1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do folks hate PRS guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cutter2001, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

I had to add a Vibramate Spoiler, so that I could make a string change faster. I haven't had a string break on me, at a show. But, I feel better just knowing that I could do it, if needed.

Before I got a Starla, I was playing PRS SE's with GFS Retrotrons. The sound was pretty close to the Starla. That was the start of not playing my other guitars. They were great guitars, but I really liked the sound that I was getting. The SE's are great guitars, for the price. I found that Nashville players like Brent Mason and John Bohlinger, were also playing SE's, for specialty stuff. Like a B-Bender or baritone guitar.

[​IMG]

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Agree with what Rod says, also.

And Al Di Meola is a fairly reputable guitar player that uses PRS.

3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

In general I'm no big fan of how the PRS look, but that one is extremely cool :)

4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Basically, if PRS wasn't the primary guitar choice of countless second-tier Nu-Rock poodleheads from bands like Nickleback and Creed, I doubt there'd be any backlash against PRS at all.

Saying one hates PRS is a bit like saying "I don't like electric guitars." There are so many models, both in the oft-denounced "bling" variety and cooler vintage vibes -- and in expensive US and inexpensive SE models -- that one can only generalize about them by knowing little about them and having played very few.

5. graydogg85

graydogg85 NEW MEMBER!

Here's the thing about most PRS guitars: they are primarily designed and built with modern rock in mind. They are versatile enough to cover a lot of territory sonically, but their wheelhouse is modern rock / alternative metal / nu-metal. For this reason, a lot of folks will either love them or hate them. They have a very smooth, balanced, almost machine-like precision to their sound. A lot of Gibson and Fender guys hate this because it lacks the raw, organic tones you get from those guitars. I liken them to Taylor on the acoustic side, and a lot of traditional Martin guys feel the same way about Taylor for mostly the same reason.

Personally I am a fan of both - my main acoustic and electric guitars are a Taylor and a PRS respectively. Different strokes for different folks.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, just like Teles are specifically for country music... :rolleyes:

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can only play Santana on a PRS..

8. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

One of the guitars I sold was a S1 Starla similar to this (although mine appears to have a more opaque finish.)

+1 on tuning stability... I had no problems with the Bigsby at all.

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I like the P90 SEs- single or double pickup. Great fretboard shape for slide playing.

Never pay any attention to the expensive models- but then, I have no interest in blingy £1500 guitars from any manufacturer.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't say I hate them, they just don't work for me. Out of all the ones I played I've only found one that was comfortable to me, a red McCarty. Ergonomically they don't fit my body. I own everything from a Gretsch 6120 to Teles and Strats to acoustics and have no trouble switching from one to another, but PRS's just don't seem to fit. It has nothing to do with the quality or sound of the guitar, it's just how they feel in my hands.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't hate them, I just think they were/are overhyped. The Ten Tops, bird in-lays are beautiful but, to me, it's a skin deep thing.

I owned one (10 Top) and never played it (eventually sold it and resale wasn't that great). It offered nothing over my Les Paul.

Overpriced, overhyped and, unlike Les Paul's, Strats, Tele's, etc no tradition.

12. frogger

frogger Tele-Holic

This is a dumb thread period. Not everyone "hates" PRS. I have my Fender CS guitars, a Gibson 339 and my PRS herd. I love them equally well, they are just tools people not jewelry. Every guitar is different! Can I get an "organic tone from my PRS Starla?...you better believe it brother. PRS has come a long way to improve the tone of their pups in many models. I think it's rather sad that some get tunnel vision and formulate their opinions based on playing just one guitar or one model.

13. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Agree! Threads like this make me laugh - as well saying "why do people hate Pizza?" or "why is Fender better than Gibson?" etc...

14. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

PRS envy.

15. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

If it is indeed envy, then it is merely envy of purchasing power. PRS guitars are expensive, for the most part and really the only thing required to get one is sufficient funds.
    This kind of envy goes deeper and says a lot about the person and has nothing to do with PRS, guitars or music. I has to do with feelings of inadequacy, self doubt and worthlessness.
    The same is true for the person who buys an expensive guitar for the purpose of being envied.

16. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

Well said. Some people just don't like PRS guitars because it's not their thing. Some folks don't like them because they can't afford them or because they have image issues with playing a non-iconic guitar. Some people love PRS guitars because they play well, stay in tune and sound great for the music they play. Some people love them because they're expensive and pretty and they see them as some sort of status symbol. People are just different. It's hard to peg any particular person as being somehow indicative of what everyone else supposedly thinks.

I love my DGT. I'm not really interested in most of the rest of what they have to offer. I think I'd enjoy a Starla or Mira, and I'd love to have a hollowbody spruce piezo, but I'm simply at a point where I don't see the sense in spending the kind of cash the latter would command (I'd rather have an SG AND a Strat AND a nice pedal, or a good 335), and there are too many guitars, pedals and amps I'd rather have than the Starla or Mira. I'm keeping the DGT, though. It's one of the very first ones from 2008, and it is an amazing guitar that inspires me every time I play it. If anything, I don't give it nearly enough love.

17. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I think they're monstrously ugly. They just rub me the wrong way. And I don't like the "fancy" wood patterns they tend to come in. It's like tacky bling.

18. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes: ... and so we go, round and round the merry-go-round.

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

They often seem to be the guitar of choice for "that guy". You know, the neighbor with the new Porsche 911 GT-3 that got beat by Japanese 4-door sedans that time he took it to the Autocross, the guy with the huge bag full of the latest Nike woods and irons that consistently shoots in the 120s. He has a Krieghoff shotgun but couldn't hit the ground with both barrels much less shoot skeet.

He's the ADD dabbler that immediately buys the top end equipment in any pursuit, thinking that mere ownership will bring him ability and credibility. He owns a top of the line Paul Reed Smith, but hasn't had time to sign up for lessons yet. That guitar is emblematic of him and his type, and the stigma has rubbed off on the whole PRS line, right down to their cheap import models.

Still, that guy is nice to have in a group because he will often buy round after round of drinks in order to believe that people like him. He's also a great source for cheap used gear due to his gnat-like attention span. You might be able to get a great deal on his old PRS because there's a new limited edition Santana Signature Artist model coming out.

He can't name one Santana song besides Smooth.

20. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

Zuzax... You just described my friend(who's buying a PRS soon) TO. A. T. Good on you, sir.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.