Why do people still use Pro Tools?

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
My own experience and comments from others tell me over and over that Pro Tools is trouble. Terrible customer service, very difficult technical support. The software is also extremely finicky - I hear plenty of people say, once it's set up and working, don't change anything because it'll break.

So why do people use it? Logic, Digital Performer, other options exist. I've never heard anybody complain about MOTU's support, although it just seems lower profile in general. Even my local dealer complains about Avid and says they have lousy customer service. With that kind of reputation, I don't see why people just switch. "Industry standard" surely can't overcome a mountain of bad customer service & support, can it?

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
It's a studio standard, not necessarily better than anything else. But it's been cracked and you can download it for free if you know how to use Google.

I use Reaper. Steep learning curve, but it works better than anything else. And a license for semi-pro use is $60, and the demo runs indefinitely with just a nag screen.

Last edited:

no doz

Tele-Meister
first to capture the market is tough to uproot. all the big name engineers at the advent of digital used it, so those who sought to follow in their footsteps used it, rinse + repeat til today. older users are hesitant to learn new tech or make major overhauls to their workflow, new school users want to be perceived as professional so they reach for what's common. PT is a waning industry standard, but industry standard still dictates a certain ease of use in terms of opening / working in other people's sessions

i use logic pro personally

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
pretty funny stuff. I use Pro Tools and have for 12 years, no issues with Ilok, Support or anything. I find most of the negative comments a bit odd as do many other Pro Tools users.

The Pro Tools forums are full of " it doesn't work, my version is full of bugs, I cant do this or that, it can't do this or that , you must purchase a subscription, its missing features" and on and on.

People ask questions, the answers are typically due to doing something wrong, or forgetting to turn something on or off... then you never hear from them again. I think all of it is just personal preference, we like what we like. We learn a workflow and it becomes comfortable. I also think many of us like to just brag on what we own.

Someone above writes that Reaper works better than anything else , No it does not . LOL :) It does not work better than anything else, but it may for the $60 price over a FREE version of whatever. They also stated that Reaper has a steep learning curve. While I do not use Reaper, ( I have ) I didn't find the learning curve steep at all.

While I have no intention to change, if I did, it would be to Studio One. While it uses different terminology than pro Tools, its a very nice smooth workflow.

Then this, put the same exact software in front of 50 people, 20 will love it and find no issues, 20 will like it and have a few issues, 5 will struggle but get it working and the last 5 will say it doesn't work at all and its full of bugs. SAME software.

I own 2 versions both Perpetual License. 8 and 12 xxx

Many on the forums post that you can't get a Perp License for Pro Tools, only a subscription. It only takes about 30 seconds for multiple replies and a link to the PERP LICNESE product. Others says you must use the internet cloud to store you sessions, ??? And of course you can but you can certainly store them locally.

Part of the problem that Pro Tools created for itself was the scaled down free and demo bundled packages. I think they created problems for brand new users, next thing ya know, Pro Tools is horrible ! FREE software comes with FREE issues ! Nothing is free , only headaches !

Pro Tools monthly lease with support is expensive but it is not meant or intended for home studio users, it is meant for retail houses that are running 5 or 6 days a week and charging crazy hourly prices. Its like leasing a car for business. The few studios I hang with now and then are all on a monthly LEASE program with 24/7 support. Thats a requirement for them .

If we don't want to spend $500 or more for a Perp license package, or acquire a monthly lease with 24/7 support, then indeed get Reaper for $60 . It works just fine.

This whole Pro Tools VS the World is basically just another version of which is Tele is best, MIM, MIJ , Crafted in China or USA ? and we all agree on that one LOL :eek:

Last edited:

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
@T Prior pretty much hit the nail on the head. Every DAW certainly has its pros and cons, and Pro Tools is no exception, but it will likely remain a standard for the big commercial studios even as other DAW platforms gain larger market shares.

Personally I use Logic Pro as the value proposition it offers for $200 is impossible to beat if you're on a Mac, but there are a ton of great options out there depending on your work flow and preferences.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have both protool and Logic
I love logic because I can go into the environment and build midi objects to controll all my midi gear and script that into a mix down or session

Protools , while it works fine does not have that capability, I was able to take all of my / virtual instruments/plugins /VST's and wrap them so they worked with both programs ( a huge bonus for sure)

But I do preffer logic

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
pretty funny stuff. I use Pro Tools and have for 12 years, no issues with Ilok, Support or anything. I find most of the negative comments a bit odd as do many other Pro Tools users.

The Pro Tools forums are full of " it doesn't work, my version is full of bugs, I cant do this or that, it can't do this or that , you must purchase a subscription, its missing features" and on and on.

