1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do I need a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by adamlovesgin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

One of the reasons (probably the main one), I love Telecasters:

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I keep a telecaster by the bed, just in case I need to 'Keef' a burglar.

Owenmoney likes this.
  3. Allan 65

Allan 65 TDPRI Member

I use a Tele, brilliant guitar, I dial in my tones with my amp no probs I use a 65 Deluxe Reverb, I also have a Strat and Les Paul, so i think i have all bases covered.

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

No, for that you need a Precision, a Jazz, a .............. Sorry, but someone had to.

ecosse likes this.
  5. WigWam

WigWam TDPRI Member

ecosse and AAT65 like this.
  6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Why do you need a Tele? According to what you've said about them you probably need one for the same reason I need a Strat. I don't.

7. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

A tele is a sign that you aren't interested in neck pickups. :rolleyes:

8. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Unless you're steve cropper ;)

9. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

My Lester chops wood & carries water. My tele rings like a bell. The tele makes me play much differently & find tunes i don't think I ever would have on the LP, & the converse is also true.

10. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Also i'm digging my neck pickup~ it's a coverless Twang Smoker wound by David @ Zhangbucker. Mojo enough I have to hold it back by setting it a bit low.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

With all due respect, I don't "get" this way of looking at why bridge pickups exist and what they're for. There's things I would do with a Tele bridge pickup that an LP bridge pickup could never do in a million years. If you mean I can make more mid range racket with an LP bridge pickup, first we have to establish that's what I want or need to do.

Maybe that's what you want/need to do and if so, the Telecaster may not suit you. I'd simply suggest a little meditation, thinking about all the purposes we have for bridge pickup. I'm trying to think of which performers I go to see over others, because they're "strong". Nah. Not interested in those types, to be honest.

Hope this helps.

12. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Been here a few years now and have to say I'm a little disappointed in some of the replies in this thread. Granted, the OP came off a little haughty initially, but I remember this forum had more decorum in years past. We've had our share of posters that deserved a legitimate flaming, but this one, not so much. I'm glad to see Mr. Kirn posted, always solid advice from him.

I've always considered the Telecaster to be a Swiss Army knife. Everything you need is in it. Classical to thrash. I started on a hollow body Teisco, been through two Strats, played a few humbucker guitars. Briefly. Personally, I just wanted something different than what the shredders were using and I was too cheap to buy a Gibson. Heard Jonny Lang's first big album and got bit, but didn't do anything about it for 10 years. Woke up one morning and decided I'd make one. Made three to date. I figure if it's good enough for Jonny, Reverend Billy, and countless others, then it's good enough for me. My acoustic is the only other guitar that gets as much play.

It's a normally aspirated, cast iron block, country air conditioned sleeper of a guitar. It ain't frilly, though it is pretty. It's stripped down for performance (you gotta pay extra for comfort like belly cutouts). It's utilitarian, in that it's function over form, but it can be as delicate as a lover's touch or as brutal as a jackhammer after 8 hours. It is simplicity. It has a learning curve, no doubt. I'm still learning. But we've had folks on here who could dial their guitar in to shredder action, so if that's what you're looking for, it is possible. David Gilmour still plays one, sounds good. If you like a challenge, the Tele will happily indulge you.

In the end, it's a tool, plain and simple.There's no cruise control, GPS, or power anything on this thing. It has its own voice and if that's the voice that's been whispering in your ear, then by all means, listen. Or not. Free will is sublime.

Samples gathered from the Tube:

https://youtu.be/AfP3-KKs_4Y

https://youtu.be/Z_WgYtu_D0I

https://youtu.be/WcKGIf5F-lI

https://youtu.be/vCnT8prUqFY

There are literally countless examples of the diversity with the Telecaster. String gauge, pickup height, action. Dial it in and enjoy.

13. redriding

redriding Tele-Meister

I find the tele to be a very versatile instrument.
    I play quite surfy and Americana stuff ordinarily,but the last band I played in was a metal outfit and my Teles never left me wanting for more grunt (both my teles have CSTS bridge pickups)
    I've always found strats to be too "pretty" sounding and i don't like the shorter scale length of a gibbo (although I own a Flying V) and I find les Paul's too one dimensional dynamically speaking.
    Before I played a Tele I was always under the impression that they were ice pick treble hell but it's a fallacy.Its better to have too much and turn it down than not enough and be left wanting.
    I first played a Tele about 15 years ago and it was like an epiphany for me.
    I'd finally found my guitar and it's never left me.

14. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

OK I'll bite! A good Tele neck pickup can out-Strat a Strat neck pickup. And don't think I didn't see that emoticon o_O

Melecaster likes this.
  15. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

I agree with the concept that it does make you play differently than other guitars. When I first played one back in the mid seventies, I immediately understood why the old time country guys chose them- with the neck pickup you can play it like an acoustic guitar. I find it to be the easiest guitar for my non electric friends to play. This also may be the reason some players who are mainly electric players dont like the front pickup as much- and perhaps find some setups difficult to play. I can do anything I want with a strat, tele and gibson les paul special DC or junior. But if I had to have one guitar it likely would be a tele. I have no need for the middle pickuo of a strat, and block all my trems, and I dont need a tummy cut. The tele can do enough strat (fender) things, and a strat cannot do enough tele things. Its all down to what you need- one is not better than the other- just different.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  16. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

:) My post was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I play slide only on electrics, I mostly use the neck pickup and I'm very sensitive to string to string balance. I had a nice Blade tele, with their excellent VST active tone system; I was able to get the bridge pickup how I liked it by altering the individual heights of the alnico slugs, but there was nothing useful I could do with the neck pickup. By hindsight, I should have got screwpole pickup, but I traded it on something. I think the tele is a great design, but I would get one with a P90 type (single coil screwpole) pickup in the neck.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think of a Tele as a bare bones blank canvas. Like a Fender blackface amp. A clean platform that I can do whatever I want with. I choose to leave mine pretty much stock. I can't imagine being without at least one Tele.

I think of a (good) Les Paul, as a Tele on steroids. Same biting, bright tone, more mids....

I don't define all other guitars in terms of a Telecaster (like saying a Strat is a curvy Tele with a softer, bluesier sound), but the Les Paul seems like a natural kin to the Tele. Just more output, and heavier.

Keep in mind, I play a Les Paul more like Mr. Polsfuss himself did (just not as good), and not like Slash, Jimmy, Billy, etc. Lester's guitar and playing sounded more like a Tele to me, than anything else.

18. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

One of the great rules of looking for a guitar-they are all different.
    I have a MIM Tele-very sweet. Played about 15 versions of Teles that day and this was the one that talked to me.

In fact one of my Strat and LP mates (owns a 67 strat), when he played it went out and bought a MIM tele also. But, it didn't have the play-ability-mojo-of the one I had and traded it for a for an ESP. Went straight back to a humbuckered tele and is very happy.
    My LP mate (2015 Goldtop) always wants to play the tele when he comes round. Cant get him off it.

I've played a lot of electrics, but I'm mostly an acoustic guy. This MIM tele is a keeper.
    In a nutshell - Maybe you haven't played the right one yet :)

19. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Thanks for this response, praising the telecaster. Some great clips.

20. mannyg

mannyg Tele-Meister

You don't need a Telecaster, the Telecaster decides if it needs you.
    And if it does you become magically cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.