1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do I always end up preferring expensive strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, May 1, 2016.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

well not alwasy, but a lot of the time. Pyramid nickel rounds--those thing are great. Less tension, it feels like, for the same gauge. Same with thomastik: you get the fat sound of a heavier gauge with a more flexible feel.

Totally willing to admit that it's just corksniffery, although I tend to be a jazzbo/old school jump blues guy and maybe I like strings that get more of that sound.

Could be worse--strings for my upright are well over 100 bucks a set, and that's the cheap stuff. A set of good gut strings will set you back 4-500 bucks. Which is why o don't have a set of good gut strings

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Hmm. I've just discovered Aluminium Bronze and Cobalts, and they're not cheap by my parsimonious standards. They really do seem to have something over their more traditional counterparts though.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Personally I liked the DRs Pure Blues for the same reason; I always hear good things about Pyramid so I'm curious which ones you're using - they seem actually to have a few versions.

4. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

It's strange, I tend to gravitate toward the brand and gauge I started out with. I bought a Takamine acoustic as my first guitar and it came with a pair of D'addario 12's. I didn't change the strings or even get the guitar set up for at least a good two years. Over those two years, I learned a lot and got used to the guitar.

The feel of the guitar was not exactly "conventional" by any means. The action was higher than Snoop Dogg on 4/20. I actually thought that higher action differentiated the good guitars from the bad ones.

When I went back into my local instrument shop and picked up a guitar, they felt almost like toys. The guitars were solid and dense. The strings were slinky, and low, and easy to bend, It was weird. I asked the cashier if I could make an electric feel like my acoustic. He said sure, threw in a pack of D'addario EXL145's (12-54 gauge) and a free set up with high action. Only then, did the guitar actually feel like a good guitar in my hands. (For those of you wondering, yes, I do big bends, and very often.)

I've never changed string brand my whole guitar playing career. It's not that I'm reluctant to try new strings, it's just that these work and feel good in my hands. I can't really justify spending a lot of money on a pair of strings because most people probably can't hear the difference between 7 gauge and 13 gauge strings when it really comes down to it. It's even less likely the average joe would hear the nuances between different brands of the same gauge strings. (I'm also not saying that you should play for the people, do what makes you happy! If you like the sound/feel, then go for it!) And this was all because D'addario 12's were just what originally happened to come with my first guitar.

Anyway, Exposure and comfort are funny things, aren't they?

5. maxvintage

I like these:

http://www.juststrings.com/pyr-gr61256.html

My local shop used to carry them and I got hooked. That set comes with around and an unwound G string, which means you get and extra useless string in every set. They do last a longtime

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Someone gave me 6 packs of Pyramid nickel rounds that I don't like at all. I'm using them on my Strats, can't wait til they are gone.

Guess I'm just used to my Ernie Ball Slinkys. Nothing else feels right to me.

7. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

These are my favorite strings since many years, work great with Tele's and Strat's. I also like their Maximum Performance set.

I don't want to be the wise guy, but I hope you read the instruction to make a 90 degree bend before cutting them to the desired length. If you don't do that, they will sound dead.
    But like you said, you may prefer nickel plated over pure nickel.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think is corksniffing at all. I use Thomastik strings and Martin Retro Monel steel strings. Yes the TI's are expensive per pack, but I get 8 months to a year out them. That makes them just about the cheapest strings out there.

I could get maybe 2 months out of 6 buck D'ads, but do the math:
    $6.00 every two months for 1 year=$36.00 and that's if I got 2 full months out of them, usually closer to 1-1 1/2 months. Cost goes up. Ti's @ $25 are cheaper.

And I'd be willing to bet that most people who use D'ads aren't getting that much life out of them. A couple of weeks to a month seems about average from people I talk to: Every 3 weeks would be $104.00 for the year with D'ads. How much are TI's?

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Do you use Thomastik-Infeld George Benson's? Even from JustStrings they are $35 a pop. I feel I'm keeping George in champagne and ladies.

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I've been using D'Addario 9.5's for years. I don't break them, so they last until I change them, which could be 10-12 months sometimes. I would love to try their NYXL strings, but at about $15 a set, they're too rich for my blood.

11. maxvintage

I used to use the Bensons on my archtoip, but no more! Too expensive.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My hearing must suck because I can't tell the difference between GHS, D'Addario, Fender, Ernie Ball or any other string. I can't tell the difference between D'Addario or Martin acoustic strings.

For me Pyramid or Thomastik-Infeld would be like lighting dollar bills.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In the EU these are the CHEAPEST strings one can buy so "expensive" is relative.These are nice strings but I prefer nickel plated steel strings cause they are twangier.So give me Ernie Balls,GHS or D'Addarios and I am a happy camper.

Me neither,they all sound the same,but they FEEL a bit different (the best feeling are still the EB's for me they are really smooth and low tension) the only HORRIBLE strings I have tried are Rotosound Yellows,the wound strings sound dead like flatwounds ,ZERO twang factor.

14. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

The strings you are referring to are not the Pyramid Nickel Classics (orange package), they are not cheap not even in Europe. The ones you are talking about are the regular Nickel strings from Pyramid which are about 3-4 €, the Nickel Classics are around 7-8 €. I never liked the cheap ones much.

15. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I like the Thomastic Infelds, but I usually just use GHS pure nickel ground wounds.

16. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I easy get ten gigs out of a set of TI's flatwounds whereas I used to change every one or two with my old brand of roundwounds so I'm money in.

17. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Expensive? I have always used Elixir Nanowebs which are definitely not cheap but they don't rust and keep their tone for months before they start going off. With my toxic skin chemistry I can rust a set of strings in a couple of days. Elixirs are a godsend and ultimately very cost-effective for me, both on acoustic and electric.

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I tried the expensive ones too (they are roundcore vs the hex cored cheap ones) these were even duller,didn't like them at all.Like I said give me the regular "big 3" and I am a happy man.

I change them anyhow after 8-12 hours of playing cause no string lasts longer if you want twang.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

For some reason this thread is starting to make me laugh. The forum usually gets sucker punched by the ubiquitous and recurring partscaster vs Squier vs MIM vs American vs Custom Shop (i.e. economy to high end) and now to go even further folks are discussing "low end" vs "high end" strings. This just strikes me as a little ironic and humorous. Plus, I just noticed that the OP referenced his own possible "cork-sniffery". (I do not subscribe to the cork sniffing labels as I think folks who post here are serious about their guitars and gear thus it's a different strokes for different folks).
    Me, I can't really tell the difference in strings. So, in my case it would be foolish to spend extra money on strings because I'm blissfully ignorant with hands of stone and ears of broccoli. However, for those who are discerning enough it would be well worth the extra coin to buy more expensive strings.

20. maxvintage

I'm the op, and it was supposed to make you laugh

I like the darker sound of the pyramids and the fact that they are more flexible at the same guage, or so they seem. I agree the TIs last aloooong time, but I go may months sometimes without changing strings. I really dislike the sound of fresh strings.

But now that I know pyramids are cheap in Europe I may have to revise all my thnking!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.