1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Why do folks hate PRS guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cutter2001, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

If you want the Mosrite look, but better action and butter smooth vibrato mechanism, try the Hallmark 60.........

I have personal experience playing that....... a beautifully made modern clone of a Mosie, with none of the playability issues.

2. Buxom

Buxom TDPRI Member

I'd do it, but I'd just find a MIJ Mozzy, you know one of the 80s/90s ones? Still a pretty penny, but cheaper than the original ones.

The originals are overpriced most of the time anyhow. I liked the light weight, though, very easy to move with.

3. eugenedunn

You're missing out if you don't try one of those Hallmarks..... excellent fit and finish....but maybe too nice fer you? Still.....check them out.....amazing. The guys over at the Surf 101 forum are crazy for them because the builder addressed all the playability issues of the original Mosrites.

One of my buddies bought one and it's a beauty.

4. Buxom

Buxom TDPRI Member

Yea, I ain't into nice guitars. I like stuff with grit, ya know.

I'd definitely check em out, but I've heard they're mid ranged priced. How are the pickups? I really like Dimarzio, in fact I love Dimarzio.

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think WarmGums hit the nail on the head.

6. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

What I like best about them ( flexible electronics) usually doesn't make it into the bottom of the line affordable models. What some apparently like about them I don't care for in the least. Birds and flame are for the flaming birds. That nod to alembic is in their DNA and I weather it to a point however. Otherwise I trust the build quality and playability and quality control at any price range, even shopped out for overseas build.

My first exposure to them I think was at a classic time for them in the 80's or early 90's. They were less into flame grain and more into subtler transparent, solid or flat metallic finishes I like the 5 way rotary knob, and the sales pitch, which hooked me then and I give it weight still, that you could get LP, strat, or tele tones from the flexible electronics, which was relatively true considering other attempts at offering up tone flexibility so far at that point. (Although all attempts at such hybridization of tone are by their nature a compromise). It doesn't have to be a five way knob to get those tones, it could be a five way switch and push pull pots, or flip switches as long as the flexibility is there.

Now there are more variations and models than I care to keep straight. Too many simplifications, but perhaps still marketed under the ersatz appeal of calling it a signature Model. I might prefer the relative lack of cosmetic flash of less expensive models, but I still want the hybrid tone flexibility, not a three way switch or less.

Mind you this is the opinion, someone who has spent mere minutes ever holding one themselves. Just noticing them in the hands of others.

I have never heard one sound bad or ho-hum on stage, even if the player wasn't taking advantage of that flexibility I feel is vital.

7. eugenedunn

Chancerubbage......yes, the 5-way rotary switching is the thing for flexibility. I've thought about changing it up for push-pull / 3-way toggle, but I find it quick and effective as is. The only thing I've done to my Custom 24 over the 20 years I've had her, is to slightly change the tone cap value for a brighter tone.

ROTARY POSITIONS

Position 10: Treble pickup
    Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel
    Position 8: Series single coils – Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
    Position 7: Parallel single coils – Crisp version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
    Position 6: Bass pickup

8. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

I think this is close. I own 2 but neither is a 10 top or blingy. They are pretty understated for PRS.
    But I'm not a huge FMT fan. I would rather have a plain top Gibson as well.

9. eugenedunn

There's a lot to admire in a workhorse that's pretty.......cream rises to the top. It's why they're successful. The American Dream.

10. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Certain PRS models I rate very highly...Singlecuts, Starla...and until yesterday I owned a lovely PRS SE Soapbar that was ace (traded it for a tele...). But the standard PRS body shape like the Custom 22 leaves me cold. I just don't like looking at them. Unlike so many other guitars from virtually every other major manufacturer I have never once looked at a standard PRS guitar and thought 'wow, I want one of those'.
    And the big chunky neck heel and edges around the neck/body join on the standard shape models bugs me too. Looks horrible and is a bit silly and unnecessary on a set-neck guitar, IMO.

11. cheeseman

cheeseman Tele-Meister

GREAT band name

Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for...

RIDICULOUS TRIBALISIM! ;)

12. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

if it's good enough for Chad Kroeger and Nickelback ... who am I to say anything?

13. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

Until fairly recently, they were more expensive than most Fenders and many Gibsons...

I have a PRS SE One Korina that I got as part of a Deal of the Day offer at MF. It is a wonderful guitar, basically a really light and resonant Korina Les Paul Jr. It can be a little trebly if you're not careful (no tone knob), but it sounds great when I record with it and the single P-90 can always cut through the mix like a throatier version of a tele bridge pickup.

However, even though I live 20 minutes from the factory, I never even considered buying a US model because the value proposition just didn't seem to be there. While a DC 22 will still set you back $2500, the S2 line at around half the price looks promising. It has less bling, but good bones and should compare favorably with Les Paul Studios and American Standard Teles.

14. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Now that made me laugh, and rethink owning any PRS. Just kidding.

15. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

From back in the day:

[​IMG]

See also:

16. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I seen govt mule last year at bonaroo And warren played a couple of prs's

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've never heard one sound distinctive or inspiring either.

18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That depends on the whole chain, not just one component in it.

19. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I don't hate them at all.

I think they have some quite musical single coil sounds and some really useful sounds for jazz or jazz fusion. I think they sound better with double bass, for example, than a lot of guitars. I don't even find them blingy. In fact, I've always admired the way they managed to nail a look of their own without being over the top. It's hard to come out with a shape that works so well and is easy to identify.

I've never owned one but I'm glad they are there.

20. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Nor had I til I played a DGT. The great PRS IMO.

I don't hate them, I just don't love them other than the DGT.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.