Why do I keep "shopping" for Strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Flat6Driver, May 30, 2019.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

There’s also a sunburst model...and even if I were to get one (which would probably be the white one), I’d change the pickguard—either pearloid/mother-of-toilet-seat, tortoise or fur-on cowhide.

Because I’m tacky like that. :D

nojazzhere and Flat6Driver like this.
  2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

My name is Will and I’m a Stratoholic.
    I won’t even try to talk anyone out of a Strat. They’re comfortable, versatile, sleek and cool. My favorites are vintage spec, but anything that feels right to you, jump on it!

Blue Bill and awasson like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

After I sold my gold AVRI I thought - I have a Flaxwood Stratoid with SD lipsticks that quacks. But I had some spare cash, this Fender FSR black Am Special with white collars and cuffs and maple neck and big painted headstock with matching colour and hardly used.....

I'll probably play it and flip it.... A grand US landed in Oz, should be able to make some change on it.

Screenshot_20190601-164238.png

Flat6Driver and Zepfan like this.
  4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Lads: which of us is going to tell him?

telemnemonics, awasson and nojazzhere like this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was going to say the same thing. Get an Eric Johnson Strat and all you’ll want to do is play it. The GAS will be greatly reduced.

I’ve got three Strats and all three are awesome guitars. My guitars aren’t locked in cases and I’ve always got one and more often two within reach at all times. The EJ was the most recent purchase and if it was the first, I’d likely only have one Strat.

Everyone like pictures, right?

This is normally at hand
    193D17B5-A923-46E8-B5E5-F3FD2CE1996E.jpeg

Or this
    48DAF9C8-E2BF-475C-A713-0128308DE84C.jpeg

The three musketeers
    84906090-81A1-4F27-9C3C-3342CB6D422E.jpeg

One Strat to rule them all
    353C8D06-BECC-4B14-9F6D-8059BA29BF21.jpeg 15825AE3-C66B-459B-B7D2-2271A761936A.jpeg FF077147-CA50-4B6E-877A-F2461BC44DC1.jpeg

Piggy Stu and brookdalebill like this.
  6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

I just keep trying to like one. just one. every one I ever owned I tossed back. just dont like the way they feel on my right hand. Im a les paul type palm rester on the bridge and the back of the strings and if you rest your palm on the back of a strat like that i get nothing. but click click click clank clank clank...my style is no suited for strats?

Telebeestar and Piggy Stu like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd like to get my hands on a Robert Cray Strat, not sure the frets are big enough though.
    By the time I mod the basic Strat design enough to suit me it's not really a Strat any more.

soulman969 and Fiesta Red like this.
  8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with shopping for Strats.

As long as you dont keep buyin' em!

My main electric guitar is a Tele, but I own more Strats than I do Teles.

I think the Tele is like the mythical "good wife" who can cook, clean, and knows how to repair outboard motors...

The Strat is more of a glamor girl. Higher maintenance, only cooks one or two dishes well, but she's got that sugar that keeps you coming back.

9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I pulled the MIA blue on out tonight but got interrupted by the family before really getting to play much. I really want to A/B it with the burst one. Seems like the burst one has a bit more punch.

Maybe I’ll find a nice white one and put TX specials in it. Or something.

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

You can never have too many Strats.
    0113010709.jpg 80277.jpg Fender-Player-Strat-PF-Sage-Green-Metallic-Front.jpg lg_1_1_0504648.jpg tn1_92455.jpg 0373010500_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg
    Those are, from top to bottom, Am Pro, Am Performer, Player series, Classic Player 60s, Deluxe Roadhouse, and Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strats. I didn't include my orange Affinity or Japanese made Fernandes LE2, which is my only maple neck one.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    lineboat, Fiesta Red and JayFreddy like this.
  11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Perhaps don't let the wife read this

soulman969 and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 TDPRI Member

I went thirty years playing my Tele pretty much exclusively (I have a 60s Duo-Sonic as backup) until last year when I inexplicably got Strat Fever. I bought a MIM Deluxe Roadhouse with PF board and built-in pre-amp and loved it. I loved it so much it convinced me to get its sister, a satin finished maple neck MIM with push switch that activates the bridge pup in positions 4 and 5.

I loved that one so much too that I ended up in the market for an MIA. Looked for a long time at Am Pros, but ended up with a '99 Am Std. I tuned it up and plugged it in and all it took was one strummed chord to fall in love. It's the strat complement to my original beloved '88 Tele. I weirdly no longer feel any need to browse the shops. I'm good. Hopefully for a long time!

awasson likes this.
  13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I played Blue Strat last night at band rehearsal....I will have to review the recordings to see how out of tune I made it with the floating trem. Of course I'm still "shopping" this morning on Reverb and Ebay. I saw that post in Bag Dog where someone bought a guitar because they were in a bad mood.....hmmm, I find that often, I'd be tripping over stuff!

awasson likes this.
  14. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I have never owned a Strat. I own a MIA Nashville B bender and a Blue Jazzmaster ( special run from CME). But .. a lot of my favorite guitarists play Strats. So I do a lot of "looking". Its fun, of course. But my main playing guitar is my Black Falcon.

15. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I don't think anyone ever "needs" more than 6 stratocasters.

16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I have 2 that are mine (and one that is going to a friend and parts for another I am not sure what I will do with) but I am always looking at others.

Would like to have one with P-90's and one with humbuggers.

If money were no object, I think one of every color would be nice.

But my 2 were both gifts so they are not going anywhere. I have a 1996 SRV that I am thinking of putting rails in and a 1988 Pewter American Standard I am having a 70's classic neck put on (the original neck is just too skinny, though it has such beautiful rosewood fretboard and a great-feeling satin finish).

lineboat likes this.
  17. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Probably my favorite color combo for a Strat with a rosewood fingerboard. Pure class.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  18. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

I used to shop for them and gave up.
    I just don't like them. This took my buying 5 of them to figure out.
    Tele,LP and 335 style are what I shop for now.
    A Super Strat might make it into the house one day.
    Might.

19. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

My biggest regret in the Strat department was not buying a G&L Legacy. It was about the same price as a Fender MIA. That MIA Strat was the best playing guitar I have ever owned. I just couldn't get on with the pickups. Plus, I am a tele player at heart. I'd still like to have a Strat around for some of the sounds and tremolo. They are very nice at what they do.

20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I keep shopping for strats because i'm not right in the head. YMMV.

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.