Why do football coaches use the huge old-scool head sets?

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
CR2DMOILDZHOXBIGNW7CLZJXNE.jpg

I mean, the guys in Metallic use light weight in ear monitors. Look very uncomfortable. Looks like they're trying to bring back 1974. There must be a reason beacuse they all do it.

1015052_100315-ktrk-ap-charlie-strong-img.jpg

Why??

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I thought this was gonna be about EMG 81/85 sets.

My guess would be because they work better, AND they don't need to worry about dislodging them by vigorously headbanging, an occupational hazard for the guys in Metallica.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
I would think it is louder on the sideline of a football game, especially in a college game than the stage of most Metallica concerts. Also coaches are having full on converstaions, with thier staffs, and they cant scream what they are replying back so everyone can hear.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would think it is louder on the sideline of a football game, especially in a college game than the stage of most Metallica concerts. Also coaches are having full on converstaions, with thier staffs, and they cant scream what they are replying back so everyone can hear.

OK......I'm not trying be difficult and your propbably right but if so, why have one ear fully exposed to all the noise? T o me hat would like having two vocal monitors pointing at me. One sounding hevenly and the other sounding like an old car horn going off. I don't get it. Every time that i watch a Packer game I wonder.

El Serio

Tele-Meister
OK......I'm not trying be difficult and your propbably right but if so, why have one ear fully exposed to all the noise? T o me hat would like having two vocal monitors pointing at me. One sounding hevenly and the other sounding like an old car horn going off. I don't get it. Every time that i watch a Packer game I wonder.

My thought: they're trying to simultaneously be able to hear both the headset and the players, officials and other coaches who are on the sideline.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
There are many reasons.... but mostly, Safety

In ear monitors or headphones can be dangerous. I will hear this ringing in my head for the rest of my life, probably 20% of the folks on this forum are in a similar boat.

Situational awareness, the point is that you CAN hear what is going on around you. If they get knocked off your head it won't harm your hearing.

Comfort.... a good pair of on ear headphones can be worn for hours on end with a lot less fatigue.

fleezinator

Tele-Meister
Broadcast headsets are often 1 ear allowing the user to hear their immediate surroundings + monitor. They're big so as to mitigate loud noises that impede intercom/monitor. They're also sized that way to distribute the weight evenly over your head as they'll be worn for long hours. Don't be fooled, they aren't heavy and are quite comfy.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
each league adopts a system provided by a vendor. The comms have to be secured and secured in a way that fits their spec. The heavier duty headphones provide both safety and a hard wire connection (again the security thing) to make sure that all that are in comms are the folks who should be. It is a cumbersome task to ensure all of it.