Why Different Neck Pockets on Teles and Strats?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joealso, Oct 21, 2019.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I got to wondering ... It seems to me that some of Leo's design thinking must have included standardization and cost reduction in manufacturing. The bolt on neck is a perfect example. So it made me wonder why he went with a different neck pocket when he came out with the Strat. If it was an improvement, why not standardize it? Anyone know?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Why have different necks for Teles and Strats, for that matter? But... if the necks are different, why make their heels the same?

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

This ties in with another thread about the different headstock shapes of Teles and Strats. Maybe Leo did it this way to prevent a worker inadvertently putting a Strat neck on a Tele body? (and vice versa) It's almost like he didn't want ANY common parts between the two. (Bridges, necks, pickups, etc.) But it does seem he could have done a better job of standardization.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Strat was supposed to replace the Tele -- 'more better in every way' -- and the heel arc of the Strat neck gives it the ability to be adjusted easier to align the strings on the neck vs nut and bridge location.

They never changed the Tele because the idea was to be able to replace necks as the frets wore out. So they needed to carry both sets of parts anyway.

Zepfan, CFFF, joealso and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.