Why do I like so few normal solos? = David Rawlings Radiohead Cover

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tfarny, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Why do I find playing like this absolutely hypnotic but 96% of solos longer than 12 bars bore me to tears (and I'm a guitar player)? Wondering if others have the same / similar experience.
    Solo starts about 2:40 if you need to skip.

2. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I also find 96% of solos bore me. Most seem to be about demonstrating virtuosity, which I find very impressive and all that, but not particularly moving. Clearly others are moved by such things (hence the whooping on this recording when he plays some notes high up the neck).

It may be familiarity with the original -- not especially one of my favourite Radiohead songs -- but I didn't find the solo here all that inspirational either (though I did like the interpretation in general). I'm well aware that my idea of an interesting solo would bore others. Examples include Robert Fripp on Starless, where he mostly plays the same note, and the 'solo' is a steady state against which the percussion and bass react. Or the classic 'non-solo' of Boredom by Buzzcocks, which you have to be pretty obtuse not to realise is the perfect expression of the theme of the song.

3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I much prefer a 10 note solo to a 100 note solo.

Sleepyscholar likes this.
  4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

S' why I like Richard Thompsen, leads are never too long but also a roller coaster of unpredictability.

raysachs and MilwMark like this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I love that Radiohead album and almost every song on it. I think The Bends is one of the great rock and roll albums of all time. And I also like it when folks go well outside their bounds to do covers by other bands. Finally, I think David Rawlings is an absolutely fantastic guitar player. All that said, I didn't love this one. It's not bad, but I wish he wasn't capo'd up so high and could have used a lot more of the fretboard. When it comes to Radiohead, it's hard for me not to think of Jonny Greenwood on a humbucker-equipped Tele (like the one he played when they were on tour for The Bends).

po-boy and stringslinger like this.
  6. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

I've recently become a huge fan of Neil Young solos. His solos extend far past 12 bars, but I stay interested mostly because of the lack of virtuosity. Sounds to me like the furthest thing from virtuosity.

This Rawlings solo is on point to me. Seems to me like he hits that balance of learning all the notes and then throwing it all away and just playing. Charlie Parker said something along those lines.

Sleepyscholar likes this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Huge Rawlings fan. Don't like that solo. Doesn't mean you shouldn't. To me it's just a lotta notes that don't say much at all. In stark contrast to most of what he does.

6BQ5 and Sleepyscholar like this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I've also been a big Rawlings fan for some time. He takes some original approaches to soloing. Sometimes he won't quite pull it off but when he does...oooh boy.

6BQ5 likes this.
  9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I don't usually count the number of bars covered by a solo, unless it's me plating. But I like to hear a solo that you know was created around the particular song that it's part of.
    It seems to me, as a musician, that most of the solos you hear today are completely interchangeable for any number of songs. Just "change the key and dive in" type of stuff. Listen to almost any of today's blues guys, and even many country players, and you will hear what I'm talking about.
    It's just hard (translate as boring) to keep hearing the same old same old over and over again.
    Don

scrapyardblue and MilwMark like this.
  10. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

number of bars in solo doesnt mean anything for me... It could be 100 notes or 3 notes .. it must cooperate artististiclly with the song.. Yeah I love how Billy Corgan plays and hates how Ingwie Malmsteen plays

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I've heard Rawlings do stuff that moved me a lot more than this.

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't think this is his best work either, but if you know his style you know what I mean. I feel like he takes a solo in a direction that you wouldn't have expected it to go but that nonetheless fits perfectly with the rest of the song components. It makes you want to know where he's going to go next. Having seen them live a few times I know that his solos are pretty carefully composed pieces.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

14. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

I don't think it has to be an All or Nothing sort of thing. This solo was melodic, rhythmic, and had waves to it. It wasn't all minor pentatonic. Rawlings is a talented cat! He likes to throw in some chromatic notes (which I love), and is great with mixing open strings with closed notes.

I'm almost more impressed with how he was playing with the guitar in that position! It looked uncomfortable, but he was killing it!

If this is the type of guitar soloing you're into and don't seem to hear it much, I suggest checking out Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, and maybe groups like Gungor?

15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

As far as his positioning, he is playing with the mic distance and position, using it as a volume control. It's really a cool effect live.

stringslinger likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

And yet - he's a guitar god to a lot of earthy-crunchy dudes.

That's why Epiphone Olympics went through the roof $$$

17. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love Dave Rawlings. He's easily in my top five favorites players. Amazing. Good singer, and a good songwriter, to boot.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do agree that there's a lot of pointless wankery in modern (post 1967) guitar solos, but this one doesn't fix that problem to my ear.
    Kind of noodling along up and down, not really going anywhere or saying anything musically.
    I heard a lot of that kind of lead playing in living rooms and kitchens back in the '70s and early '80s.
    Sorry!

Sometimes after too much steak we just want a damn potato.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.