People ask questions, the answers are typically due to doing something wrong, or forgetting to turn something on or off... then you never hear from them again. I think all of it is just personal preference, we like what we like. We learn a workflow and it becomes comfortable. I also think many of us like to just brag on what we own.

Someone above writes that Reaper works better than anything else , No it does not . LOL :) It does not work better than anything else, but it may for the $60 price over a FREE version of whatever. They also stated that Reaper has a steep learning curve. While I do not use Reaper, ( I have ) I didn't find the learning curve steep at all.

While I have no intention to change, if I did, it would be to Studio One. While it uses different terminology than pro Tools, its a very nice smooth workflow.

Then this, put the same exact software in front of 50 people, 20 will love it and find no issues, 20 will like it and have a few issues, 5 will struggle but get it working and the last 5 will say it doesn't work at all and its full of bugs. SAME software.

I own 2 versions both Perpetual License. 8 and 12 xxx

Many on the forums post that you can't get a Perp License for Pro Tools, only a subscription. It only takes about 30 seconds for multiple replies and a link to the PERP LICNESE product. Others says you must use the internet cloud to store you sessions, ??? And of course you can but you can certainly store them locally.

Part of the problem that Pro Tools created for itself was the scaled down free and demo bundled packages. I think they created problems for brand new users, next thing ya know, Pro Tools is horrible ! FREE software comes with FREE issues ! Nothing is free , only headaches !

Pro Tools monthly lease with support is expensive but it is not meant or intended for home studio users, it is meant for retail houses that are running 5 or 6 days a week and charging crazy hourly prices. Its like leasing a car for business. The few studios I hang with now and then are all on a monthly LEASE program with 24/7 support. Thats a requirement for them .

If we don't want to spend $500 or more for a Perp license package, or acquire a monthly lease with 24/7 support, then indeed get Reaper for $60 . It works just fine.

This whole Pro Tools VS the World is basically just another version of which is Tele is best, MIM, MIJ , Crafted in China or USA ? and we all agree on that one LOL :eek:

I completely agree. I use Pro Tools and have for years and find it very easy to use and stable. No issues whatsoever and I've had no need for support.

I usually don't realise that something I like using and think is really good is actually complete **** until someone on a forum says it is and says that everyone else thinks the same!

GoldDeluxe5E3

Tele-Afflicted
I get that everybody who has learned a particular DAW's arcane controls feels committed to that particular DAW, especially if the title "Industry Standard" has been conferred upon it.

I've used ACID Pro $400 in 2000, Cakewalk, Protools Express, Audacity (for Voiceover work) and now REAPER. Why? Here's Reaper's spokesman and trainer or dozens of Youtube Reaper lessons, Kenny Gioia, answering exactly that question without out much s--- talk about other DAWS.

ieatlions

Tele-Afflicted
Cakewalk was my first DAW back in 2005, I upgraded from running a Sony minidisc with my PC microphone in front of my Marshall 4x12! o_O

Found it ok but Not long after I upgraded to Protools and found it more intuitive and more reliable. 2009 I jumped to Logic, don’t know if I could truly say it’s ‘better’ than protools but I do prefer it.

Most studios I’ve been to in the last 5 years seem to favour logic..

At home I use GarageBand. The current version is stunning, definitely not a token/toy DAW anymore!

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
I get that everybody who has learned a particular DAW's arcane controls feels committed to that particular DAW, especially if the title "Industry Standard" has been conferred upon it.

now REAPER. Why? Here's Reaper's spokesman and trainer or dozens of Youtube Reaper lessons, Kenny Gioia, answering exactly that question without out much s--- talk about other DAWS.

That's it's big selling point for me.
The latency video was the first that I found, I FOUGHT latency issues with FL Studio for 3 years.
Downloaded Reaper, followed the vid, 10 mins later, DONE.
My latency is perfect
Any question that I have had, has been answered in the reaper vids.
Kenny Gioia's delivery is a bit stunted but once you get past that, EVERYTHING is explained and pretty easily found. Kenny does a great job explaining the how and why of the software.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

qrcode_www.reaper.fm.png

InstituteOfNoise

Tele-Holic
Another Pro Tools user here for years. Never had issues, exception being 3rd party plugins that weren't quite built for as well as they could have for AAX. On MIDI, I've never had any issues creating or working with it. I personally can't stand Logic nor seen how it is that much better for my needs. I tried and was a pain...

One thing I'm confident is that nothing is better/faster for editing than PT. That's it's strong suit and every other pro mixer I know has confirmed that to me. Also the number of post production houses that use it for that purpose too.

