1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do I keep coming here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1977CJ5, Aug 15, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I spend a lot of time on my computer. Mostly for work. I am self employed, so It does not matter what sites I decide to visit.

I stay logged into this forum. I keep in minimized, but I find myself opening it up every couple of hours. The question is why???

The Telecaster is one of the simplest guitar designs ever made. A plank, a neck, and maybe 2 simple pickups, oh... and a 3 way switch.

How much can one read or learn about the guitar and the people who play it. Why should I care? But... I do.

Sometimes I go into the sub forums and I read technical info. I don't have a clue what I am reading. I wonder who are these people? Are they scientists? But, I keep reading, feeling unworthy and ignorant.

Why do I care that some guy in Alabama got a new Tele? I don't know, but I do.

Why do I care that someone in Philadelphia ate chicken and rice? I don't know, but I do.

For the most part all of the forums consist of nice people with civil replies. So I know I don't lurk hoping to see WWIII.

Why do I keep coming here?

2. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

because it gives you a sense of connection and community while you spend most of your time working alone.

Now what did you say you were having for dinner again?

3. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Hamburger patties with gravy, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, and of course sweet tea.

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, times two. Its very much a social link.

Oh, and dinner will involve.....charcoal and grill.

5. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Because the people here are for the most part funny, intelligent and interesting. I came here looking for guitar info and stayed for the camaraderie.

6. Twangthang

Twangthang Tele-Meister

+1
    Sitting here listening (floored) to a member's sound cloud tracks floored... being inspired.

7. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

And Chet is here too. :)

8. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm largely in the same boat. Been doing research constantly for the past three years (mostly in my pyjamas...the way real historians do it!) and I come here very, very often....probably to find that sense of community and remind myself that there are actually OTHER human beings on Earth (and that they haven't been dead for 90+ years).

As the vast majority of my work will be "at home" or the next several years (at least until I get a dedicated office, which is SOME time off yet!) I'll probbaly do the same.

I was i nFrance for three weeks (just got back a coupledays ago) and for the first two I was loving my unconnected-ness. In the third week I looked in on the TDPRI a couple times and it was REALLY nice. It did make me reflect, however, that while I was away I had ZERO gas and once I started looking again I got gas for the same pieces I had gas for before I left. I don't know if that was part of my returning to reality or whether it was a return to fantasy and delusion. I suppose one could ask that question about most mental transitions, large or small, in life.

9. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

hey 1977CJ5 can you keep dinner warm I think I will be a tad late:0)
    but kidding aside Im the same way I keep track of the latest thread. Im well inform now I know much more about luthier>set-up>pedal>amp than I was back in the 70's.and I preffer today's knoledge better then the 70's...lol . now I know why guitar play's better in different season tuner's etc.etc.
    and it's thank's to this forum and the people
    Daniel

10. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

This:

And, this:

As we've said before, it's our virtual pub, where we share our love for Teles (and other stuff) with good folks that have something in common with us. And, also, because it's a nice place. Warm & welcoming. Kudos to Paul and the mods for working their butts off to keep it that way.

mud

11. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Because, let's face it, like most of us here, you have no life!!! :lol:

12. tooncaster

tooncaster Tele-Afflicted

Telarkaster and stevesz nailed it. But I'll add that it is a really nice reprieve from the depressing news from the real world, the constant snark of the blogosphere (regardless of political leanings), and the idiocy of YouTube commentary. Here people are polite, knowledgeable, funny and insightful. Even the snark is friendly.

Sometimes someone posts a video of a musician I don't like, but I keep it to myself. Why be a downer? More often I discover new players here and develop an appreciation for players I already knew.

13. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks BrokenJoe... That's kind of what I was thinking.:(

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

What?!? Someone in Philadelphia ate chicken and rice?!?!?!?!?

Oh...MY...GAWD!!!!!!!!

Wait, why am I here?

15. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I found this site because I wanted to modify a Telecaster. Turns out that there are a lot of great people here. Now, I look at it everyday. Mostly because I don't have anyone to talk about gear with in my normal life. Problem is, I've gone from being interested in Teles to being obsessed.

16. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Never had chicken and rice together. Seems kinda sarcastic...being that alot of chickens eat rice.

Don't they?:confused:

17. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

You come here because every day is new guitar day! :D Ha ha. I would echo what others have said about people being funny, warm and receptive. And the collective wisdom here is immense! If there was a Telecaster University (I'll volunteer to be Dean because I'm going to be looking for a job when I'm finished school soon), you could have a lab of students cull the archives of this place and write *the* definitive A-Z on the telecaster -- everything from its history and technical specifications to the culture of its players and its modern transformations. Man, some of the builds around here are inspiring, as are some of the stories. I still occasionally think about how that story (of the salesman finding the original receipt for the guitar he sold Keith Richards in the 70s) developed from nothing into a rich, colourful historical account. If anything, this place reminds me how connected we all are, but in this case, the connector is this wonderful, somewhat arbitrary invention called the Telecaster.

18. TXAg14

TXAg14 Tele-Meister

It's all about the community. The people here are great, knowledgeable, friendly people.

19. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Chickens eat rice? I thought they ate corn... and bugs.

20. TeleGlider

TeleGlider Tele-Meister

Any way you want to cut it...it's just a great place to hang out.
    I've learned a great deal of course but more than that I'm touched by
    other posts which share more personal insights about veterans or the passing
    of a loved one for example. Regardless of what the topic is however...a big shout out
    for all the members and the great job the site managers and moderators are doing !!!!
    Any time you post here you have the feeling that you are "among friends".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.