully likes this.
  20. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Honestly, my biggest gripes with Pro Tools are how unintiutive is (to me anyway) and how absolutely miserable it is to look at. It still looks like late 90s freeware in many ways, which just grates on my eyes. If I'm going to be spending as much time looking at a program in large sittings, it might as well be easy on the eyes, which I know is a dumb complaint. But, there are options that are more intuitive for me and look great, like all versions of Waveform, so I see no reason to sit and be dissatisfied with my DAW just because it's "standard".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.