FWIW, LUNA from UA has been the easiest program for me to get using quickly. It has a way to go still but I think over the next couple of years it will be fully formed.

wildschwein

Tele-Afflicted
Pro Tools is just what it says on the box -- tools for pros. Avid no longer cater for the low end bedroom market like they did in the LE DigiDesign days and the common platform makes it easy for production houses and studios to share projects when they're collaborating -- just like importing an MS Word documet from one computer to another (in the most simplest scenario). Although, STEMs allow this too if there are different DAWS in use. I wouldn't worry about this sort of DAW-wars stuff. Find something that works for yourself and use it. They are all just tools to do certain jobs and the terminolgy used and the way they do it varies but it's all for the same ends.

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
It is mentioned above regarding editing , For me that was the primary reason I went searching for a new DAW at the time , but in fairness, as a new DAW user, I was using scaled down free versions of Cubase and Sonar at the time. Pro Tools editing is ridiculously easy and fast. They have what is called the "smart tool" and it is indeed smart. Whoever wrote that feature was a genius.

It is also mentioned about latency, thats an interface / timing issue, not really the DAW. If Pro Tools was not able to compensate for Latency issues on the backside it would have died years ago. Todays markets would not even remember who or what Pro Tools was . Implying that Pro Tools can't deal with latency is inaccurate.

ANY DAW today that can't compensate internally with buffer sizes would make the DAW unusable given the amount of very inexpensive interfaces being offered on the market. Even my Pro Tools 8, 2008 version on XP platform , can deal and adjust for latency. If we have a reasonably good interface, adjust the DAW buffers and Latency will not be an issue.

By the way Latency is never actually zero, its a small tiny number that our ears can't detect. IF we have an interface with audio going IN , a PC or MAC, a DAW, and an audio signal going OUT , there is latency. ( delay) The trick is to get it so low that it is inaudible. Something under 8ms is understood to be inaudible to our ears. We get that by adjusting operational buffer sizes, if we can. Pro Tools for example , has recommended buffer sizes on the CPU page , but it also depends on the amount of RAM we have . Its a give and take thing based on the interface and PC/MAC. Buffer sizes are also user selected , its not one size fits all. If we are experiencing Latency with an Interface /DAW, head over to the DAW /CPU setup page. Its there for a reason.

But, indeed, a $500 or more package or monthly fees and yearly support , is NOT intended for the Home User. Apparently that's the biggest reason low end or home users ( me / us) complain about Avid. Cost and Fee's. For the small home user this is valid .

Retail Studios want and require 24/7 support , and that is something Avid does really well for the hi end users, or they would be out of business and soon. Retail Studios also lean towards monthly leasing , its two fold. Business tax deductions and they always get the latest version of product. When I was working , the company provided me with a new lease car every 3 years. They didn't buy me a car. This is a very common business practice. Avid was smart enough to jump into this pond and it paid off big time for them.

So, a nice package like Reaper enters the market and grabs a ton of users, for $60. Is it better or the best ? Of course not. Read the Reaper forums, they have similar issues and questions from users who want to plug it in and make a million dollar retail recording on day one. Apparently its not vogue to write negative comments about Reaper ! LOL ! :cool: But I will say this, for the $60 price it really filled a slot and took over the lower price alternative in the DAW market. Good for them !

I do have one question though, why is it we diss Pro Tools on a regular basis ?

This thread asks, why do people still use Pro Tools ?

I ask, why ? why does it matter ? Use whatever you want ! Pro Tools is not going away no matter how many times we have Pro Tools vs the World discussions.

Spend the $60 and go with Reaper ! Be happy ! :)

"MY CV Tele is every bit as good as your Custom Shop USA, even better " !:)

Last edited:

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh and this I forgot to mention..

Why do retail studios still use Pro Tools ? Pretty simple answer. Massive amounts of artists, musicians and professional producers/engineers have the same platform available at home or a remote location for off line work. Now add other retail studios availability. Bring the session to the musician or artist. Doesn't matter where they are anywhere in the world . Avid captured this market. Millions are not going to change. Its that simple .

Avid opened the doorway to using a cloud for session storage and/or signing in to access the session on a remote package. Engineers, producers etc. no longer have to sit in the studio for access / editing / mixing etc.

When I was active tracking Steel guitar in the area, multiple times, producers came to ME with the session on a USB drive. We tracked what they wanted in my home Pro Tools 12 studio. They loved it, I loved it. It wasn't about if Pro Tools was good or the best, nobody cared, it was about HAVING it ! "You have Pro Tools running ? How about I come to you" !

More often than not, I ran the tracking session, they watched, listened , commented, and drank coffee , in my house ! Pretty good work if you can find it ! :)

Last edited: